worried about the size of my cob filly ...

gypsygirl91

New User
Visit site
Ok , i found the most gorgeous little filly foal last year , met her fell in love and now own her. she really is my dream come true and we have an amazing bond. i only ever have plans for her to be a happy hacker. When i met her , she was still with mum who is a 14.3hh (a little small for me ) but well built welsh cob and she is a real lady so i thought, and she turned out to be perfect for my mum, so when she went up for sale we bought her to as got to know her really well.We was smitten with both of their personalities we put a deposit down then and there. They didnt have any pictures of dad at the time, and i was constantly assured from the size of her at the time , she would be bigger then her mum. But then a few months later the lady we bought them off sent us pictures of the mum with the foals dad just before she was ready to leave. OMG he is a stunning , huge feathered blue blagdon gypsy cob but he was at least 1h smaller than the mum ... I was so in love with the foal i decided i was willing to risk it, thought i could always drive her if she was to small to ride. The foal is now 9 and half months old and 13.2hh. It would be a dream come true for her to make 15hh . I am 5,5 and 12.5 stone at the moment (on the way down now thanks to all the poo picking lol) but i need a horse that will be comfortable carrying me (dont mind looking a bit silly as long as is happy and comfy) p.s i have shorter legs and a longer torso and also apple shaped (unlucky i know lol )... From your experiences what sort of size do you imagine her to make ? I have been told she is making a good size so far and grand parents play a role in the final size. How much more would you expect her to grow from the details. thanks in advance

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
If she's 13.2hh now she's most likely to make a decent size.
That said, my filly was 13.2hh at just over a year and now as she's about to turn 4 she's only 14hh.

Have you measured from the centre of her knee to her coronet band, that is usually a good indicator. Each inch represents a hand when fully grown, so 14 1/2 inches would indictate 14.2hh.

I am now in the situation that you are worrying about, have a filly that's really too small. I am the same weight as you but only 5'3".
My height isn't a problem, and for a pootle about neither is my weight but I'd not want to do anymore on her until I've lost weight.
I am only 21% of her weight, so even by the 20% rule, I'm really not too big for her, but I'm still paranoid.

I've had her since she was a foal so selling just isn't an option, we will make it work one way or another because I'm not prepared to sell her to get a bigger horse.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
stick her on allan and page faster fibre, it seems to have some sort of mirical grow it in!

my boy is rising 3, was supposed to make 15'2 fully grown. Dad is 14'2 conny, mum is a 15'3 tb. and my boy is already 16'1 :s he's full bro, is rising 5 and is only 15'3

so hopefully your mare will go! but I dont think you'd be too heavy if she only makes 14'2!

my mare is 15'2 conny x tb and I got her 13 yrs ago when I weighed 15 stone, she carried me easily, would keep going for hours on hacks, would just anything! I have lost weigh now, which helps coz she's 28 now! but still carries me just fine! I'm 5'7 and have really long legs and ride really long too and I don't look too big on here! Ps I wear 34inch trousers, thats how long my legs are!

MasterBenedict

Visit site
My rising 2 year old is only 13.2/3 at the moment and I'm positive he will reach his predicted 15hh so I would not worry :)

I would second the string test, 99% of the time found it to be correct!!

Angelz

Visit site
Mines also rising 2 and 13'2 but his head and knees are way to big for his body so I'm hoping he'll grow into them and be 14'3

micramadam

Visit site
Please please do not feed specifically to make them grow quicker or bigger! You'll end up causing havoc with their bone development and have all sorts of issues as a result.

If your filly is 13.2 now at 9 months, you have a very good chance she will be bigger than her mother. Do you know how big her grandparents were? that may help in giving you some indication as to final height/size.

Orls

Visit site
I'm also concerned about the height mine will make. She's three and only 14.3 at the moment. I was really hoping for a horse not a pony! However she is a warmblood and they do take longer to mature. Her mother was only 15.2 .... I'm going off to do the knee to coronet band measurement and see. Her head does look rather large on her body so if she grows into that hopefully she'll be a better height. I'm 5'7" and do feel a little tall on her. I've no idea what weight I am but I'm not huge haha!

I agree with others saying don't be tempted to feed her to make her grow. You want to be keeping a good natural diet at this age.

gypsygirl91

New User
Visit site
oh no , i have heard good things about certain feeds, but due to type etc, she is just on ab hay , and 24/7 grazing . i did the string test today from the middle of the knee to the coronet band , i wasnt 100% sure how to do it exactly so i ran the string down taunt ,against her skin and i came out with 15.3hh . is that how to do it ? or should of pulled it straight down so it was simply touching the knee and the coronet. 15.3hh seems very unbelievable .. have no idea on grandparents unfortunately and neither does the last owner x