Worried horse Mom - Mare with suspected placentitis. :(

ConnemaraFolk

Visit site
So everyone, I'll just give you the facts firstly:

- 294 days pregnant today. Took last cover on the 12th of May, 2021. Not receptive to stallion on the 14th.

- 11 year old Mommy. Has had two babies previously. No problems.

- Was scanned in foal at 17 days with TWINS. One twin squeezed. Checked monthly (scans) for 4 months to make sure there was no issues.

- 16-3hh big framed NH TB mare, slimmer type of build. Difficult at the best of times to keep weight on. But had been doing really well over winter etc. Getting the best of everything.

So now for the story...

Mare presented a bit foot sore last Friday and little off form, staying away from her friends, not eating the same amount. I brought her in to the stables to monitor and give her the once over. Get her feet paired etc. I noticed when I took the rug off that she's not OVERLY big as in I was thinking "Jeez is this mare still in foal?". Thought I was being ridiculous as she is a TB and they don't all carry big especially because she's in foal to a Connemara stallion who is 14-2hh. Fast forward to today, I was cleaning her stable. Noticed she had only eaten half her haylage net. I turned her out into the arena with her buddy who she has known all year. For some weird reason, her buddy had a "moment" and cornered her in the arena and double barrelled her 3 or 4 times into her bottom, vagina and vulva. Of course I was panic.com. Brought her in, checked her over and just found she had a scuff of hair missing and some small lacerations/bruising on the lip of her vulva. Looked painful but that didn't overly worry me. When I was cleaning her wound with some disinfectant, I opened up the lips a small bit and noticed a bit of yellowy tinged mucus and thought "Oh no". I loaded her into the horse trailer and brought her straight to the repro vet. Vet pulled blood off her and while he ran that he handled her. Found no mucus in her vagina upon looking. Cervix was closed and not relaxed. No production of milk or bagging up. But he did say "But I wonder where this foal is if she is due in April?". So he ultrasounded her immediately and said she was incredibly "Deep" that the uterus was all the way "down". Found the foal. Saw the membranes/placenta didn't appear to see thickening but it was difficult to get a proper look due to the size of the mare. Thats when I said "She is meant to be due in a few weeks" and his response was "I wouldn't necessarily worry about that as she could end up carrying 4 weeks over her time, not uncommon this time of year". We waited for the blood test. Came back with MASSIVE amounts of white blood cells. He said she is fighting some very big infection which very well could be placentitis. He said to treat for placentitis regardless. He injected 2 x 20ml of some strong antibiotic I had never seen before into the vein and sent me home with Trimediazine antibiotic powders. 2 x per day and 12ml of regumate for the rest of the pregnancy.

Wondering if anyone can let me know their own personal experience with placentitis. Did it result in a viable foal? Should I be concerned that she is carrying small? I have only had one experience with placentitis which was pretty progressed and the cervix was already 4 fingers opened with relaxing behind, ended up aborting at 7 months. This mare is not at all like this. But I'm scared for her and I'm scared for her foal.

I know the longer we can maintain the pregnancy and hope the antibiotic kicks in, the better the foals chances are. Would love some optimism but would like to know some real life experiences too.

Asha

Visit site
My friends mare had placentitis last year. She took quite some time to get into foal, then started with this. she was on antibiotics and regumate. Which had the desired effect as she ended up going full term and had a beautiful, but small foal. He needed plasma when he was born, but has since thrived. hes a lovely chap and really nicely put together. he got a gold at the BEF.
Try not to worry, youve done the right thing, and it sounds as though the vet has this sorted.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I have experienced it a few times with TBs. The treatment plan you are following is sound and most of the ones I had ended up with a healthy foal. Be aware of lamintis coming on and also placentitis increases the likelihood of a red bag delivery so it is essential that someone knowledgeable is present at birth.
Try not to worry, you are doing all the right things.

usaequestrian

Visit site
I've never experienced this before, hang in there and contact your vet if you have the slightest instinct something is wrong.
Sending good wishes from the U.S

PurBee

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your mare. I dont have personal experience of this issue but wanted to send good luck vibes, as i know an in foal mare is a mixture of an exciting and worrying experience. It sounds like your vet is good and has everything controlled for now. Do you have the vet close-by for assistance when foaling happens? I‘d want to make sure there’s an experienced person near to you to ring for assistance at foaling.

I’ve only ever foaled 1 foal…well, the experienced mare did it all and it was a smooth foaling. I read a lot while waiting for foal but your case has me wondering if the foaling process could be medically induced when foal is to term, if the infection and time of year could mean a 4 week later delivery? Does that happen in horses - to induce birthing? Just a thought id ask a vet. Hopefully the antibiotics eliminate the infection swiftly, so foal time occurs normally.

It’s interesting the buddy kicked her when turned out. Makes me question animal behaviour and them knowing more than we give credit for. I’ve noticed ill animals being rejected by healthy animals - they smell infection and changes in the animals usual smell. Maybe, due to this incident, keep the buddy separate until foaling, which youre probably doing already.

Fingers crossed for a smooth foaling.

ConnemaraFolk

Visit site
Update for you all

she is 298 days today. Went to the vet yesterday. More blood tests. Miraculously blood shows NO INFECTION. It’s a mystery. Either that or the infection was completely controlled by the aggressive treatment.
She has 3 more days and then the vets will take her off the antibiotics. She will remain on 12ml of regumate.

discharge entirely stopped. Mare is eating and more normal. Like normal again, thankfully.

I am a bit concerned about how small she is carrying. I know she is an ex NH race mare that’s very big and rangey so hoping the foal is hiding in there and is not going to be dysmature.
I have a photo of her a year ago vs one week ago. She is certainly deeper now but she’s nothing like the other mares that are pregnant here. But that being said she is the biggest by far.

Attachments

• 7494378F-C325-4B91-A738-80DC8BEE0632.jpeg
    7494378F-C325-4B91-A738-80DC8BEE0632.jpeg
    599.4 KB · Views: 77

ConnemaraFolk

Visit site
I have experienced it a few times with TBs. The treatment plan you are following is sound and most of the ones I had ended up with a healthy foal. Be aware of lamintis coming on and also placentitis increases the likelihood of a red bag delivery so it is essential that someone knowledgeable is present at birth.
Try not to worry, you are doing all the right things.
I’ll be there. I don’t take my eyes off the cameras when not at the stables ?

Asha

Visit site
If it helps, she doesnt look much different to my mare. Somedays the foal is tucked a bit further up and she just looks like shes had a bit too much hay. Shes 285 days. My mare was the same last year as well, and produced a stonking great foal. I guess its just like people , you get those lucky women who just dont ever seem to get big.
The next few weeks are when they start to get bigger.

Try and relax and enjoy mare in foal watching now, it wont be long before junior makes an appearance , and theres a whole load more reasons to stress then:D

ConnemaraFolk

Visit site
Hey folks. Mare is 310 days today.
Wondering at what day I should take her off regumate???
Placentitis appears to be gone. No issues. All is fine. Still taking 12ml of regumate and 1 sachet of antibiotic per day. But zerooooo progression and all signs of infection gone entirely

Reactions: tda

TheMule

Visit site
Hey folks. Mare is 310 days today.
Wondering at what day I should take her off regumate???
Placentitis appears to be gone. No issues. All is fine. Still taking 12ml of regumate and 1 sachet of antibiotic per day. But zerooooo progression and all signs of infection gone entirely

320 normally as that's the 'safe' time

ConnemaraFolk

Visit site
Bad news…

unfortunately we lost a VERY massive palomino colt foal. Would of been the colt of the summer. We are so very sad.

she had a very strange representation of delayed red bag. Straining to foal etc. vets nor us could do anything and the foal was dead by the time the red bag appeared. RIP little man.

Mare now also has septic metritis & laminitis which is being aggressively treated. It came on 6 hours post delivery despite having antibiotic powder. We suspect that there was some bacteria that remained in the cervical star. :-(

Horses_Rule

Visit site
Desperately sorry to hear this news CF , rest assured you did everything you could but sometimes nature is so cruel. Sending all the vibes to your mare for a speedy recovery

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What a dreadful shame after you did everything right to help them. I hope your mare pulls through.

TheMule

Visit site
Bad news…

unfortunately we lost a VERY massive palomino colt foal. Would of been the colt of the summer. We are so very sad.

she had a very strange representation of delayed red bag. Straining to foal etc. vets nor us could do anything and the foal was dead by the time the red bag appeared. RIP little man.

Mare now also has septic metritis & laminitis which is being aggressively treated. It came on 6 hours post delivery despite having antibiotic powder. We suspect that there was some bacteria that remained in the cervical star. :-(

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry for you, how tragic. I have everything crossed for the mare now ?

TPO

Visit site
So very sorry for your loss. Wishing you the best with your mare and hope that she has a speedy and full recovery.