Worried traveller, any tips?

9tails

Visit site
My mare's reintroduction to travelling started this weekend. With the trailer completely empty of partitions, she eventually went on the trailer on Saturday and each day has got better since. She now has absolutely no hesitation about getting on and is leaving via the front ramp in a civilised manner. Yesterday the ramps went up and, although she was marching on the spot, she was also snatching on the tasty haylage. The trailer has full breast and breech bars in place.

Today the ramps went up again and I decided to take a very short very slow and steady drive of approximately 5 minutes. Wow sweaty horsey! Off she came, but once again didn't hesitate to get back on again.

Has anybody had worried, sweaty, marching and pawing travellers that have gotten over their fears and if so how did it happen? Is it just time and practice or is there something I can do to make the process more pleasant?

ThePony

Visit site
OH mare used to get very worried travelling, bless her she never had a kicking fit while travelling, but she used to shake and sweat up. For her it was the rattles that terrified her. Turns out that Ifors are just too rattly for her, she travels as cool as you like in our Wessex!

Sophstar

Visit site
My cob was an awful traveller when I first got my box, in that he would be soaked in sweat and look so relieved when you opened the ramp up and get off asap. Partly due to the fact he hadn't travelled regularly for years. However after plenty of trips out he became a travelling star. He travelled for 45 minutes on one of the hottest mornings of last year to a sponsored ride and didn't have a drop of sweat on him and was patient to stand and wait in the box whilst I got my number etc just admiring the view through the side ramp I had opened.

Practice, practice and more practice:) Just always make sure each trip is a pleasant one. My cob's balance isn't that great so I used to travel him super slow. Took us longer to get anywhere but meant it was a smoother trip for him!:rolleyes:

flirtygerty

Visit site
My lad had a scare on a roundabout and was reluctant to load afterwards.
I spent time trailer training him, bribing him on if needed, now show him a carrot and he beats you up the ramp
Time and patience is the answer

9tails

Visit site
I can get her on now no problem, she's keen to get in and will go in without the front ramp down. But the actual travelling is awful with marching and weaving. We made more progress yesterday with about 10 minutes of standing relatively quietly eating haylage though the trailer wasn't on the move.