Worst people you've had turn up for a loan/share...

Tuffles 23

Visit site
I had one , had a long talk on the phone with her Dad and he raved about how good she was and she had done dressage ect, well she turned up to meet my horse and i tacked him up she seemed a bit shocked that i would want to see her ride:eek: well she had not a clue so i lead her round for ten min then said thank you but no thanks.
I also had a lot of phone calls from people wanting a free horse :eek: my horse is very well schooled and worth the £20 i was asking .
I do have a fab sharer for him she's 15yo and has been with us for a year now and is part of the family :) and is taking the old guy to pony club camp this year :)

putasocinit

Visit site
I am going to put the cat amongst the pigeons now, ut why do all you people have horses that you need sharers for, i can understand the lady whose sis cant ride again, but the others?

Elsiecat

Visit site
I am going to put the cat amongst the pigeons now, ut why do all you people have horses that you need sharers for, i can understand the lady whose sis cant ride again, but the others?

Can I ask why you care?
And as pony is 11.2 and I am 5"6 and 10 stone. Is this permitted?

Tuffles 23

Visit site

I have 2 kids with there own ponies who are now doing alot of pony club stuff so i have less time to ride so what is wrong with my horse getting some tlc from someone else ?

putasocinit

Visit site
I dont care, but as this is an open forum i was simply asking a question, is that allowed?

Your second sentence then no it is not permitted, so i guess pony used to be your childrens, or a small pony who was shown in hand and you now want it to be exercised, can it not be lunged?

Or is it a case of financial help to be able to keep your horses but you have to offer something in return to the sharer which would no doubt be for them to be able to ride, because if it meant getting an event horse fit because you had too many to get fit yourself then you would normally pay for this priviledge.

putasocinit

Visit site
Before my innocent question spiralls out of control, i do not disagree on this, but then why post about all the useless people who have enquired about sharing, and then turn around and say your horse could do with some tlc from someone else!

The mind boggles so, does this forum

glamourpuss

Visit site
I wanted a sharer as I had a youngster & didn't have as much time to devote to my older boy. I didn't want him out on loan & he had a lot to offer as he's a 'been there done it' sort of chap as he's BE evented Novice, BS show jumped, hunted, dressage etc. he's well schooled & polite.
I had a response from a girl & she seemed fine. I met her & she talked a good talk about what she had done/ridden/reschooled, so I agreed to let her try him.

She rode him in the arena. She walked & trotted him perfectly well but didn't really show that she knew how to ride on the bit etc
She came again a second time again just walked & trotted. I suggested she had a little canter. After an age of faffing she finally asked for canter. Horse popped sweetly into a correct & obedient canter.
The next second she started screaming
'STOP, STOP, STOP, HE'S BOLTING WITH ME'
Whilst hauling on the reins. Horse, who was thoroughly bemused, stopped.
She quickly got off & started saying she had been terrified & that he was dangerous!
I pointed out that he hadn't done anything wrong, I got on him & showed her him cantering.
She refused to get back on & left so I put horse away.
Thinking that was the end of it & that she had realised she was far too novice to think about a share.
I nearly collapsed with shock when she sent me a text that evening saying she was willing to help me school him & she wanted to take him XC schooling that weekend.

Hmmmmm I don't think so ;)

niagaraduval

Visit site
Mine is because I have owned my horse for a long long time and have always done everything I could to make sure I could keep him happy, and he needs special care which I doubt anyone else would spend/take the time doing and seeing the market I know where he would end up and I love him to pieces.

I am going through a bad time with long hours and not much time, don't think it would be fair just to sell my horse though as this will get better and the sharer is just for now, not forever.

Elsiecat

Visit site
I dont care, but as this is an open forum i was simply asking a question, is that allowed?

Your second sentence then no it is not permitted, so i guess pony used to be your childrens, or a small pony who was shown in hand and you now want it to be exercised, can it not be lunged?

Or is it a case of financial help to be able to keep your horses but you have to offer something in return to the sharer which would no doubt be for them to be able to ride, because if it meant getting an event horse fit because you had too many to get fit yourself then you would normally pay for this priviledge.

Kids? No. Nope not shown in hand either.
She was a pity pony to keep my horse company. We sorted her health problems out. After a few little rides we've found out she really enjoys it.

And financial help? They pay 10 pounds a week. That's really a drop in the ocean! And the girl getting the pony event fit!? She's only been riding a few months. Her parents are stuggling to afford lessons but are very very happy with this agreement and are happy to pay a small contribution so they feel like they're paying their way. 10 pounds a week and we're even offering to take her to shows in summer.
Its a mutually benefical agreement that has had a young girl screaming with excitement this morning when she found out - a horse to treat as her own. Her dream - what's so wrong with that?

Hmmm, maybe I should ring them and cancel :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site

Life happens.

Can you absolutely guarantee that your life will stay the same for the next 20 or more years?
That you will always have enough time, always have enough money?

The only alternative is to sell and there's enough horror stories around to make it clear why people don't want to sell.

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
I'm a sharer :D have been with the same lady for nearly 12 years now so must be doing something right!

I came fresh from a riding school, having never even mucked out or ridden on the roads and now am schooling a beautifully talented ISH and riding a very fresh 17 year old with Cushings and I LOVE them both as though they were my own! I learnt all the stable duties, riding on the roads, jumping etc etc - riding a privately owned horse is so much different to an RS horse!

I'm due to go to uni again in April but the owner has said they're as much mine as they are hers and they'll always be there for me :)

She supervised me for 6 weeks before I was left alone with the first share pony and I was grateful for that as it only meant she was comfortable that I could be left alone with her horse! :)

I love doing all the stable jobs and have learnt so much. I'm dreading moving away again in April...I'll have to come back every 3 weeks or so to see them!!

We're not all bad!

K x

lucindakay

Visit site
i think putting a horse on share benefits three parties, firstly the owner, secondly the sharer and finally the horse. i am putting my horse out on loan as i have exams there is no pint in selling him if in 6 months time i can have him back and everything will be the same, in most cases you will know where the horse is unlike when you sell a horse its gone and out of your control.

i have had 3 loonies in the past 6 months,
first girl came she was the generic 'i'm doing equine studies at the local college i've ridden loads of different horses at my riding school(they were assigned to that horse for that lesson) and i think i need to make the step between owning my own and becoming independent of riding school' nothing really wrong with that but it was all infact lies, she was awful, toes down, hands at her chin, and her riding hat was about to fall off, my horse was advertised as 'expereinced rider needed for schooling and occasional showing for my TB ex-racehorse, please only experienced riders he is a baby'(that sort of advert) and she said she had done all sorts, the issue is at the riding school they may be the best rider but enter the actual riding world on working horses they have no clue, so sadly i had to say no and good bye.
another was a young girl saying she had helped back and re-school ex-racehorse, i say perfect come on down and meet the horse, she turns up, short and round, i do not mean to offend anyone but when your 15st stay away from TBs for their sake, so i had to say no again.
finally another novice who could have been capable in time but i duggested maybe in some time but i needed someone now, turns out she had been coming back and riding 3 times a week without my knowledge and telling people i let her ride my horse and could she borrow the tack room key..... i was fumming!!!!!!!

but today i found a lovely loan home where he will be loved and pampered so not all bad!

lucindakay

Visit site
i also forgot to mention when it goes right just so both sides, if you are looking to share or are looking for some to share, that its not all doom and gloom,

my bestfriend from primary school never had touched a horse till she met me, she was tiny comared to me so when i outgrew my ponies i would pass them down to her and we shared them, it really made having ponies even better as i always had someone to ride with, i also think i made her life better as she would never have been able to afford a pony let alone riding lessons and now she has my first pony and my mums old horse on loan, i can easily say i'd be lost without her, also when my mum was seriously ill before she passed away my best friend was the reason we kept our ponies and horses because when i couldn't do the horses she was there and she understood, 16 years on and we are still best friends, and i got hack my other two ponies with her and the girl she shares them with, i have truely been blessed.

i have also been lucky as i bought a beautiful mare just before my mum got sick, and her old owner stepped in and shared her with me, that really made things easier it also made me realise what a genuine horse i had bought as the previous owner was still so deeply in love with her, sadly i had to sell her on, bu to her old owner so both parties are happy!

just some happy stories to show that there is light at the end of the tunnel

puss

Visit site
I have a lovely 16,2 cob for loan hes 22 he great for a rusty rider but not a novice rider as takes the mick also because of his age i want him to have a slower pace of life. But he needs someone whos going to have to remind him hes 22 otherwise he will gallop until he drops dead loves a hack bombproof but needs someone to tell him to slow down. All iv had is novice people who cant even hold the reins let alone tell him to slow down just about does the riseing trot and cant tackup in plain snaffle bridle. Just about to give up and try and retire him again if he lets me.

Natch

Visit site
Not my pony but when helping a friend find a rider for a green and sharp pony, had plenty of people who nodded and said Oh yes they could perfectly handle that, they had backed their own etc etc but when they turned up couldn't even put a bridle on and bricked it when asked to pick out feet... :rolleyes: one was so tense that pony whizzed forward into trot when she asked for the transition, jso she jumped off, flung the reins in my direction and disappeared in a cloud of apologies and nerves, not even stopping to untack pony! She texted the following week asking if she could come and have another try!

TommyTwoShoes

Visit site
We wanted a sharer as my Mum's workload increased so she wasn't getting as much time to ride, her Forester is laminitic so exercise is key to his health. I was away at Uni so I couldn't pick up the slack.

We also 'acquired' a cob from my Nan, who she wouldn't have back and wouldn't let us sell (whole other thread needed for that one!) He had a horrible time when he went away to be broken in (nothing to do with us!) and so we wanted someone to share him first, with a view to loan, to make sure he found the right person.

N.B. She's now decided we can sell him, so if anyone wants a lovely small cob that occasionally decides to bomb off, let me know! :p

Last edited:

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
I think the problem is that a lot of people who would be conscientious/good sharers wouldn't consider themselves to be good enough to share somebody else's horse/pony.

Actually I think its the opposite to this - most more experienced, competent riders can get rides for free, without a contract etc. I regularly ride two lovely horses and I'm very lucky to get to compete one - I pay nothing towards costs (apart from entries/lesson fees/transport etc), I'm just willing to help out whenever I can!
I also regularly ride a couple of other friends horses and am never short of something to ride.

TommyTwoShoes

Visit site
I also know of more experienced, competent riders that would make great sharers. However they seem to think if they're going to ride someone else's horse they should be paid for it, rather than contributing towards the cost of a share.

Sharing/loaning is a mine field, and if you get a good one, keep hold of them at any cost!

TheLankyRider

Visit site
I found that when I shared last year there's very much a negative attitude towards sharers from other horse owners. Furthermore, the owner only seemed to care about how much money she could get out of me. I loved the horse (even though she wasn't as advertised) and was pretty much heartbroken when the share ended when the horse developed a long term injury (I was never told what it was) and the owner didn't want to negotiate on the price of the share now the horse was unrideable and on box rest. I wanted to carry on the share and still go in on all my days just to muck out and spend time with the horse but couldn't afford to pay the rate the owner wanted along with shoes and pay to go riding elsewhere. So I think it works both ways. I've being toying with finding another share for a while now but I think a lot of owners now just run a mile as soon as I mention I'm a novice rider (which is understandable reading some of your stories :D)

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
I had a sharer for my horse, many years ago. It ended when, after 2 weeks, she had:
*Fed my horse carrots (ok)- cut into circles!
*Changed my horses feed-without asking!
*Left horse on yard, whilst she tacked up- untied!
*Took horse on road-after being told to use the off road riding as I wasn't sure what the horse was like.
*Oh ye- didn't pay- ever!

kellybee

Visit site
When loaning my appy with an attitude, I advertised specifically he was green and can buck when excited/hadn't done much road work and therefore was unsuitable for novices/not a first pony. Girl 1 turns up, in tweeds, white jods etc. Asked me if she could lunge before she rode. I told her he was a little stiff on one rein, and to bear with him. Walked and trotted just fine but I was busting for the loo. She seemed firm but fair and confident. I raced to the loo, ran back around the yard just in time to see her crack his heels (and make contact!!) with the lunge whip. He, being the appy that he is turned his bum on her and objected massively with his feet, at which point she tried to tell me he'd just randomly thrown a tantrum.

I took the whip off her, politely asked her to remove herself from the property before I knocked her lights out, and told her with a smile that I'd rather gouge my own eyes out than let her loan him. She burst into tears, muttered something I didn't catch and wheel span out of the yard past a line of riding school ponies all waiting to go out on their first lesson.

maisie06

Visit site
Can't quote but ImpossiblePony you are totally right!

I would say I am a very conscientious, sensible and responsible person. I am lacking in the experience department but I would love to help somebody out with even just mucking out/general chores as a way to further my own knowledge and learn the ropes. I see ads looking for sharers from time to time but I never even consider applying for fear of being laughed at/looked down on etc. I definitely wouldn't feel good enough to help look after some bodies pride and joy and I would need advising/observing for a few weeks which I think would put people off. Catch 22!

Can you come and live in Sussex please?!! I have a lovely little chap that would suit that I don't have enough time for at the moment!:D

maisie06

Visit site

Because I only hack and I have a lovely horse that has the potential to do very well in competition, My sharer has a horse of her own that hacks and drives, sharer wants to do some dressage, my horse has the ability but I don't! This is where sharer comes in - she gets quality animal to compete,I get to see my horse going better and better and enjoy the grooming part - simples...

popeyesno1fan

Visit site
Wow, I'd love to say it was a once off, but from experience, it soooo happens.. Alot of people just dont get the fact that they are the they people that have to look after the children and the ponies. xx

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
I was looking to loan a horse as my Alfie was out down just short of Christmas. Got a reply to my ad on PreLoved saying this lady had a fabulous tb needed abit of schooling, could move to any yard etc. all very good! Went round to see horse rode it it went Barmy couldn't get any contact on the bit just awful. Then when I got off a lady from the yard (not owner) goes 'well its just come off the racecourse' HELL FIRE I thought! Anyhow owner comes to stable 'well do you want him, you can take him today' basically she just wanted rid of him! Thank god I said no I never went again!

maree t

Visit site
We have several ponies that we will never part with. When the kids are too big then I will advertise for a sharer for them . I dont want to loan them as they will stay with me and friends kids come and ride occasionaly .
I dont mind novices , after all that is how I started riding properly.
I am dreading those with inflated ideas of how well they ride would prefer that they were honest.