Worth even bothering with eventing anymore?

wench

Visit site
All thoughts welcome. I love eventing, it's all I think about. I ride my horse with the intention of training towards eventing. I've been attempting to get out eventing of different horses for years, and generally the results are the same, withdrawal or elimination (BE).

It doesn't seem to matter how much training I put in, the backup sj/dr comps I go to, or the horse I'm on, the results are still the same, indicating that it must be me that's the problem.

I currently have a very good horse, who should find it very easy and enjoyable. She needs some training to get there, which I'm working on.

Thing is, would you even bother trying to carry on? It's obviously very expensive, and with work and limited transport, the training and match practise are hard to achive?

Horsemad12

Visit site
Ditto above. Do you have lessons, what does your instructor say?

Honestly most riders on a good horse should be able to do a 90cm with the correct support and training.

If you love the eventing and want to do it I would try and work out what box is not ticked and try and change that.

eggs

Visit site
Maybe try unaffiliated eventing - it will be cheaper. It might be worth trying something like a sport's psychologist or NLP practitioner to see if they can help with whatever your problem is.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Can I ask if you are having fun? Obviously not at the point of being eliminated, but generally do you enjoy the training, the preparation and the bits that go OK during competition? If overall it's fun, why stop?

unicornystar

starbug02.wix.com
as others have said work out why you are being eliminated? maybe your horse just isn't enjoying it?

I much prefer unaffiliated events, more choice, no ballots, you can pick and choose your venues etc. I once had a horse that did everything but dressage, SJ through and through, he was NEVER going to event at any level, sometimes you have to pick your competitions for your horse and what they are capable of and enjoy...

Arniebear

Visit site
Eventing/horseriding in general is meant to be fun! Are you having fun??? there are many ways to event without the BE price tag, quite a few BE venues run unaff round the same courses so its basically the same but half the price and then theres PC and RC too. Having said that if you want to BE (i do - so know the feeling) then work on the things that are going wrong and try again, just remember you arent failing if your trying! If your entering BE's to win, then im afraid thats an expensive thing to do especailly when it goes wrong, unless of course you have an all singing all dancing £20k horse! but if your entering them for fun because you and your horse enjoy it and the score at the end of the day doesnt matter to you then crack on, yes its disappointing when it goes wrong, i started BE this season and by our 2nd event we racked up a score of 165 because ******** pony decided that as we were at our local training ground he could nap for england.... i was pissed at him, he hadnt done it for ages and why then when the entry cost me £70 and it goes on his record!!! he flew clear round the BE before hand and the BE after, sadly broke after that but heyho! horses for you!!

What im trying (probably failing) to say is things go wrong and that cant be helped but if you are constantly getting big Es across your record, you need to address why, dont give up, just figure it out! maybe drop down a height? is it a specific phase? sj? xc? if xc is it a specific fence? water? ditch? drop? do your nerves get the better of you and effect your riding i.e sensitive horse? all of these things can be fixed! With a good support of instructors behind you it is do-able!

but no DONT GIVE UP if its something you think about constantly then giving up wont make it any better!!! Try setting your goals a little lower, so rather than a top 10 placing at x event say i want to get clear xc or clear sj or get over that damn ditch!

wench

Visit site
Will and try to respond to points made.

Reasons for wd. First horse I went on neither him nor I were ready, that was my own stupidity. Second horse I went once on before I sold him; I was very ill and w/d after dressage. Should never have gone in the first place. Last outing on (new!) horse, five years after last BE event, w/d due to horse being sticky xc. An event later in the season would have been better, but due to work commitments I couldn't have gone/would have been very unprepared.

Tend to do BE 80 as I have limited transport, either during the week or on Saturdays. Counts most unaff out. Due to limited transport also means I get to "do" more than one thing in a day, ie dr, sj, xc, instead of three different weekend outings, which will probably still cost the same as a BE event.

Current problem is I get nervous. Very nervous, which horse picks up on. Horse has been overfaced xc so is a bit wary, but is getting back on track. She certainly is much better eventing dr and sj to any of the local show centres, so I don't believe she hates it.

smja

Visit site
Do you have someone to come with you for moral support/kick up the bum?

This sounds a bit harsh, but my sister faced similar issues to you - everything conspiring to make her nervous and questioning if she/horse could do it. We agreed that I would come with her and not let her even think about backing out. She did get eliminated xc with cumulative refusals, BUT she finished the course and was so pleased :) Since then, she's got better every time and came second last season.

be positive

Visit site
It sounds as if you have had limited opportunities to get out, which will not help the nerves as however hard you try to avoid it the fact that you are unable to go out often means there is extra pressure to achieve something when you do get out, completing a BE 80 should be within the abilities of almost every horse and rider but I would think starting with a couple of unaff 70's would be best if you can find some that you can get to, there must be some in your area, a couple of really secure confidence building outings will help the nerves as well as build up the experience you are currently lacking of doing all 3 phases on the same day.

Having support on the day should help the nerves, if you have transport problems maybe look at finding an instructor that also competes that would be willing to take you sometimes in exchange for you helping them another day, or something similar there are plenty of people in a situation where they have transport and only one horse that may buddy up for a few outings, try posting on the BE forum once the season gets nearer or on here, you never know what may be offered.

Pigeon

Visit site
I love eventing too.

Watching it, that is ;) I still try and go to events to watch, I try and support friends who can actually ride, and like to keep in the loop, which is enough for me :) For me it is just too much stress and money and time to be worth it. Plus I'm wussy XC. ;) I think unless it's something you can do often, it will always be a big deal and will be stressful - and to be honest regular BD is a financial commitment most people can't make. Could you get the same buzz out of something else? Fun rides or hunter trials, or if you're more of the competitive type, dressage, show jumping or combined training? I've done loads of BD this year, it has been a really positive experience and hasn't broken the bank. And if you have a crap test, you get another shot the same day, or can even just go back the next week, and it's only £20 written off.

If you are determined to stick with it (and I can understand if you are, I refuse to give up on anything!!) what about attending some clinics over the winter? Arena XC clinics or sessions with a 4* rider might really help!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Im not sure why doing saturdays rules most unaff out. I certainly wouldn't be doing BE just to do 80cm. There are plenty of things to amuse me at that level a lot cheaper!

I think the get the chance to do all 3 things in a day is part of the problem tbh, it means there is a lot going on/to concentrate on which certainly wouldn't help any nerves I had. I'd much rather be doing all three successfully separately first.

oldie48

Visit site
Why not just go out and do some UA prelim tests and aim to get 62%, go showjumping and aim to go clear round a 90 cm course consistently and get out to some hunter trials or XC schooling and do the 90 cm jumps with confidence. Then when you can do all that, do an 80cm event, confident that you can do a much bigger track with no issues. I've personally not evented but I have spent lots of time supporting my daughter and she didn't event at a level until she was confident she could do the individual parts at a higher level first otherwise there's just too much pressure.

CAH7

Visit site
Sounds like you're giving yourself a hard time! It must be really hard to get the competitions and training rounds in when you struggle to get transport, so I would imagine you feel extra pressure to do well when you finally do get out. I'm a complete wimp, but I struck lucky with my brave Bog Pony, a fab new trainer, and some great, supportive friends who came along to my first BE and patted me on the back when I had 3 show jumps down and 19 xc time faults ;)
Keep going though, if you love eventing! I totally get it. I've got the bug too :) Best of luck!!

wench

Visit site
Most of the unaff around me runs on a Sunday, which rules it out !

I prefer three things in one day, as I get less fixated on what could go wrong!

rara007

Visit site
It all sounds like a lot of stress? Is it worth it for you? It is a hobby, a lot of money going out presumably for pleasure. Nothing will change if you make it around a BE80 or only an unaff, or only a farm ride, or ever jump again.
There's no shame in sticking to other things/just training for the pleasure of it! Maybe if you take the pressure off and just do what you enjoy and what you have time for, you'll find your niche and level. Maybe that will be eventing at this level, but it doesn't sound like its working out looking at it this way. Remember it's for fun!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

But that isn't working as you haven't been managing to actually do the three things in one day. IMO you need to do both, the ability to do the separately is also important. I understand having issues with transport which can sometimes put more pressure on, although it is also possible to turn that around and say it is impossible to take it too seriously and you can't always say you have been able to do all the prep you would have liked to but that isn't your fault it is just circumstances so you just do your best. At the end of the day it is just whether the entry is worth the pleasure you get out of it and only you can know that.

wench

Visit site
I love going :) if it was all to much pressure and stress I wouldn't go! My horse is so wonderful to ride (most of the time), you can't help but have a good day out!

meesha

Visit site
How about hunting to prepare for xc, usually Saturday plus other days in weeek. Will help for xc, autumn trailing is relatively cheap but won't start again to sept ish! Also fun rides which unfortunately are mostly sundays, some have 40+ xc jumps all optional and at most £25 a go!

Dusty85

Visit site
Its expensive enough to just keep a horse, let alone something as pricey as eventing- and from the sounds of it you're not really enjoying it.

If you're truly not enjoying it, then you might benefit from just taking the pressure off you/your horse for a bit. Go hacking in new places, go to the beach, etc etc. Just learn to enjoy each other again.

I think I am at the same point as you- love eventing but i just can't face the pressure in what is supposed to be my hobby.

Firewell

Visit site
What about finding a good instructor who can work with you to achieve your goals. Tbh success is mostly about practice and believing you can do it. If you are going to the event with no practice and nervous thinking you can't do it then no wonder its always a WD or E. If you want a different result you HAVE to do things differently. You need to find a way to get out and practice at shows, dressage, clear rounds, xc schooling ect and having good regular lessons will help you refine your skills and give you the belief you can do it :).

FfionWinnie

Visit site

But you aren't getting to do three things you are paying for 3 and withdrawing.

Sounds like you should spend the money on more lessons and saving for your own transport so you can ultimately achieve your goal.

I know I could get round a BE80 on my horse but I also know that isn't enough for me, I want to do more than get round. Hence I am sticking to unaff comps and loads of lessons for now.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Why not just go out and do some UA prelim tests and aim to get 62%, go showjumping and aim to go clear round a 90 cm course consistently and get out to some hunter trials or XC schooling and do the 90 cm jumps with confidence. Then when you can do all that, do an 80cm event, confident that you can do a much bigger track with no issues. I've personally not evented but I have spent lots of time supporting my daughter and she didn't event at a level until she was confident she could do the individual parts at a higher level first otherwise there's just too much pressure.

Haven't read all of the replies but this- except, I'd be aiming for 65% + prelim test and 62% Novice test for DR.

Luci07

Visit site
You need to make a plan, which also means drawing a deep breath and thinking this through. So, I would work out a proper budget of what you can afford - no guesswork. Then you need to work out a plan, starting with your ultimate goal. I hope you are not forking out to be affiliated and are sticking to day tickets at the moment!. I think from reading your post, that you are putting so much pressure on yourself that this then messes up with your confidence and enjoyment. Training at a higher level than you want to event at is the best way of then walking into this without freezing with nerves. How do you know your horse will blow up hunting btw? have you tried and that happened? because unless the mare has been out a couple of times, you honestly never know how they are going to react. Also, which part of the day is the bit you are most worried about. I know mine is XC and I go along to any DR with no nerves whatsoever. SJ a little bit more but its the XC which has been thinking so it is what I do a lot of training on so that it is not a big deal when we come to do it again. Look at local BE trainers, find a local event rider (ask on here) who could help you, find an event buddy to work with (makes it much more fun) and stop beating yourself up! I don't think I will ever emulate the absolute high I had when I got round my first (then an intro) on my new horse. We had a cricket score but we got round, in one piece and I was in 7th heaven. We improved once I had got over the first hurdle!.. which was my nerves!

Horsemad12

Visit site
All thoughts welcome. I love eventing, it's all I think about. I ride my horse with the intention of training towards eventing. I've been attempting to get out eventing of different horses for years, and generally the results are the same, withdrawal or elimination (BE).

It doesn't seem to matter how much training I put in, the backup sj/dr comps I go to, or the horse I'm on, the results are still the same, indicating that it must be me that's the problem.

I currently have a very good horse, who should find it very easy and enjoyable. She needs some training to get there, which I'm working on.

Thing is, would you even bother trying to carry on? It's obviously very expensive, and with work and limited transport, the training and match practise are hard to achive?

Having read all of the replies and also going back to your original post then yes I would say don't bother.

I know that sounds harsh but if you are nervous, your horse has been over faced and you can't get out for lessons, schooling and competition then you are going to struggle.

To progress you need practice. XC schooling, SJ practice, lessons, ring practice.

It's hard to achieve that on a school master without practice but I would think impossible with a nervous rider and over faced horse.

I would look at your resources, see what you can do from a time, money and transport perspective and concentrate on doing that well. Then if things are going well you can consider if are in the situation and want to try eventing again.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
I haven't read all the posts but from the OP it sounds as though you are putting to much pressure onto yourself. This mixed with nerves on the day will never be a good combination. I got like this with showjumping, but over the last year I have jumped for fun and gone back to producing youngsters and I have had a much better time, and by 'forgetting' to be competitive, I have produced much better rounds by me and the horse and had better results.

If your not having fun doing something it is impossible to do well at it. You ride for a hobby so if you aren't enjoying what you are doing there's no point in doing it.

madlady

Visit site
Does your local riding club not have anything?

Our local RC has a XC course on site (I appreciate that not all do!) and during spring and autumn they will have XC training days and then will run an unaff ODE once per month. They will even allow people to pay and go non comp so even if you get eliminated for refusals you can still carry on to the other stages.

It's around about the 90cm mark but there is a 'red' course (more advanced) which goes up to 1.05.

So everything is done in 1 day to minimise transport and it's a good way of practicing/training. Do you have anything like that nearby that you could go to rather than the expense of BE?

dieseldog

Visit site
I think I would give up. If you cant commit to the effort it takes to be successful stop wasting your money. For the price of 2 events you could go to RC camp and do 3 things on 3 days - much more fun.

gunnergundog

Visit site
'Preparation prevents p*ss poor performance!'

This is something that was drummed into me from a very early age and for a variety of reasons it would appear that you are unable to do the requisite preparation in order to turn in a reasonable performance.

I would take a 12 month sabbatical from competing; set the objective of being ready to do some BE80s in spring 2017 and in the meantime find a BE coach in your area and get some lessons; hire a xc course for a lesson and likewise a course of showjumps. Also, invest some of your money into some sessions with a sports psychologist; you need to learn to focus on each phase at the appropriate time and give it your all.

You and your horse need to be confident schooling at 90cm before entering at 80cm. Also, perhaps consider getting someone else to ride your horse for the first couple of events.

Also, is it eventing that you REALLY want to do or is it just the idea of it?? :)