worth mentioning? traffic police's attitude towards horsebox

blood_magik

Visit site
I may be getting a bit worked up over nothing but I'm a bit annoyed.
Was out in the lorry today with two of our horses. We were just about to exit a roundabout when two traffic cars came up behind us with blues and twos going and they ended up taking the same exit as us.
There was nowhere for us to go to let them by - the verge was grass and had a kerb and there were cars coming towards us on the other side.
We indicated and pulled over to the left as much as we could before the centre divider started a bit further up the road.
Well, they passed us but they beeped and gestured, which I think was a bit uncalled for.

Obviously I know they had somewhere they needed to be which is why they had the sirens and lights going. What I don't understand is why they were rude.

I was wondering whether it would be worth mentioning or should I just let it go?
I don't think the majority of people realise what it's like driving around with horses in the back.

blood_magik

Visit site
to let them by?
we indicated to the left, pulled as close to the kerb as possible and slowed down because we were coming up to the start of the centre divider and they wouldn't have gotten past us after that - it was a single carriageway

Last edited:

blood_magik

Visit site
pointing and head shaking.
You know, fair enough, they had an emergency to go to and I get that it can be frustrating when people don't move out of the way - we just didn't have anywhere to go to let them by.

I have a friend who's with the cop shop - I might mention it to him and see what he says.

Jesstickle

Visit site
if you didn't slow right down or stop then you weren't really getting out of their way. If you had slowed right down/stopped on the exit of the RA they could probably have got round you there. Usually a RA exit is wide enough for someone to nick round the outside if the person on the left pulls right over and slows down.

picolenicole

Visit site
I had similar, but I was in my Land Rover driving home from a party on a 30MPH road. Two police cars came right up behind me WITHOUT sirens and or their lights going and where right up the back end of my car!!! I stuck to 30MPH and at a wider section of road both police cars floored it past us (me and OH) and sped off into the darkness as it was late. I did feel like they were trying to make me speed and if I had to stop in an emergency they wouldn't of stopped in time.

My friend who's OH is a police officer said no point reporting them as they just shrug it off after you put the phone to them. This is the same police force that play hid and seek in their police cars giving qlues where they are over the radio so other police officers can come find them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Had pretty much the same response a few year ago. Driving a loaded horsebox along a dual carriageway when a police car with flashing lights but no siren suddenly appears at a side road.
Other than slamming my breaks on and doing an emergency stop, I couldn't possibly have let them out so I increased my speed as I passed them and got rude gestures in reply.
Dipsticks.
The standard of police driving on 999 calls is far below that of the other emergency services.

blood_magik

Visit site
if you didn't slow right down or stop then you weren't really getting out of their way. If you had slowed right down/stopped on the exit of the RA they could probably have got round you there. Usually a RA exit is wide enough for someone to nick round the outside if the person on the left pulls right over and slows down.

fair enough...
Can't really remember how wide the exit was so I'm not sure if they would have gotten by us there or not.

ETA: had just come off a roundabout so wasn't exactly going fast.

I'll probably leave it, tbh...

Last edited:

blood_magik

Visit site
If it wasn't wide enough then I take it back but I assume that was what they were after you doing?

Its very likely that's what they expected to happen. I'm still not sure they would have gotten by us but who knows...
This is the first time we've dealt with something like this in the lorry

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Contact the force in question and ask for the traffic section

Describe what you saw and did and then let them advise you on what should have happened

If they advise exactly what you did then and only then mention what their officers diid

blood_magik

Visit site
Contact the force in question and ask for the traffic section

Describe what you saw and did and then let them advise you on what should have happened

If they advise exactly what you did then and only then mention what their officers diid

will do this - thank you

EquestrianType

Visit site
will do this - thank you

Leave it....someone was having a far worse day than you otherwise the Police would not have been on their way to them in such a hurry.
Surely you can just take it as part of life rather than following bad advice and bothering the Police over nothing.
On the other boot perhaps you would like to meet them in future for a thorough road side check?...not that they would....but perhaps....

blood_magik

Visit site
Leave it....someone was having a far worse day than you otherwise the Police would not have been on their way to them in such a hurry.
Surely you can just take it as part of life rather than following bad advice and bothering the Police over nothing.
On the other boot perhaps you would like to meet them in future for a thorough road side check?...not that they would....but perhaps....

Not wanting to start an argument, but it is really bothering them to ask what should be done if we should come across them again in a similar situation?
if we were in the wrong, then we need to know what we should have done so its there for the next time.
I would think that they would be happy to offer advice - part of their job description is ensuring road safety, is it not?

A quick email asking for advice is all that ROG suggested.

Last edited:

*sprinkles*

Visit site
Yes you should pull over and slow/stop for emergency vehicles but you shouldn't put yourself in danger either. I've seen a lorry tip due to the driver pulling too far over to let another car past. You did what you thought was right in the situation you had in front of you. The police were probably already het up due to rushing to attend an emergency so any annoyance would have been met with escalated irritation. I wouldn't worry about it. Although as another poster said it may be good to contact them and find out what to do in case this happens again.

Spudlet

Visit site
A couple of coppers I know have had to attend RTAs (separate incidents) where someone was decapitated by the impact. Guess who got to look for the heads? It can be a grim job. What I'm saying is, cut them a bit of slack, you have no idea where they were going or where they were coming from. You did your best to get out of the way by the sound of it (you could perhaps have stopped on the roundabout and let them go around you, but then again maybe not?), they got around you. Maybe they felt you could have got out of the way more quickly, but then again maybe they were wrong about that. If you did contact them, all they would say, I suspect, is get out of the way asap without causing another accident yourself - that's all anyone can do. Let it pass is my advice.

horseaddict

Visit site

The police do not do roadside checks on lorries - VOSA do, so OP will be safe there.
I feel from the OP description that the police driving standards fell short of what i would expect. To stop or slow too much would create a static obstruction, far better to move on and pull in in order for the police to pass safely. I would be inclined to do as someone else has suggested and contact the organisation for advice and yes (shock horror) complain if necessary.

ROG

Visit site
DO YOU HAVE A GOOGLE MAP LINK TO WHERE THIS OCCURED?

Would also appreciate an explanation as to what entry you came from and which exit you were going to

Also exactly where you were on the roundabout when you first saw the cops and what speed you were doing at the time

With all that info I might be able to offer some advice using my advanced driving observer and LGV instructor experience

blood_magik

Visit site
A couple of coppers I know have had to attend RTAs (separate incidents) where someone was decapitated by the impact. Guess who got to look for the heads? It can be a grim job. What I'm saying is, cut them a bit of slack, you have no idea where they were going or where they were coming from. You did your best to get out of the way by the sound of it (you could perhaps have stopped on the roundabout and let them go around you, but then again maybe not?), they got around you. Maybe they felt you could have got out of the way more quickly, but then again maybe they were wrong about that. If you did contact them, all they would say, I suspect, is get out of the way asap without causing another accident yourself - that's all anyone can do. Let it pass is my advice.

I do understand that they have a difficult job and that they wouldn't have had lights/sirens going if they hadnt been going to an emergency.

Will have to chalk this up to experience and hope that next time we can get out of the way a bit quicker.
I might send them a quick email asking for advice for my own peace of mind.

blood_magik

Visit site
DO YOU HAVE A GOOGLE MAP LINK TO WHERE THIS OCCURED?

Would also appreciate an explanation as to what entry you came from and which exit you were going to

Also exactly where you were on the roundabout when you first saw the cops and what speed you were doing at the time

With all that info I might be able to offer some advice using my advanced driving observer and LGV instructor experience

sure. on my phone so give me a few minutes to get my laptop going and ill send you a PM.
Thank you.

blood_magik

Visit site
Here is the link (hopefully it works):
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Irvi...r=Irvine,+North+Ayrshire,+United+Kingdom&z=19

View of road we turned into looking towards the roundabout.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Irvi...oid=YDRruivcWeIXr3gPUvLiTQ&cbp=12,322.03,,0,0

We were coming along the A71 on the left towards the roundabout.
We were already on the roundabout, about to turn off (3rd exit onto A71) when they came up behind us. I can't remember exactly what speed we were doing but we were maybe doing less than 10mph (?) and there were a few cars sat behind us as we went round.

Looking at that map now, I'm still not convinced they could have gotten by us as we turned off. If I am wrong then I will gladly hold my hand up and say so because, as I said, I've never come across blues and twos needing past when I've been out in the lorry.

Last edited:

hnmisty

Visit site
Email them for guidance for in the future if you wish, but I wouldn't report it. they surely couldn't have even told whether you had horses in your lorry? It's not like a trailer where you can see bums. I don't think them being frustrated because they wanted to get to an emergency warrants a complaint being made. It doesn't sound like they did anything dangerous.

What gestures did they make?

Last edited:

blood_magik

Visit site
Email them for guidance for in the future if you wish, but I wouldn't report it. they surely couldn't have even told whether you had horses in your lorry? It's not like a trailer where you can see bums. I don't think them being frustrated because they wanted to get to an emergency warrants a complaint being made. It doesn't sound like they did anything dangerous.

What gestures did they make?

Finger pointing/head shaking sort of thing plus the unwarranted (imo) use of the horn (they leaned on it for a good few seconds).
For arguments sake, would it not be common sense to assume that a horsebox on the road has horses in it unless told otherwise?
Not saying that they did anything dangerous and I can understand them being frustrated but we didn't have anywhere to go so they could get past us. That said, there wasn't really any need to gesture in that manner - fair enough, it's annoying being stuck behind someone when you're in a rush.

I'm not going to be complaining - However, I'm still wondering if it would be worth mentioning that horseboxes aren't able to brake harshly or get out of the way as quickly as they'd like so they're aware that we're not simply ignoring the sirens and flashing lights.

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Here is the link (hopefully it works):
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Irvi...r=Irvine,+North+Ayrshire,+United+Kingdom&z=19

View of road we turned into looking towards the roundabout.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Irvi...oid=YDRruivcWeIXr3gPUvLiTQ&cbp=12,322.03,,0,0

We were coming along the A71 on the left towards the roundabout.
We were already on the roundabout, about to turn off (3rd exit onto A71) when they came up behind us. I can't remember exactly what speed we were doing but we were maybe doing less than 10mph (?) and there were a few cars sat behind us as we went round.

Looking at that map now, I'm still not convinced they could have gotten by us as we turned off. If I am wrong then I will gladly hold my hand up and say so because, as I said, I've never come across blues and twos needing past when I've been out in the lorry.

Thanks

Did they pass you using the oncoming right turn only lane? - if they did then that is what they should have done and with traffic behind I would have stopped just short of the upcoming central kerbed barrier to leave enough room for them to pass and for the traffic behind to get in as well

ROG

Visit site
Your actions were spot on

Other options ....
Continue around roundabout - possibly need sharp steering with horses on board = NO WAY
Slam on before going into mouth of exit with horses on board = NO WAY

Cannot think of any more DAFT options

It is up to the highly trained police advanced drivers to cope with any Blues & Twos situation not the average motorist

weebarney

Visit site
Why don't you speak to who ever is in charge of the farm watch scheme in your area and inform him/her of what has happened. They might be able to put an email out to their colleagues reminding them about the breaking distance of a loaded horse box. It sounds like they have not realised that you can't just stop immediately when you have horses on board.