wot bedding????

lesley j

Visit site
Hi, we are fairly new horse owners and am hoping for some advice on bedding for our gelding. When we bought him we were told that he eats straw if bedded on it and to use shavings instead. We have been doing this but it looks uncomfortable and he is very messy during the night and wets all over the place! We have been told that some people use straw if they spray it with a mild solution (dont know what its called) wondered if anyone out there has used this and how effective it is? also how safe is it, because he may try to eat it anyway? Also been told that stovies are a good option and that they can be bought in bulk - does anyone know of a good website? any tips on the subject would be welcome. thanks

Sparkly Snowdrop

Visit site
I use wood pellets and love it I wouldn't go back to anything else now. My horse eats straw and shavings make me cough and create a horrific mess blowing around the yard. I buy mine from Liverpool wood Pellets a tonne at a time, they come on a pallet and take up very little storage space. I'm not sure what stovies are, sorry.

lesley j

Visit site
maybe stovies are wood pellets, they have been described as like cat litter as it expands when moistened and soaks up the wet.

lesley j

Visit site
I use wood pellets and love it I wouldn't go back to anything else now. My horse eats straw and shavings make me cough and create a horrific mess blowing around the yard. I buy mine from Liverpool wood Pellets a tonne at a time, they come on a pallet and take up very little storage space. I'm not sure what stovies are, sorry.

will have a look at the website, thanks

lesley j

Visit site
Hi. You can always try Verdo horse bedding. It's new out in the market and it's rather cheap the only downside is you need to buy them buy the pallet at the moment as they dont have many stockists about just yet.

I had planned on buying bulk anyway so will have a look on the internet, thank you

Montyforever

Visit site
I found the solutions you spray on straw don't work and are expensive in the longrun, try bed- down excel its a mix of straw and shavings :)

Stacy_W

Visit site
How much shavings have you put down? If you put in a good deep bed to start it will stay cleaner, so I've found. I hate wood pellets - looks cold and awful! Though I'm sure the horses couldn't care less, I like their beds to look cosy!

lesley j

Visit site
How much shavings have you put down? If you put in a good deep bed to start it will stay cleaner, so I've found. I hate wood pellets - looks cold and awful! Though I'm sure the horses couldn't care less, I like their beds to look cosy!

I look at the other horses stables with straw bedding and they look so much better, just wish ours looked so cosy. We did put a fair bit down to start with but have to pretty much take most of it out every day - he's a really messy boy!

nikCscott

Visit site
I liken wood pellets to our own mattresses.

Its the quilt that looks thick and cosy (like straw), but would you rather sleep on the quilt or the mattress.

I know I would rathe sleep on the pellets than the straw bed especially after the straw is soaked with pee.

My WB is a pig in the stable on both Shavings and Straw- wood pellets (I do a thick bed and put in dry so its alway dry to touch) and it is so much cleaner he actually lies down now!

lesley j

Visit site
I liken wood pellets to our own mattresses.

Its the quilt that looks thick and cosy (like straw), but would you rather sleep on the quilt or the mattress.

I know I would rathe sleep on the pellets than the straw bed especially after the straw is soaked with pee.

My WB is a pig in the stable on both Shavings and Straw- wood pellets (I do a thick bed and put in dry so its alway dry to touch) and it is so much cleaner he actually lies down now!

I was swaying towards the wood pellets and after the comments I think that is what we will go for, thanks

Ladydragon

Visit site
Another one who uses Liverpool wood pellets... And I have got the most disgustingly dirty gelding imaginable... He can trash any bedding and need a total clean out the next day...

Wood pellets are the only thing to soak up the amount he wees, and separate from the tiny pieces of poo where he's broken down, kicked around and totally squashed any mess he's made - so you can muck out rather than remove completely...:D

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
You can sprinkle straw with a mix of water and disinfectant to help prevent the horse eating the straw.

Re wood pellets: do you need to keep watering a wood pellet bed? I use wood pellets on rubber matting so don't make a whole bed; it gets very dusty, so should I be sprinkling water on it to keep it moist? (Sorry for hijacking your thread!)

kezz86

Visit site
meh,
use www.whitehorsebedding.co.uk for usage instructions and video (very good instructions), then buy them from www.whitehorseenergy.co.uk (cheapest around and my delivery guy very good!)
Plus if you use my discount coupon(broall12) you'll save 10% and earn me a £10 referral fee (So only slightly biased!)

Do you know how much it works out a bag? How long does a bag last you?

No one on my yard uses wood pellets so I'd like an idea of how it all works with cost etc...

I would be buying by the pallet but I'd like to vaguely compare costs to a bag of shavings...

clopclip

Visit site
Do you know how much it works out a bag? How long does a bag last you?

£2.25/bag; clean pony is a bag a week - delightful mare lots more, probably bag every second day, but she is FOUL.

Have to put a fair few in to start, but makes shavings at £7 look silly!

lesley j

Visit site
meh,
use www.whitehorsebedding.co.uk for usage instructions and video (very good instructions), then buy them from www.whitehorseenergy.co.uk (cheapest around and my delivery guy very good!)
Plus if you use my discount coupon(broall12) you'll save 10% and earn me a £10 referral fee (So only slightly biased!)

still waiting to hear back from the livery owners to see if i can have a palet delivered there, but will defo use your code as have already checked out the website - cheers

mandwhy

Visit site
£2.25/bag; clean pony is a bag a week - delightful mare lots more, probably bag every second day, but she is FOUL.

Have to put a fair few in to start, but makes shavings at £7 look silly!

Ooh that is good! I have been worrying about how much bedding is going to cost me having a stable when would prefer just grass, if it works out that cheap I suppose it takes a lot of hassle out of poo picking. Prospective livery owner is ordering some in for when I get there.

How many bags do you guys think it will take to get a stable with rubber matting ready for new horse? I don't know what size stable is but I would say at least 12x12 :)

clopclip

Visit site
How many bags do you guys think it will take to get a stable with rubber matting ready for new horse? I don't know what size stable is but I would say at least 12x12 :)

I go for about 8-9. Missus uses MASSES though. Like 15 or so, she winges that 15 isn't enough, i reckon 9 is overkill!