Would a calcium supplement cause problems?

Vindaloo

Visit site
Hi, I've just had a rather explosive ride this evening. Spooking at EVERYTHING and generally being a total knob.

This is the second time he's been like this and it is hugely out of character for him.

When I last came back to the UK for a short trip, Casper loast condition and was lacking in energy when I returned. Vet came out and rasped his teeth (he'd not been eating up, now gobbles it down no problem) and looked him over and he was given the ok. He did however suggest a supplement.

He was duly given one and I have seen such an improvement BUT he's getting progressively idiotic. I don't back off of him when he throws his toys out and ride him through it fine but I cheked to see what this supplement was and although it was all in Hindi managed to find out that it is pretty much a calcium supplement he's been given.

I love his energy but the sillyness is just not like him and I wondered if any of you could shed some light on it for me.

His feed is ad lib hay, lucerne fresh and two feeds of straights. Don't ask me what the heck the straights are mind you, nothing seems to bear the slightest resemblance to what we get at home. In any case, nothing in the feed has been changed other than this supplement and previously he was a treasure on his rations.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

ThePony

Visit site
would only cause probs if he isn't deficient in it - most UK grazing, alfafa and sugar beet (amongst other things) are high in calcium, so it would be unlikely that he is calcium deficeint. No idea in Indian grazing though obv! Maybe try magnesium instead as horses deficient in it (alot of horses are so it isn't a long shot) can be spooky and tense. Magox is the best in terms of a balance between affordability and bioavailability. Available from ebay, naturalhorsesupplies amongst other places.

Nocturnal

Visit site
I believe excess calcuim can block the absoption of magnesium - which could indeed make a horse spooky/silly. I'd try taking him off the supp and see if it improves.

Vindaloo

Visit site
Ah, thanks for that Thepony. I seriously doubt that he was deficient.

I'm back home in Sept so will have a look at the Magox and grab some.

We are a desert state here so no grazing but 24hr access to hay and I am sure it's Alfalfa. It is odd how he has changed so dramatically. His trot and canter were to die for tonight but then his airs above the ground were equally spectactular. I am sure he jumped an imaginary fence down the long side, just leaped through the air and then wanted to bog off at a million miles an hour.

I don't mind a lively ride at all and he's not nasty but he was silly to the point of hurting himself. I told the lads to immediately stop the supplement so it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

What I wouldn't give for a decent feed store out here...

Vindaloo

Visit site
Thanks Poojay and Nocturnal. Am stopping the supplement now and will see what happens.

I had a sneaking suspicion that calcium to excess would cause a magnesium imbalance but am no nutritionist and wanted to be sure.

Nocturnal

Visit site
If your forage is exclusively alfalfa then I'd agree with ThePony that you may need to supplement magnesium, as alfalfa is high in calcium.

ThePony

Visit site
yikes, if your hay is alfafa then he will be getting alot of calcium! I would def supp some magnesium. If you can't get magox over there then how about trying calmag? It is grittier and isn't as easily absorbed, but is used by livestock farmers so you might have a better chance of getting hold of some? Excess calcium will also knock out phosphorus, bran is a good source of it so it might be an idea to add a scoop of it to his feed if you can get your hands on some? (ours are fed on grass nuts and bran with added magox as our grazing is high in calcium).

Vindaloo

Visit site
Ok, so first thing I can definitely try to get hold of is bran. I know you can get it for humans out here so for sure it must be available for animals.

I can get supplements brought out whenever we get visitors and can get some myself when i'm home so will do that.

Poor lad, no wonder he's been a bit off his head. Hopefully, now that i've stopped them adding it to his feed he'll turn back into the Casper I know and love.

Perhaps a broad spectrum balancer would be wise, top spec or something. Powder form rather than pellets since I can't see a big sack fitting in my suitcase.