Would anyone be interested? Looking for a share horse

Umbongo

Visit site
Hello!

I am just wondering whether or not some of you owners/sharers do so on an as and when basis?

Basically I have been riding for about 17 years. Worked in riding schools, racing yards etc. Have shared/loaned in the past etc.
My last share ended September last year as the owner went to university and sold the horse. I have since had a bit of a break as I have started a new job and am getting married soon.

Now I am starting to really miss it again, and after my wedding I will have a lot of free time on my hands.

HOWEVER......
My job involves shift work and sometimes quite long hours. I can't commit to set days each week, and sometimes not even every week. Some weeks I could ride every day, some weeks I can't at all.....it all depends on how my rota works out.

I also cannot afford much of a contribution/if at all. I do not earn very much in my job and live in North London, so can only just manage my rent and bills etc. However I feel that I do have experience and am happy to ride young/green/nappy horses....although as I get older I would prefer something a little more straight forward. I am happy to muck out, hay, feed etc. I visit and ride in all weathers, even if I am ill or tired...not just when the sun is shining!

I am not sure if some people would be happy with this sort of arrangement, as I know the reason for most shares is lack of time or money. I don't have any horsey friends in the area to see if I can ride their horses sometimes, and I can't afford riding lessons. Where I lived before I was inundated with offers of riding and never had this problem!

I don't know whether I should post a wanted ad, or would I just be wasting my time?!

teapot

Visit site
I think they are out there as the situation you need is exactly what I have at the moment. I do as much or as little as I can/want with zero contribution (bar the stuff I've bought for him). I try to do him regularly but it's never an issue if I can't. It suits the owner/ym/the horse/his role in life and me.

I know I'm lucky though and those arrangements are probably as rare as hen's teeth. I got mine through word of mouth/being asked by the yard manager herself, rather than any form of advertising.

Last edited:

HashRouge

Visit site
I think, as above, they probably are out there but I'd imagine they'd be few and far between. It's the fact that it is so changeable every week - I'd imagine it would make it very difficult for an owner as they would have (from the sound of it) little notice as to what your days would be each week. You might as well put an advert up, you never know what you'll find, but it's not an ideal situation for an owner. No offence, but you wouldn't bring a huge amount to the arrangement as it currently stands.

sychnant

Visit site
I wish you lived in Wales! I have 3 in work and would love someone to come out with me when they could, just for some company.

If you ever move give me a shout!!!

Good luck, hope you find someone :)

Umbongo

Visit site
Thanks. I get my rota 3 months in advance, so can usually plan quite far ahead. However, having been heavily involved in horses most of my life I understand that this sort of arrangement isn't usually desired.

To be fair the times I couldn't ride would actually not be too often. In the summer when there is more light it would be fine, and I would be able to commit in the winter if the yard had an outdoor arena with lighting or an indoor school. My shift start times can vary from 7am through to 11pm, depending on whether I am on an early shift, mid, late or night!

I am not able to visit both ends of the day because of this. However for my last share I would ride, turn out and do all the jobs so in the evening the owner just had to bring in, or visa versa if I did the end of they day, the owner would leave all the jobs for me in the evening.

Unfortunately I don't have any horsey contacts where I live now, so popping an advert up may be the only option. I might give it a go, unfortunately my job has quite changeable shift-work patterns and low pay so I think I am doomed to always be in this situation! I do not want to contemplate the idea of having to give up horses all together :(

Last edited:

rowan666

Visit site
If only you were in my area! I'm not even necessarily looking for payment, totally flexible on days and times and my mare is fab ide just like some help now and again since i never have time to ride any of my lot but had no interest atall! she was snapped up in 2 weeks last time. Anybody fancy reading my ad and tell me where I've gone wrong?? lol

OP there will be people out there looking for what you can offer, maybe place an ad in your local feed merchant and someone who hadn't advertised May get in touch

Jango

Visit site
I'm curious to know what job you have and what hours you work that means you couldn't pop to the farm for 2 hours twice a week? I had a sharer in the past who was a nurse in A and E and she used to do 2 days but different days every week which worked great for me as I didn't mind which days I got 'off' yard duties. If you could commit to 2 days a week but different ones every week that might be more helpful to someone?

Araboo27

Visit site
If only you were in my area! I'm not even necessarily looking for payment, totally flexible on days and times and my mare is fab ide just like some help now and again since i never have time to ride any of my lot but had no interest atall! she was snapped up in 2 weeks last time. Anybody fancy reading my ad and tell me where I've gone wrong?? lol

OP there will be people out there looking for what you can offer, maybe place an ad in your local feed merchant and someone who hadn't advertised May get in touch

I know you're fairly local to myself...I may be selling pony and I assume my part loaner would be on the lookout for another one. She's super reliable, very sweet, extremely shy but hasn't been a problem, is just out of riding school so isn't massively experienced but handles my sharp mare, light seat, soft hands etc. She rides my 13.2 but is a little too big, she's tall but lightweight. What have you got? If I do sell I'm happy to pass on info to see if it's something she fancies?

rowan666

Visit site
I know you're fairly local to myself...I may be selling pony and I assume my part loaner would be on the lookout for another one. She's super reliable, very sweet, extremely shy but hasn't been a problem, is just out of riding school so isn't massively experienced but handles my sharp mare, light seat, soft hands etc. She rides my 13.2 but is a little too big, she's tall but lightweight. What have you got? If I do sell I'm happy to pass on info to see if it's something she fancies?

thanks araboo ive sent you a private message

Leo Walker

Visit site
Honestly, if you were reliable and could ride to the point where you werent detrimental to my horse I'd be more than happy. The fact you are a competent rider is a huge plus! Mines a pretty easy ride and I'd be ok if you just wanted to pootle about hacking, if you could ride and school him then I'd consider it a massive plus. I'd absolutely love someone who would come as and when they could, who would do more with him than I can and I'd be more than happy for him to go out competing/hunting etc while I did the day to day stuff.

I'm not interested in a financial contribution. Its my horse and I pay his bills, although if you bought him the odd matchy matchy set or other frivolous nonsense I'd be thrilled! And the same with his care. I either look after him or pay for someone else to. I'd expect you to do jobs when you were there riding, but that would be it.

Back when I was a fit competent rider I had loads of offers of horses to ride. I think this whole sharing/part loaning nonsense has taken over a bit. It always seems wrong to me to charge someone who is doing me a favour. I'm sure I cant be the only person who feels like this!

Micropony

Visit site
Might be worth trying your local FB horse groups. Most yards on the fringes of London have at least lights if not an indoor school. I don't think you would have too much of a problem finding a horse somewhere with the facilities that mean you could commit to being able to ride regularly enough for it to work for an owner.

I always see a lot more ads for people who want sharers than people who want rides!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
A previous YO had a couple of people on a similar arrangement, they weren't sharers just people she knew who when they could would come to help out with the chores and ride. It meant she could ride a paying clients horse and they would ride one of hers. Being a decent rider I'm sure you can find someone, but I would think it would probably not be your typical single-horse owner advertising for a sharer, i.e. you probably need someone who doesn't actually NEED a sharer / part-loaner to manage but would just like some help and company, maybe with more than one horse so they want hacking company / help exercising.

Visit site
I have no idea what the standard arrangements and expectations are in your area as I'm in Cornwall but I would love someone like you just to ride my horse as I have my hands full with a 6 month old baby so my 4 legged boy doesn't go out as much as he likes. Before buying my own I spent years riding other's horses on the same as and when basis as you and only contributed to shoes. So there are owners out there looking for your help and I think it's definitely worth advertising. If you don't ask you don't get! Good luck.

Ahrena

Visit site
I have a sharer with similar shifts to yours and it works for me.

I don't need someone to care for the horse, I have a sharer for him because he's taking life a bit easier now and it gives me more time with my younger competition horse. So it's no skin off my nose if she can only ride once one week then 5 days the next - I can keep him ticking over and a few days off won't hurt him if I'm busy. But I'm there anyway so doing his stable and care isn't a problem, I was just struggling to give them both enough attention and I'm not that motivated to ride him for the sake of it.

She does contribute though but if I were better off financially, I wouldn't be bothered about that as riding him still does me a favour

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had a sharer on silly shifts, and it worked fine as I was on the same silly shifts, and they were the opposite ones to her!

TBH, as you won't need to hog the weekends when most people are off, and are competent, I would have thought someone would snap you up.