Would be grateful for some bitting please

Finns Mum

Visit site
I wonder if anyone can offer some advice
smile.gif

I have always ridden my boy in a snaffle, I have changed his bit around quite a lot as he has a small mouth, low pallet and large tongue, and I do have trouble with him being a bit mouthy, mainly fixing on the right rein.

I recently spoke to Neue Schule and have been riding him in a NS Team Up bit, and he has been going okay in it.

It has come around the same time as we have introduced some xc into his life, which he has really taken to but has been getting very strong to jump, this now seems to have spilled over into everyday life, I did a dressage test on Saturday and "strong" appeared quite a few times on the sheet, but more worryingly on Sunday during a gentle canter out hacking he took off and I could not stop him. He didn't change his head carriage just steamed off which was not pleasant!

I have never ridden any of my horses in anything more than a snaffle, so am a bit lost as where to go next. I am happy to continue schooling in the team up, but think I need to do something about the over confidence that is developing out and about.

NS has recommended the Universal, does anyone have any experience with that, or any other advise would be appreciated.

Bossanova

Visit site
The universal is a good step up and the nice thing is that you can use the top ring as pretty much a snaffle and the bottom for just a littl bit more stopping power. We use it sucessfully on a few different horses

Persephone

Visit site
I have just bought the Universal for my mare. She was getting a little distracted going into fences with her kimblewick. I must admit I have used it twice and is really suiting her. A much more rounded, bouncy canter but with plenty of brakes and steering. I would definately recommend trying one as my horse has the small mouth, low palate, big tongue problem too.

hellybelly6

Visit site
I love the Universal. My horse has had one for a year now and he leans, putting his chin on his girth and broncing. Its also very good for those who need a bit of extra control, who lean, have a low palette and fleshy lips and tongues.

I like it because you can use it with the rein on the snaffle ring, bottom ring, with double reins with a rounding and with/without the curb strap.

It is like a gag, but because the rings are offset, it has a kinder action.

I use 2 reins on my horse.

If you are not keen on this, a wilkie snaffle/looped snaffle is a good compromise.

Finns Mum

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback
smile.gif

I have taken the plunge and ordered it. Beans on toast for me for the next four weeks lol.