Would I fit in a 16.5" saddle?

surreygirl17

Visit site
As above. I'm 5'6 with short legs (height is in my back), approx 31" inside leg and size 8-10 (approx 9 stone or just under).
I've been offered a 16.5" GP saddle but not sure if I'll fit in it and if it will look silly on my 15.2h welsh D (he takes max 17.5" size). Any ideas?

fatponee

Visit site
I'm a bit shorter than you, 5' 2", but am a size 8-10 also, and a 16.5" saddle is my perfect fit so I would have thought you'll be fine.

As for looking silly on your horse, it depends on his build. I rode my 15.2hh TB in a 16.5" and it looked fine.

Hope this helps! :)

cob&onion

Visit site
Am in a 16, 5" at moment for backing welshie, we need a 17, amtall at 5ft9.5 and size 10 and I find it too small.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The current Appy really doesn't do well in anything bigger than a 16.5 inch saddle. I am 5'6" tall, with most of my height in my legs, also size 10, I would prefer a bigger saddle (according to the working out by measuring thingy, I should have at the very least 18", and bigger whould be better because of the length of my femurs) but we manage.

Mithras

Visit site
I would think you would, because you're about the same size as me. Everyone tries to get you into a 17" or bigger saddle and says it doesn't matter, but theres nothing worse than swimming about in a saddle. And I'm sue horses like shorter saddles too!

lucindakay

Visit site
i'm 5ft8 and a slim build and one of the ex-racehorses at work that i ride has a 16"5 saddle and it really does affect your riding, the trainer today said it could cause back problems for the horse because it can cause a rocking motion on the panels.. if that makes sense? so now because i am the sole rider of all the horses there we have to get all the horses in 16"5 saddles into bigger ones, i wouldl be lying if i didnt feel guilty but they shouldnt have 16hh+ in such small saddles anyways!

L&M

Visit site
I am a similiar height/weight but found the 16.5'' I tried too small for anything heavy duty such as hunting, and find a 17'' a lot more comfortable, although fine for short bouts of school work.

What does your saddler think?

albeg

Visit site
I'd recommend riding in it before you decide. I'm 5'4" (ish), similar inside leg height (maybe slightly shorter), similar weight, and my saddle is a 17" as it was the most comfortable and recommended by the saddler, and I'm definitely not swimming in it. (was looking for a photo side on of me in the saddle, but can't find any suitable)

mollichop

Visit site
Try it first. My new tb is short coupled and couldn't take bigger than a 16.5" which his previous owner had made for him.

My saddle didn't fit him and thought there was no way I would be comfy in it as 5'8" and medium build but it's the lovliest saddle i've ever sat on so don't rule it out!