Would it annoy you if...

ImmyS

Visit site
... you’re on a DIY yard where all the horses have been out 24/7 for the last couple of weeks, then you come back from work late at night to find your horse has been left out and alone and no one has told you?

Just a pondering 🤔

Shay

Visit site
We have a yard rule you must never leave a horse alone. If you bring it the penultimate one you must bring in the straggler as well. Its one thing to leave them if you are only bringing in for a brief time to feed etc but absolutely if you bring in at night or for several hours you must bring in the lone one too.

It does cuase some annoyance for those owners who had not prepped a stable or didn't want the stable dirtied. But far better that that leaving alone.

atropa

Visit site
Yes. This used to happen to me a lot at one point due to me having a huge commute from work to yard. It pee'd me off so much that I actually bought a second horse.:rolleyes:

The Trooper

Visit site
Yes and no.

Belle would go ballistic if she's left in the field alone but she can be a little bit of a handful to lead along with another horse if you don't know her and her quirks. I lead her and Bonnie together no problem but others would struggle.

If she was left out over night, on her own I would be extremely annoyed. If only for a few hours whilst others are fed/ridden I wouldn't mind so much. I'm lucky that both my girls are in the same field and typically when one is in so is the other, there are other horses with them who live out so it doesn't really cause problems when Bonnie is in overnight and Belle isn't.

Communication is key though, all the liveries in Belle's herd communicate quite closely so we all know what is going on etc.

Horsekaren

Visit site
Yes that would annoy me, it would annoy my pony more. This happened once, needless to say he didn't stay where he was left, he demolished a full wooden gate to pieces and proceeded to bolt back to the yard and have an Asthma attack... people annoy me.. it would have only taken a message and id of been there within 2mins to get him.

Pippity

Visit site
It depends on the horse, tbh.

There are some horses on my yard who I wouldn't bring in because I wouldn't want to risk handling them.

There are others who I'd leave out because I knew they didn't care whether they had company or not. (Although I'd drop the owner a text to let them know their horse was out alone.)

If my horse didn't fall into either of those categories, yes, I'd be annoyed.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Not on my current yard, everyone knows mine is fine out alone. Shes only about 20ms from the stables so could see the other horses and wouldnt care. At previous yards yes, but I dont think it ever happened/

ImmyS

Visit site
I wouldn’t expect anyone to bring my horse in for me, but just a heads up would have been appreciated as he has never been left out before alone overnight. We have a yard messenger group so just would have been nice to have been told so I could have made arrangements.

9tails

Visit site
I've have a dead or severely injured horse if she was left out completely on her own. What was so different about last night that all owners decided to bring in overnight after being on 24/7?

ihatework

Visit site
I wouldn’t expect anyone to bring my horse in for me, but just a heads up would have been appreciated as he has never been left out before alone overnight. We have a yard messenger group so just would have been nice to have been told so I could have made arrangements.

Yes just common sense and courtesy really isn’t it! But then that’s the stressful aspect of some DIY yards!

Surbie

Visit site
My previous yard didn't allow any horse to be left out on its own. I would not be happy if mine was left out at night on his own, he wouldn't deal with it at all well. And if I hadn't been told he was being left out alone I would be pretty annoyed.

ihatework

Visit site
DIY means DIY unfortunately; and this is what happens when people pay for DIY but actually what they need is "assisted" livery......

Urm harsh.
OP isn’t a mind reader, if all horses were out 24/7 for 2 weeks how were they supposed to know everything was suddenly being bought in overnight unless they were told?
All it would have taken was a quick group message along the lines of ‘heads up, X, Y & Z coming in tonight. OP will be left alone from 5’

It’s mind boggling the lack of common sense some horse people have at times.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Communication is really all that is needed/is key.
This was my issue too as I even lived on site but away from the main yard and the fields were down the road. It literally would have taken 2 minutes to come and mention it (mobile signal admittedly very poor!)

It doesn't at all sound like the OP needs assisted livery?

Sukistokes2

Visit site
No it would not but than my horse would not care. My sisters horse would go ballistic and did so, running through 3 electric fences, a wooden fence, a five bar gate and her stable door, cutting herself to the bone. Nearly wrote herself off, ending the season for her and she is still slowly working her way back to full fitness. So I would always bring in the last horse, unless told not too.

9tails

Visit site
DIY means DIY unfortunately; and this is what happens when people pay for DIY but actually what they need is "assisted" livery......

What cobblers. If you'd taken the time to read the original thread you would have seen that the horses had been out 24/7 for 2 weeks beforehand.

ImmyS

Visit site
They were brought in as temperatures were to drop a bit overnight and some showers forecast. I live on site but work long hours, if I had known my partner would have been around to whip the horse in. As it turned out I’m very lucky to have a sensible horse and he seemed ok when I checked on him and not bothered, but it could have been a different story as he has never been left alone overnight since being on the yard for the last year.

Last edited:

Hallo2012

Visit site
depends on the horse i think-my two CAN be left, in or out, day or night, and whilst the kids pony isn't happy about it he wouldn't do anything drastic.....my little stallion couldn't care less. so if the other liveries were aware of that, i wouldn't expect a heads up for mine personally (although i think sharing all info is best policy and a yard whatsapp would be good)

however i'm aware most horses DO very much care so yes as the owner of one of those i would be fuming if i wasnt even given a heads up.

its very difficult because if i was on livery i wouldn't want to be sorting out other peoples horses in my precious time, so if you do have one that cannot be left i think you need to be on a yard with staff who can bring it in then charge on your bill if its going to be last man standing.

pure DIY and relying on the good will of others isnt fair imo as its inevitably the same person dealing with the same horse that isnt theirs all the time....i appreciate thsi wasnt the OP intention more just a general observation

Pc2003

Visit site
We are totally diy but all get on and know each other well. There is the odd one who couldn’t care less if it was on its own so I would maybe shoot the owner a quick heads up message but generally we wouldn’t leave a one on it’s own.