Would it be a good idea to advertise myself as someone who could exercise horses?

horseless jorge!

Visit site
So hey. I'm Jorge. I'm 19 and, as you can tell, horseless.

I'm currently studying for my National Diploma in Equine Management at college, and have unfortunately (just today) walked out of my call center job due to unnecessary stress and noooo time whatsoever.

I was loaning a TB mare, 9yo and a little hot, but she had to be sadly sold due to having arthritis cause by her heavy racing days when she ws just 2yo. I'm now not looking for another horse to loan and certainly not looking to buy (but people sure are throwing them at me haha!) but I am missing horses.
I ride at college (have just started back after two months off due to a smashed collarbone and tonsillitis), and am good with sharp horses, lazy horses, naughty horses etc.

Do you think there's any point in me advertising myself as someone who is able to horse-sit (I'm capable of getting to yards, mucking out, riding, bringing in and feeding etc) and exercise? I'd only ask a smaall fee, depending on how far away from me they were, but I'd mostly do it for the fun.

Think there would be any point?

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
Thanks for asking this as I want to do this over summer so will be interested in what people come back with. (north west area btw in case anyone knows of anyone :p )

katherine1975

Visit site
I'm sure there are people that would like their horses excercised. I have a friend who rides for me but I don't pay her, not sure that you would get paid. I know quite a few people who would ride my horses for free.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I used to have someone exercise my horse over the winter months for me - and it was a godsend.

They were fully insured, though - and this is something you need to take in to consideration.

She was a racing 'lass', so could ride anything - which made her services indispensible:)

horseless jorge!

Visit site
I'm fully insured for riding anything / anywhere, which is good because I seem to pick ones that are a little mad to ride. :p
I like them as a bit of a challenge haha, and though I'm not a racing lass, I'm very keen on the thoroughbred type!

hamish1

Visit site
I'm guessing you would probably have to start off doing this for free, if your good and reliable and word gets around you will start geting recomended then Im sure people would pay for your service but there are alot of people around who would be more than willing to ride someones horse for free.But if your good im sure you'll do it :)

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
There are many people who need help exercising their horses, but my problem is who do I trust?

In the past I've paid my instructors to come and ride several times a week if I have to go away for work or holiday. I would consider a freelance person, but only if they had good references, their own insurance, etc.

horseless jorge!

Visit site
I'd be happy to do it for free also, at least I'd be getting the riding in!
I'm fully insured and would be able to get references/ pictures/ videos/ whatever they wanted from people who I've ridden for in the past and also from my college things.

Syrah

Visit site
I think it's a great idea.

Alot of people work full time, shifts, have kids etc and there may be times when they can't ride as much as they would like.

I'm one of those.

FleabittenT

Visit site
Why not put a few adverts up locally, and see how you go?

Perhaps if you prepare a short portfolio with your experience and references in, then you can have this ready to send or take with you when you receive any enquiries.

Word of mouth is definately key, so let all your contacts know that you're available.

You'd also need to look at the tax implications and registering with HMRC, as you'll be self-employed.

Good luck! :)

galaxy

Visit site
No harm in advertising.

Just call your insurance and double check. What sort of policy is it? A standard "riders policy" will not cover you because you are being PAID. It changes everything.

Maddie2412

Visit site
put an ad on preloved got that off someone on here thought it wouldnt work but what the heck its free!?! got a heap of responses and ended up turning people down was really impressed def worth a try!!

Syrah

Visit site
Syrah ; Would you reccommend me advertising in supermarkets etc then?
Fleabitten ; Awesome idea about the portfolio, but not sure about the tax etc.? Would there be big legal implications?

I would maybe think about some sort of leaflet (just off your puter) and ask Tack shops, livery yards etc to put them up.

Free ads too :)

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
I've been doing this since xmas to get more riding in at uni and got so many replies after i advertised but i don't charge.
i advertised on gumtree and met lots of lovely people and my life is now considerably horsey which i am loving :D

hayinamanger

Visit site
If you were in my area, I'd snap you up:) so definitely have a go and see what comes up.

You may find that you are getting offers from people who maybe have a horse they can't ride but want to sell, and it's been out in the field for 2 years:( so be selective.

Good luck!

horseless jorge!

Visit site
Think I'm definitely coming off the idea of charging! I'm happy to do it for free, I'm happy to muck out also for free haha!
I'd love to live in Devon then haha, but yes I see where you're coming from. I don't mind helping out someone who has a fizzy horse, or if they're a less advanced rider I don't mind there either. But I won't ride something because the owner's given up. That's never a good sign haha.

FleabittenT

Visit site
Fleabitten ; Awesome idea about the portfolio, but not sure about the tax etc.? Would there be big legal implications?

Yes, if you were earning money as a freelance rider/groom, you would need to register as self-employed with HMRC, complete a tax return each year and pay tax on your earnings (if your earnings are over the tax-free thresholds, which they may or may not be).

There is some good information at Business Link and on HMRC's website.

If you earn cash in hand without declaring your earnings to HMRC, that is (of course!) your choice, but is tax evasion with fines if they find out :eek:

So you might find that after your travel costs, insurances and tax, it's not worth doing. Riding for free is certainly the easiest option!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

blueneonrainbow

Visit site
All registering for tax means is you'd have to fill out a self assessment tax return each year to declare how much you'd earnt... It's very easy you can do it yourself.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
There are definitely people out there who want this sort of help, and there are loads of horses near where you are aren't there? I think the best way is through word of mouth though, so I would make friends with ouyr local saddlers, if you're not already and ask to put up some ads. :)

LiveryList

www.*******.co.uk
Hello!

I have worked as a freelance groom and rider for the past eight or nine years. As said above you need to ensure you are covered for every eventuality. You may be covered to ride any horse anywhere (maybe on a BHS policy or your own rider insurance) but often this does not cover you if you are being paid for it- it would invalidate any insurance you had.

You also need to be wary of some horse owners. Although 80% of them are genuine and honest about their horses i have had several occasions where it apperas after the first session that the only reason the owner wanted someone else to deal with their horse is because it is a hideous to handle or hideous to ride... or both!!

I always make sure that i carry out a consult visit first and to not offer to ride anyones horse until i have seen it being ridden- just to be on the safe side. I learnt this the hard way while doing some causal work at a dea;ers yard and being given a 'bombproof' horse to ride who then reared in the school and crushed my leg... not good.

Other than that it is a fab idea and can make decent money but i do find in this economic climate i have less work as people are either getting rid of their horses or just cant afford the additional cost. If you want something to ride as well as earning some pennies from it do it at a reasonable rate to cover your costs but ensure you get enough to keep you on the horses :)

horseless jorge!

Visit site
Thankyou everyone! You've all been SO helpful! :D
I think my best idea is getting a bar job to cover costs of getting there etc.
And there are a lot of horses in Yorkshire, yes haha. :)

One of my old instructors is going freelance at the end of June, so have said I'm always free to tag along and do odd jobs and be bossed about by her, can't help to get some valuable experience that way!

KittyJay

Visit site
But I won't ride something because the owner's given up. That's never a good sign haha.

I made that mistake - dear god..
I've done quite a bit of this along with loaning. Just a little money to 'cover expense and time' really, but if I've ever been paid I've always made the effort to put some more chore-like work in as an extra! Usually I do unpaid as I'm used to paying for a share anyway! I'm a little bit more selective than you (fizzy/quirky fine, no brakes is not) but my USP is I can ride little ones that people's small children have got bored of.
Preloved, Tack rooms, village shop windows..

horseless jorge!

Visit site
I'm a little bit more selective than you (fizzy/quirky fine, no brakes is not) but my USP is I can ride little ones that people's small children have got bored of.
Preloved, Tack rooms, village shop windows..

Haha I wouldn't say entirely no brakes, maybe just brakes that need a little work! Haha. I'm good with that. :p
And I guess I could ride small ones, I'm 5'4" and about 9st, used to ride and jump a hot little 13.3hh haha.