Would it be fair to have a dog under these circumstances?

sz90168

Visit site
I am currently in the process of buying a house in a semi-rural area with well fenced garden. I have always wanted a dog and now think maybe the time is right.
However me and my other half work full time. I usually leave the house at 8am and get back around 5.20pm. The dog would come to the yard with me in the evenings and I generally have quite an outdoor lifestyle. Hopefully soon I will be working from home one afternoon a week and the same with my other half.

I am looking into dog walkers and would you think it be ok if the dog goes to doggy day care a 2 days a week and gets walked at lunch time on the remaining days? We are home weekends and the dog would always come with us if we go out.

Also Breed suggestions, I really like the look of Cockerpoo as they seem fun and don’t moult much. I would love a dog I could do some agility with. My partner struggled with Asthma when he was young and skin conditions. My family when growing up has always had dogs so I would say I am experienced.

Opinions would be much appreciated.

Moobli

Visit site
In your circumstances, I think it would be fair to have a dog but would probably look at an older, house trained dog that is used to being left for a few hours rather than a puppy. Pups need feeding four times a day, as well as consistent house training and more company than you could provide when working full time (especially as it would be an only dog).

Employing a dog walker to walk your dog mid way through the day would help break up the monotony of the day and give the dog a chance to go to the toilet and burn off some energy.

Have you considered going to your local rescue centre to see if they have any dog that appeals and might suit your circumstances? Not all rescues are against full time workers as long as you have provision in place.

Another thing to bear in mind is that not all dogs will be suited to a dog daycare type situation, so just something to consider when looking for a dog to suit you.

Good luck.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I wouldn't think it fair to raise a puppy in those circumstances but an adult dog could easily be fine with a good walk halfway through the day.

No guarantee of coat type or moulting potential with a cockerpoo, unlike the pure poodle, which also make cracking agility dogs. :)

Amye

Visit site
Agree with other people. A puppy no, as they need more attention and training. But an adult dog that's used to being left, yes that's fine. Our dogs are left in the morning, then someone goes back at lunchtime to let them out in the garden, then left again until after work. In the summer they get a good walk after work, in the winter they get walked at lunchtime.

If you're going to go for a more intelligent breed i would make sure it's used to being left so it doesn't get destructive and it has plenty to occupy itself. If you go for a less energetic/intelligent they don't need quite so much stimulation. We have whippets, they will tear around when they go for their walk but when they're left they literally just sleep!

Poodles are good for no moulting and standard poodles are very loyal and intelligent, good for agility!

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Several dogs are non moulting, the cockerpoo as a mongrel is a totally unknown quantity. The poodle, the bedlington, the Schnauzer, dandy dinmont, glen of imaal, sealyham. All round about the same size as the cockerpoo. And certainly the bedlington and the poodle would also do agility. And my bedlington is a really fun dog. Hes great around the horses, very obedient, yes he needs trimming, but his fur is easier to trim than a cocker poo as less prone to the serious matting that cockerpoos get.

FDLady

Visit site
I'd agree that your all in the clear to have a dog under these circumstances.

As for cockerpoo's... as an owner of labradoodles and working with cockerpoo's (all of which are yard dogs) in the past i just want to warn you that the non moulting idea is false unless you get a dog that is generations into the breeding. First, second, third crosses all moult in their own ways - like horses there is no standard. Dont get me wrong, i love them but they are ultimately a mongrel and you dont know what your getting until its growing up infront of you. They also have very thick coats (again it might happen/might not), that matt very easy - so you might spend half your life brushing yard mud out (again - experienced in this aspect unfortunately). Lovely loyal dogs but you have to be careful of the breeders and people making a quick buck out of them. Good luck!

Umbongo

Visit site
I would agree that it sounds like a good set up for an adult dog who is used to being alone for short periods of time, rather than a puppy.

The doggy day care is a good idea if the dog enjoys that sort of environment, not all do.
Also agree that the idea that all poodle crosses don't malt much is false, so don't get one just based on that.
Definitely look at some rescues.

Happy dog hunting :)

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
I'd agree that your all in the clear to have a dog under these circumstances.

As for cockerpoo's... as an owner of labradoodles and working with cockerpoo's (all of which are yard dogs) in the past i just want to warn you that the non moulting idea is false unless you get a dog that is generations into the breeding. First, second, third crosses all moult in their own ways - like horses there is no standard. Dont get me wrong, i love them but they are ultimately a mongrel and you dont know what your getting until its growing up infront of you. They also have very thick coats (again it might happen/might not), that matt very easy - so you might spend half your life brushing yard mud out (again - experienced in this aspect unfortunately). Lovely loyal dogs but you have to be careful of the breeders and people making a quick buck out of them. Good luck!

Congratulations on being the first poodle x owner who speaks sense!

Karran

Visit site
I work fulltime and close in hours to you. I leave at 8. Get home perhaps 4.50/5pm. But on unavoidable occasions (and rare) sometimes its 5.30/6pm.

My brother does shifts and will let her out for a wee around lunchtime but other than that she sleeps in her basket, occasionally plays with her toys and amuses herself.

She was 11 months old when i got her and same as people above. Wouldnt have got a pup in those conditions but this was perfect for us!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Also Breed suggestions, I really like the look of Cockerpoo as they seem fun and don’t moult much.

My pups number 1 playmate is a cockerpoo. She's adorable but by crikey, she's high energy. while its too early to say how much she moults, her coat is very high maintenance and any thought the owner had of keeping her coat 'slightly long and scruffy and cute' went out the window with the first weeks worth of rain and mud. she's like a hyper manic mop head-and extremely cute.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
definately not a puppy, best to go to a rescue and see what would suit your lifestyle. as long as the dog has a walk before you go to work and a walk at lunchtime then a walk in the evening it should be fine unless it is a high energy dog...at least if you go for a rescue you will have an idea of how much it will moult....

galaxy

Visit site
Agree you plan would work with an older dog

I would also recommend a poodle over a cockerpoo for coat reasons but also agility. There are several cockerpoos in my agility club and they are so stubborn!!! Lovely little dogs, not related and diff owners so my theory is it's a traight of the cross. Poodles seem more trainable and they are faster too :)

paddi22

Visit site
i'd be tempted to get two, so at least it has company and a playmate during the day. We made the jump from one to two dogs and we actually find it much easier. They are great company for eachother and it's no more hassle than having one.

Moobli

Visit site
i'd be tempted to get two, so at least it has company and a playmate during the day. We made the jump from one to two dogs and we actually find it much easier. They are great company for eachother and it's no more hassle than having one.

An already bonded pair would be ideal.

Leo Walker

Visit site
An older whippet/lurcher/greyhound would be fine. My OH works nights so mine are never alone but we are constantly moaning about how they never get out of bed!

If you fancy one of those I know a lovely and very sensible rescue who would definitely consider you :)

Jingleballs

Visit site
Absolultey - this is similar to the set up we have. We're out from about 7:40 to 5-5:30pm 3 days a week so dog walker comes just after 11 and bringer her back just before 1.

The other 2 days I work from home so walk her at lunch time - I don't see much of her on those days - she spends most of the time on our bed under the duvet and I suspect she does the same on the days when we're at work.

She is a youngish dog (4) but had to adjust to this routine about a year ago as previously my parents would watch her when I was at work then I was off for 10 months on maternity leave. She had no problem adapting.

jemstar

Visit site
Most rescue centres advise that dogs are to be left for no longer than 4 hours. If you have a dog walker for when you're at work you'll be fine :)

There are lots of breed specific rescue centres too once you've decided on what you want. Mongrels are awesome too!

leflynn

Visit site
Another vote for a greyhound! I work full time, live on my own and mine is happy as larry, he either comes with or stays at home and the walker come sin, he loves doing anything or nothing and is the easiest dog known to man and not an exception, plus greyhound rescues are generally more relaxed about adoptees :)

PaddyMonty

Visit site
and another vote for greyhound or whippet but would have 2. Ours can be left no problem (3 whippets), they just sleep but do prefer human bed to dog bed.