Would it be unethical ...... Q on Farriers .. ( Sorry Long ).....

Eaglestone

Visit site
Right then ... I have used the same Farrier for 17 years and TBO I dread him coming to shoe my horses ......... mainly due to him having two Apprentices
mad.gif
..... I like a quiet life and so does my old boy
crazy.gif

He has had his original Apprentice with him now for 4 years plus and he has been shoeing my horses, under supervision of my Farrier, for a long time now ... and I have been more than pleased .... he basically took over once Motor's feet had settled after the horrendous Cushings Induced Laminitis in October 2005
frown.gif

My Farrier has taken on another Apprentice (he has had quite a few
shocked.gif
) and I find that 3 Farriers decending on mye every 5-6 weeks is more than I can take and stresses Motor out so much
mad.gif

Well today the Apprentice turns up on his own
smile.gif
smile.gif
(I did not know the main Farrier was not going to be there
confused.gif
) and it was sooooooooooooooooo nice to have my nice quiet yard back, together with this very calm, unassuming Apprentice ...

Well to the dilemma ..... he told me that as from January 2009, he will be going it alone, basically, as he will be fully qualified ... and is currently building up his own Client base ......

Now I have said (to myself) for a couple of years that if he ever 'went it alone' that I would happily move to him being my Farrier .....

Is this ethical
blush.gif
.. can I or should I approach him or my current Farrier .....
confused.gif

BTW he made no approach to 'poach' me as a prospective new client, but I know that he will continue to practice locally ..... as I am a nosey old c*w
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

Well done if you got this far
tongue.gif

Britestar

Visit site
If where you live is anywhere like where I am, farriers would love for clients to go to someone else! There are so few that they are all over run.
If you and pony are happy, its your decision and your money. Go with the new guy you both like.

Flame_

Visit site
Bu**er ethical, do the best thing for you and your horse. As long as you think it through carefully and you are sure you'd prefer the apprentice, as you obviously can't chop and change, make the decision, tell them, job done.
smile.gif

Henbug

Visit site
go with the apprentice ben in the same situation as you and actually find the apprentice (not apprentice now farrier) does a better job, is cheaper, actually turns up on time and much nicer than previous farrier.

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
go with the apprentice ben in the same situation as you and actually find the apprentice (not apprentice now farrier) does a better job, is cheaper, actually turns up on time and much nicer than previous farrier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks everyone ...

I must admit my Farrier is ALWAYS on time so I cannot fault him on that ..... just want a quiet life and not dread the Farrier turning up ..... but I am also not one to make quick decisions, hence the question coming up now, with a few months to think about it
frown.gif

alisonpook

Visit site
I think Motor's comfort and happiness are above ethics .... if the apprentice has been shoeing him for the last few years and has kept him sound he is worth his weight in gold - I would think a nice thankyou letter to your old farrier explaining that Motor's special needs now take precedence would be polite ... that is what I did a couple of years ago.

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think Motor's comfort and happiness are above ethics .... if the apprentice has been shoeing him for the last few years and has kept him sound he is worth his weight in gold - I would think a nice thankyou letter to your old farrier explaining that Motor's special needs now take precedence would be polite ... that is what I did a couple of years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
Thank you .... EllieP that is much appreciated, as we have so much in common with our old boys
smile.gif

L

lilym

approach him and quick!! don't feel bad your horse will appreciate you for it!!
smile.gif

kick_On

Visit site
i always thought if farrier takes on apprentices, that it's expected that, if 'new' farrier stays in same area that old farrier will give 'new' farrier some of his clients.......................
So if your happy with new chap i can't see problem, but i would part on good terms with old farrier tho, only fair as you had him for 17yrs

Baileyhoss

Visit site
Sounds like they may already have had this discussion as the old farrier has been letting the apprentice shoe your horse and he is now coming on his own to do him. in effect the old farrier may have agreed that you would be a good client for the apprentice to have on his list if you are both happy with that, then all is good, just have a chat to make sure.

destiny11

Visit site
I did exactly the same, apprentice always shod my horse, did a fantastic job so when he went alone I went with him, got to do the best for your horse
smile.gif

Faithkat

Visit site
It's a buyer's market, have whoever you want. I changed farriers last year from one I had used for 14 years and had also become a personal friend, but he had quite simply got too expensive. My current farrier was recommended by several people, none of whom knew each other, and he is a joy - always on time/early which the previous one never was!

CrazyMare

Visit site
I did exactly thsi this year. Old farrier is still on good terms as his experiance is second to none, however it was starting to cost me an absolute fortune!!!!!

New farrier has been very good.

K27

Visit site
if the new Farrier does a good job of your horses feet and is reliable and you and your horse like him and he has a nice quiet manner about him, it sounds like a good idea- a few years or so ago I used to use a Farrier that had apprentices and whilst they were very good , I think its nice to have the same person shoeing for continuity- I have done exactly the same as you are contemplating in the past!. It also worked out cheaper too.

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
if the new Farrier does a good job of your horses feet and is reliable and you and your horse like him and he has a nice quiet manner about him, it sounds like a good idea- a few years or so ago I used to use a Farrier that had apprentices and whilst they were very good , I think its nice to have the same person shoeing for continuity- I have done exactly the same as you are contemplating in the past!. It also worked out cheaper too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you .... It had not really occured to me that I may save some money .... but that sounds ideal
blush.gif