Would it classed as cruelty for this horse to carry this rider?

gentle_giant

Visit site
ok ive sent pics to everyone else who requested.

Ive already decided what to do about it now though,so thanks everyone for your comments.

I have enough opinions now to know im doing the right thing.

beh

Visit site
Guessing from the replys it is pretty horrendous, so good luck with whatever you do
smile.gif

And could I see the pics please

xxxxxx

Sooty

Visit site
[quote
5ft 4 and size 20-22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think you are probably right with your around the 17st mark. Certainly she would be unlikely to be less than 16st, and you say she rides heavily. Tricky one if she likes the horse, but she has to be realistic. Please may I see a picture?

Onyxia

Visit site
From what you have said yes she sounds too heavy for that horse.
But there are other horses out there who would hardly notice they had that weight on their back, its the combination of getting on a bit(not old,bit starting to need looking after a bit to keep going)bad conformation and hard work that bother me in this case.

I dont know if it could be taken seriously by anyone you could report her to unless/untill it causes the horse health probs.
Would be interisting to see the pics if you dont mind please.

checkmate1

Visit site
Me too please. I have always tried to keep my weight down/stay fit etc to respect my horse, so this is a topic which really interests me, thanks.x

Ginn

Visit site
I feel without seeing pics of both the horse and rider and seeing how well the rider rides it is unfair to comment, however, based on what you have said I would say putting a very heavy rider on an underweight, unfit horse. That said, if the horse is in that poor a condition surely it would warrent being a cruelty case without anyone riding it?

IMO age and conformation are of little importance - if the horse was fit and in good condition then most people wouldn't see this as such an issue unless the horse was being asked things that it was quite clealy struggling with.

gentle_giant

Visit site
I dont think the horse is a cruelty case in a care aspect, she is looked after, she is just not in any condition to carry that sort of weight.

I thought it might just have been me being over cautious but obviously not so thanks again everyone.

Ive stopped sending pics as Im not trying to do a horror show and make this into something it isnt, I just wanted some opinions, had lots so Thank you all again!
smile.gif

ticobay831

Visit site
Hi, maybe you should just ring up the ILPH and have a chat with them about your concerns, if you feel the horse is being cared for properly. They may well just go and have a chat with the person in question and tell them that the mare isnt physically fit enouhg to carry that sort of weight and advise on the situation.
I havent seen the pictures myself so i cant comment on her condition but from what the others have been saying it sounds like she not too good. I know you must be pretty fed up of sending them to everyone so i wont ask, although im curious to see them.
I think as a responsible person you have to do something, you are obviously worried about her or you wouldnt have posted.
Give them ring and have a chat,
good luck,
Keep us posted
Debs x