Would like to try my TB barefoot - a few queries

jj4y

Visit site
I'd like to try my TB without shoes but just have a few queries and was hoping someone could offer me some advice. He's an ex-racer, been retired for a few years now. I've had him coming up to 2 years but he's only been in proper work some July last year due to my pregnancy. Initially he just had front shoes put on but once his workload increased he had hinds put on as well as he was getting sore. He's now ridden on average 5 times a week (1-2 sessions schooling, the rest hacking - some off road but mainly on roads).

My first query is that he's never really seemed to grow much hoof. Is this something that will pick up during the transition period?

Secondly, I really don't want to decrease his workload and risk loosing the topline we've worked so hard to get, so I'm presuming he'll need some hoof boots. Which would be the best ones to get for a TB?

Thirdly, his diet. He's currently on Chestnut Horse Feeds Alpha Easy, a mug of micronised linseed and haylage. Will I need to make any major changes?

Any advice would be greatfully received!

CBFan

Visit site
Ok.... given that his horn growth is slow and he has shown signs of footiness before I'd suggest that his diet needs a little tweeking.

Many people have found barefooters to struggle when fed Alfalfa so I would start by removing anything containing this from his diet. Maybe put him on speedi-beet or fast fibre instead or try D&H ERS Pellets if he needs a bit more help with condition. Then you need to give him some mineral support (many diets are lacking in some of the key minerals and are bulked out with c**p) try either pro hoof or pro balance from progressive earth on ebay, or one of the forage plus balancers.

As for hoof boots - speak to the saddlery shop http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/
They are brilliant for advice in this area. Different boots are more suited to different shaped and sized feet so what you gio for is pretty dependent on this :)

Always-Riding

Visit site
I recently took the front shoes of my TB mare and couldn't be happier. She is so much more sure-footed and I don't have the worry of her losing shoes, sometimes twice a week.

I started her "barefoot" diet about a month before the shoes were pulled. I had to remove all alfalfa based feeds as this made her footy. I've kept to a high fibre, low sugar/starch and even though I was skeptic as she's a poor doer, she's actually put on weight and comes across a lot more comfortable.

Speedibeet (or similar)
Soaked grass nuts
Micronized linseed
A balancer such as the ones CBFan recommends or get your forage tested so you can balance according to that.

If you do need more calories, I'd add oil such as Soya oil.

My other advice would be to leave the shoes on as long as you can before they're pulled so you have maximum hoof growth and don't let your farrier take any hoof off straight after they're removed. Just a roll around the "edge" but nothing more.

Hoof boot wise, it entirely depends on your horse's hoof shape but I've been really pleased with Easyboot Epic's. Personally I prefer the design of Easyboots as they're less likely to rub etc..

Brilliant grip on the road and on muddy/stony tracks. Beats the shod horses every time!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
My Bf ex racer has

Speedibeet as a base
Then depending on work and condition
Coolstance Copra
Oats
To that I add
Linseed
Brewers Yeast (or Yeasacc) (that makes a big difference to his footiness in the summer.
Minerals (I balance to grass but as CBfan said forageplus and progressive earth do good premixed ones)

I have also fed Alfalfa pellets with no problems , (less additives than the chaffs) but some don't tolerate Alfalfa.

Not tried the ERS pellets but they have Fructose added and I tend to stay sugar free for behavioural reasons ;)

I am also careful with hay/haylage and try to feed meadow or timothy rather than ryegrass.

Re workload, if you have a school you can combine work in there for his topline with gentle roadwork to stimulate his feet so you don't lose what you've built up.

With boots if you can borrow some or get some secondhand it's worth doing as you may find the feet change so much they don't fit after a bit.

jj4y

Visit site
Brilliant, thanks both. Farrier's not due for another 3 weeks so I'll get him to just roll the edges when he does take them off. I'll also see about changing his diet over the next couple of weeks too.

Roughly how long do hoof boots last? Is it a case of using them each time he's ridden initially, then slowly try short spells without?

JHC

Visit site
RE hoof boots

It depends how he is straight out of shoes. Ideally you need the hooves to condition to the work you're going to do. My TB was fine hacking short distances without boots but need them for longer hacks.

Look up Rockley Farm Blog - loads and loads of very good advice.

The distance you can ride the boots vary. The epics last around 500-750miles. Other boots im not sure about.

LucyPriory

Visit site
RE hoof boots

It depends how he is straight out of shoes. Ideally you need the hooves to condition to the work you're going to do. My TB was fine hacking short distances without boots but need them for longer hacks.

Look up Rockley Farm Blog - loads and loads of very good advice.

The distance you can ride the boots vary. The epics last around 500-750miles. Other boots im not sure about.

Fit is the most important criteria for boots. Although there is a lot of comment about 'typical TB feet' having done a fair few they have come in a variety of shapes....

Most common issue seems to be chronic LGL for which boots are very useful while this is sorted out.

I've some Cavallo boots out there that are onto the third set of hooves - but fit is key and they are not suitable for all hoof shapes.

I can recommend Justine from equinepodiatrysupplies.co.uk very helpful