Would love some input re grading TB mares please!!

Mugsgame

Visit site
I have just aquired a lovely TB filly and am keen to get her graded, but who would/could you grade her with? I would be really pleased to know what my options are... and the pro's/ con's that go with them! She is 3 and already a nice mature stamp of a horse, and (I think
blush.gif
) quite correct!

Thanks again!
wink.gif

Penniless

Visit site
Depends on her size. We have a 15hh TB who is both Head Stud book graded in both the SHB(GB) and the Sports Pony StudBook Society.

Our other bigger mares are graded (Head Stud Book) with SHB(GB).

I'm sure some of the warmblood societies are now also accepting TB mares but I'm sure others on this forum will point you in that direction.

As for pro's and con's - to be perfectly honest - it hasn't made any difference at all with any of our horses - regarding selling stock etc. Good luck with your TB - out of interest - how is she bred?

Touchwood

www.touchwoodstud.co.uk
Most warmblood studbooks accept thoroughbred mares for grading - the thoroughbred is a very important influence in their breeding programs, so they do want good mares continuing to come through. In fact in recognition of this, most of the warmblood studbooks run thoroughbred mare classes at their breed shows.

Mugsgame

Visit site
Once again, excellent info! Thank you!
smile.gif

She is 15.3hh (ish) so too big for the pony books, but taking all this on board I am now thinking SHB(GB) in the first instance - and check they like her as much as we do - then could think about other studbooks should we ever have the need... or at least if we ever consider putting her to a stallion graded with a particular book... Hope that makes sense!
grin.gif

The one thing that I forgot to mention is that she does have a couple of small blemishes from training (nothing serious that would effect her work, but enough to keep her out of the show ring, thats for sure) - they do overlook these at gradings, don't they? They are not conformation related!

Touchwood

www.touchwoodstud.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Once again, excellent info! Thank you!
smile.gif

She is 15.3hh (ish) so too big for the pony books, but taking all this on board I am now thinking SHB(GB) in the first instance - and check they like her as much as we do - then could think about other studbooks should we ever have the need... or at least if we ever consider putting her to a stallion graded with a particular book... Hope that makes sense!
grin.gif

The one thing that I forgot to mention is that she does have a couple of small blemishes from training (nothing serious that would effect her work, but enough to keep her out of the show ring, thats for sure) - they do overlook these at gradings, don't they? They are not conformation related!

[/ QUOTE ]

My Criminal Law mare has appalling blemishes on her hindlegs (sustained in a racing accident). She is graded with both BWBS and BHHS (and currently holds the BHHS thoroughbred mare cup
smile.gif
), in fact I think the fact she is still sound despite such an appalling injury is testament to her toughess.