Would my insurance be void if...

be positive

Visit site
I am not sure about your insurance as there are a lot of scenarios here but I would not be happy with an arena not being enclosed in a yard that is not either.My arena is not fully enclosed but my yard very definitely is, I would not risk my horses by not having it securely fenced and gated.

charliecrisps

Visit site
Id want yard to be locked for horses safety -

My friends horse bolted out of unlocked yard when wasp stung him and straight onto a road; and got hit by a van:-( Tragic day. Van drove off, horse had to be put to sleep straight away after front leg broken.

charliecrisps

Visit site
Id want yard to be locked for horses safety -

My friends horse bolted out of unlocked yard when wasp stung him and straight onto a road; and got hit by a van:-( Tragic day. Van drove off, horse had to be put to sleep straight away after front leg broken.

Incidentally, he was still insured and friend got paid out to answer original query.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I wouldnt think it would be void, no, otherwise noone would be covered if riding in a field, thats not enclosed either!

However if doing something where the horse needed to be focusing and so did I, I would find it easier if I were somewhere where I didnt need to be worrying 'what if I fall off'

Jesstickle

Visit site
Yes you would be insured. What difference does it make to the insurers if horse bolts out of the school or bolts out hacking? That's why you have PL insurance and vet insurance.

snopuma

Visit site
I was wondering if you were asking just so you could demand the arena to be fenced by your yard owner, otherwise why are are you asking?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Seems a stupid thing to have either an arena OR a yard that is not enclosed. We are very strict about people not closing the gate to our yard.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes you would be insured. What difference does it make to the insurers if horse bolts out of the school or bolts out hacking? That's why you have PL insurance and vet insurance.

This. Of course your insurance wouldn't exclude open areas. Nobody would ever be able to hack out!

From the yard's insurance point of view it may make a difference if they are letting it out or running a livery yard that allows people to use it..

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
i would think the land owner would be liable under the animal act 1974 (i think!) then the land owners insurance would then counter sue your individual insurance.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Yes, in the same way you'd be covered if you were halfway down the yard driveway going out hacking & your horse got away.

Luci07

Visit site
It's why you must have public liability insurance. If your horse gets out, even if it is someone elses fault (i.e yard owner ) you are liable. Thing to check is if someone else is riding your horse. If anything happened, you are liable for damage the horse does. You are not covered for the horse, which is why they should have their own riders insurance.

liannexsx

Visit site
Just asking cos it makes me uncomfortable the idea of it. Not using it personally as have not broke young horse yet. Suppose it is the same as hacking, and suppose even enclosed could jump out! Just wondering after a few recent loose horses

Jesstickle

Visit site
Mine regularly jumps the school fence. Usually in to the school rather than out of it but I'm sure he'd go the other way if he wanted to. I'm not sure having a fenced school achieves much apart from a (false) sense of security for the rider tbh.

When he does get loose on the yard he usually heads for the other horses or his field rather than the road (he's a bit of a sod about ramming the stable door open so he's loose from time to time).