Would our horses thank us for losing weight?

Lambkins

Visit site
What people forget it not just the riders weight they carry it the tack as well ..so when the question comes up ..I'm x stone and the pony is x hands /x type not only should the rider weight be taken in to consideration but the tack too ;)

millitiger

Visit site
Just wondered... how does one go about the world telling the cow-boys in europe and america that they should lose a few pounds so that their 15hh quarter horses or andalusians/arabs can benefit? I don't think many would fall below the 12st mark and their horses have to carry them ALL DAY.

Perhaps we should send them all quadbikes instead :D

I think cowboys would understand that less weight = less strain to the horse so doubt it would need much explaining :)

Whether they need to lose weight is another matter.

Here is the site of Olympic riders stats/heights/weights, I find it really interesting.
http://www.london2012.com/athletes/discipline=equestrian/index.html

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Thing is, the act of riding itself causes damage...

The saddle damages, the bridle causes damage, spurs & boots cause damage. Of course even 8 stone of weight can cause pain no matter how well it's distributed. You could argue that weight is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things... sooner or later, the horse will experience some form of bodily fatigue from carrying a rider and associated leatherwork.

Just remember, a foal weighs 50-60kgs at birth and the mother will have carried this constantly for at least a month. We know how much damage foaling year on year causes mares...

I think for the amount of riding the average pleasure rider devotes, a few hours a week is relatively insignificant.

I'm not saying just go ahead and get fat, all I'm saying is that a certain degree of pragmatism is needed and your average medium sized horse can carry 12st rather comfortably, conformation and health all considered.

tallyho!

Visit site

millitiger

Visit site
Have I tried what?
Explaining to someone that carrying less weight = less strain?

It's pretty self explanatory.

Or did you mean convincing them they should lose weight, which is a totally different question.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I always wince when I see Pat Parelli on his tiny horse, Magic. He looks so huge on her. She appears to cope quite well, but I did see her stagger and sway a bit on the last clip I watched. It was only for a couple of seconds whilst she struggled to balance herself and his huge bulk. He's hardly 'fat' but I would guess he's a good 17 stone which with that saddle is far too heavy for that mare IMO.

Skib

sites.google.com
I have enjoyed this thread and the info. Thank you.
I was told at two different riding schools that the two horses I most enjoyed riding should not carry more than 10 stone.
I took this seriously and it has kept my weight below 9 stone 7 for the last ten years. At one point, after time off due to health, I confessed that in full winter kit I might be over 10 stone and did not want to harm the horse. I was reassured that my extra pound or two would not hurt her.
Riding schools do set weight limits for an individual horse and it has done me no harm to to believe it matters. A lot.

tallyho!

Visit site
Have I tried what?
Explaining to someone that carrying less weight = less strain?

It's pretty self explanatory.

Or did you mean convincing them they should lose weight, which is a totally different question.

Sorry, I don't mean to start an argument with you. What I am trying to say is that I just don't think they think about it as much as pleasure riders.

The horses are there to do a job. They do it until they can't anymore and a new horse will take its place.

I'm sure they are aware that excess weight is detrimental to the performance of their mounts but I don't think they go about the day pondering whether or not to have three more beers so that the horse sees the benefit.

CobsGalore

Visit site
Riding schools do set weight limits for an individual horse and it has done me no harm to to believe it matters. A lot.

I think it matters a lot in riding schools too. The horse has to put it with unbalanced and inexperienced riders (there are exceptions obviously) who probably only ride once a week at the most.

If these people are even close to being too heavy for the horse, it is going to make that horses job a hell of a lot harder.

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
Have not read all the replies on this "Would our horses thank us for losing weight?".

to me the answer is no because they do not think like we do, they are animals and accept what we do to them, good or sadly in a lot of cases, bad.

Seeing a small animal struggle under a large weight is sad, seeing a large animal being restrained by strong bits and contraptions ridden by a tiny person is bad. Get one that fits, it's far more fun.

tallyho!

Visit site
Have not read all the replies on this "Would our horses thank us for losing weight?".

to me the answer is no because they do not think like we do, they are animals and accept what we do to them, good or sadly in a lot of cases, bad.

Seeing a small animal struggle under a large weight is sad, seeing a large animal being restrained by strong bits and contraptions ridden by a tiny person is bad. Get one that fits, it's far more fun.

I completely agree with this. They do just accept sadly. The very act of training, keeping and taming them already puts paid to any fight or flight instinct. It's the very basis of domestication.

It is our responsibility to look after them and choose our mount wisely because of this... Yet the abuse of trust is evident at every level.

millitiger

Visit site
Sorry, I don't mean to start an argument with you. What I am trying to say is that I just don't think they think about it as much as pleasure riders.

The horses are there to do a job. They do it until they can't anymore and a new horse will take its place.

I'm sure they are aware that excess weight is detrimental to the performance of their mounts but I don't think they go about the day pondering whether or not to have three more beers so that the horse sees the benefit.

It's ok, I don't see it as an argument.

So, yes, I would find it very easy to explain to a cowboy that weighing less will benefit their horse but that doesn't mean I will be able to persuade them to lose weight :)

Equally (and probably a much bigger issue) is the amount of hugely overweight people I see who are underhorsed in this country.

I am sure deep down they know their horse would appreciate them being lighter but it doesn't mean that is enough motivation to lose the weight.

scarymare

Visit site
Sorry haven't read the replies

Of course they would!

And anyone who says otherwise is in denial.

They reckon in racing its a lb a length. A horse carrying topweight in a handicap will have thus a significantly harder job than a bottom weight - can't remember what this is. That's why you have handlicap races!

I am about 11 stone. I'm a size 12 but I bet my horse would go better if I was lighter. One of the best breakers of horses in my area weighs 7 1/2 stone. So am I sending her mine - no of course not, absolutely pointless. It does annoy me when I see heavy riders at shows stuffing their faces with burgers then sitting (for hours) on horses which may be tall but tend to have no bone. What annoys me more though is the total Lack of self awareness. So whilst your horse may be able to carry you, he would carry you far better if you were lighter.

Megibo

Visit site
Proving to be an interesting thread :)

I definitely (and obviously) see a difference in my horse. She's forward going and bright when I ride her but when we put kids on who can't even weigh 8 stone she positively pings around!

SavingGrace

Visit site
I don't think it just the horse that benefits from us being lighter and fitter! In March last year I gave up riding completely due to my weight and my confidence hit an all time low with one naughty horse after another! In May I hit 19stone the heaviest I have ever been in my life but I was determined to lose weight and get fit in the process. So I joined a gym got myself a personal trainer and now I am down to 15 1/2 stone and I started having lessons on a friends 6yr old Friesian x cob just before Christmas. Now I am still 4 1/2 stone off my target but I can already feel the difference in my balance in the saddle being that little bit lighter and having my muscles shaping up nicely aswell. I am now sharing the above mentioned horse with a view to buying him in a few months time if all goes to plan. But I remain working and focusing hard on my goals... I actually never knew getting fit would be so much fun I am a changed woman... if you asked me this time last year if I would be planning to enter 10k obstacle runs this winter I would tell you where to go but now I am really looking forward to my first in October... it also helps that my PT is a hottie lol :)

tallyho!

Visit site
It does annoy me when I see heavy riders at shows stuffing their faces with burgers then sitting (for hours) on horses which may be tall but tend to have no bone.

ROFL... my bugbear at shows...

Horse all ready and warmed up. Turn up at ringside. Class running late. Sit. Mum/friend brings burger and squash. See a few friends. Sit. Eat. Gossip. Horse gets fidgety. Start telling it off. Give it a sharp smack.

Finally! In the ring! Horse gone to sleep. Won't canter. Come 7th. Wonder what happened??? Stupid bloody horse!!!