Would people loan/share a young horse ?

zandp

Visit site
Having this conversation on the yard the other day. A few of us have young horses and were discussing loaning / sharing them. I wasn't sure anyone would be interested but the others thought they would be, perhaps A level students going off to uni in a year or so.

The youngsters on the yard are at various stages of education, 1 being rebacked after being turned away and the person who was doing the riding being taken ill, 1 being hacked out regularly with lessons once a month in flatwork and jumping and 1 being hacked out very irregularly.

What do you think ?

Redders

Visit site
of course they would!!! i am looking right now. you just have to make sure you ge the right type of poeple who want to work towards the same goal in the horses education as you.and someone calm with forgiving hands.

Ella19

Visit site
as above by redders

also if it was to be a long term situation otherwise I would feel very reluctant that I would putting work into a young horse to have it taken away once established.

Redders

Visit site
very true, i would want the opportunity to compete and some recognition for my efforts, maybe in the form of recommendations or the chance to work on a new youngster after the sale/loan. i helped a friend out with a youngster who did very well and after his sale, i was inundated with offers of other peoples youngsters to work on, not because i am the best rider, but because i dont scare or flap, am always calm, and ride properly with my legs. BUT, i worked on a stud farm and was breaking a cbxtb stallion...amazing horse, if i had the money i would buy him, but the owner was a horrid horrid man (who i reported to the rspca and then left) who sold him for £7000 (a lot of that price was down to his breed however) and took all the credit for his outline and temperment!!! i dont recall him being the one gently climbing aboard the saddle with no idea of what may happen next! but never mind, horse is in much better hands now.

if i had a youngster, the experience of the rider would be much more important that the money, so i would probably charge a little less for the right person, as the work is more involved than with a push button done it all horse you can jump straight on and take glory.

namordor

Visit site
I think a lot of people would be happy to share a young horse. Just make sure that they're being honest with you about their experience! I personally would! :p