Would such a small amount of vit e make this difference

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
So big horse has been on progressive earth pro balance and their vit e powder for the last six weeks after he tied up back in August per vets advice that I try him on a good balancer and extra vit e.
His bloods showed no raised enzymes so we think it's a fluke but it wouldn't hurt to help his muscles.
Both parents are p1 negative.

It's been a trial finding a chaff he would each (thunder Brooks herbal chaff) and finding a way of him eating vit e as he would not touch the oil... Friend had some of the eqimins to try and get point blank refused it even just adding little bits in but the powdered one from progressive earth he will take.

So he has been on a scoop of the pro balance plus and a scoop of the vit e powder and I am going to up both this week by one more scoop then he will be on 4000 in a day from their description.

Now in the last six weeks he has become so much more relaxed, muscles aren't as tense, he isn't spooky anymore, he is starting work want to work more foreword and engage more.

Would just this little bit of the balancer and vit e have that much of a difference in six weeks?

I was thinking of keeping it at two scoops of each until Christmas and then evaluate if he needed any more vit e.
Does that sound right?

PorkChop

Visit site
My mare had a very quick, positive response when I added Vitamin E and Alcar to her food, so in answer to your question, yes!

If it were me I would keep doing what you are doing :)

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My mare had a very quick, positive response when I added Vitamin E and Alcar to her food, so in answer to your question, yes!

If it were me I would keep doing what you are doing :)

Thank you.

It's so nice to see him back to how he was six months ago.

paddy555

Visit site
vit E makes a lot of difference very quickly but I would query how much you are feeding. I would instantly feed at least 8000iu and probably nearer 10000 iu per day if he is a big horse. I would also make sure it is natural vit E and not synthetic for the best results. I would certainly do it at this level for a horse that has tied up once and to my mind is therefore at the risk of doing it again.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
vit E makes a lot of difference very quickly but I would query how much you are feeding. I would instantly feed at least 8000iu and probably nearer 10000 iu per day if he is a big horse. I would also make sure it is natural vit E and not synthetic for the best results. I would certainly do it at this level for a horse that has tied up once and to my mind is therefore at the risk of doing it again.

It says it's natural vit e.

I've been introducing it slowly as he is such a fussy eater, that also won't eat more than three handfuls of chaff at one meal, that if I give it at the 8000 a day straight away he will just refuse to eat it so it's being upped by a scoop every two weeks. He is just happy to live of hay and grass so it's been a mammoth take finding something he will actually eat.
The only thing that has changed in the last six weeks is me adding first the chaff then the balancer then the vit e.

He is 16:3 so would you suggest we end up on 10,000 a day?

Edited to add he won't eat breakfast feed with just tea as in his mind going out is much more important than having breakfast and even if it's given 40 minutes before I get up there to turn out (so at 6amish) he just leaves it and waits to go out.

paddy555

Visit site
It says it's natural vit e.

I've been introducing it slowly as he is such a fussy eater, that also won't eat more than three handfuls of chaff at one meal, that if I give it at the 8000 a day straight away he will just refuse to eat it so it's being upped by a scoop every two weeks. He is just happy to live of hay and grass so it's been a mammoth take finding something he will actually eat.
The only thing that has changed in the last six weeks is me adding first the chaff then the balancer then the vit e.

He is 16:3 so would you suggest we end up on 10,000 a day?

Edited to add he won't eat breakfast feed with just tea as in his mind going out is much more important than having breakfast and even if it's given 40 minutes before I get up there to turn out (so at 6amish) he just leaves it and waits to go out.

mine is less that that, probably around 15.3 and he is on (and was started immediately) on 8000iu plus he gets around another 2000iu in his balancer. For your size and most especially if you even think you could have tying up or muscle problems I would increase it as quickly as possible. Mine showed results within 2 days. Within a week we were riding a totally different horse. He has been on this dose coming up to 2 years next Feb

It is even more important now than in the summer as there is so little vit E in grass (Oct - Mar) or in hay plus they don't store vit E.

Mine tied up.

I give the equimins one and find it really easy. I give it to all 6 of my horses and one old pony They all love it.
I don't mix it in feed as it is far too expensive and could be wasted. I feed it twice a day (4000iu each dose) and I squeeze it onto a piece of bread. They regard it as a treat and grab it. Other people use different things to bread but it is just one mouthful that is fun for the horse and it goes down. My old pony (ex feral) is the only one who doesn't like bread so much so I keep back a handful of feed (soaked copra and dengie alfalfa pellets) make a little hole in it and squeeze it in there. She eats it every timeand licks my hand clean.

The equimins vit E oil is BTW totally tasteless. I have tried it.

SEL

Visit site
It's great stuff - the one thing I panic about running out of. I've used both forage plus and progressive earth powders. My 15.1 draft (she is PSSM +) gets about 5000iu a day of the straight stuff and a bit more via her balancer.

No nasty taste either - but then mine guzzle their feeds so I can get away with most stuff

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
mine is less that that, probably around 15.3 and he is on (and was started immediately) on 8000iu plus he gets around another 2000iu in his balancer. For your size and most especially if you even think you could have tying up or muscle problems I would increase it as quickly as possible. Mine showed results within 2 days. Within a week we were riding a totally different horse. He has been on this dose coming up to 2 years next Feb

It is even more important now than in the summer as there is so little vit E in grass (Oct - Mar) or in hay plus they don't store vit E.

Mine tied up.

I give the equimins one and find it really easy. I give it to all 6 of my horses and one old pony They all love it.
I don't mix it in feed as it is far too expensive and could be wasted. I feed it twice a day (4000iu each dose) and I squeeze it onto a piece of bread. They regard it as a treat and grab it. Other people use different things to bread but it is just one mouthful that is fun for the horse and it goes down. My old pony (ex feral) is the only one who doesn't like bread so much so I keep back a handful of feed (soaked copra and dengie alfalfa pellets) make a little hole in it and squeeze it in there. She eats it every timeand licks my hand clean.

The equimins vit E oil is BTW totally tasteless. I have tried it.

I don't think he likes the consistency as I have tried it from a friend, he doesn't do oily or very wet slimy food and he hates bread....thinks it's poison, doesn't really like much apart from hay and grass.

Will up it more this week to 8000iu