Would these make you liable in an accident?

Molly'sMama

Visit site
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAUTION-Non...upplies_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0162T4XCNRQCTKDV0YZV

Interested in purchasing one, as my JRT is very sweet and cuddly looking - children seem to adore her- but in her old arthritic days, she can snap - has never bitten, just pulls an ugly face- if people she doesn't know/aren't good with dogs lunge at her.

My question is.. if worst came to the worst, and she bit someone, would I then be more liable, as I was publically 'aware' and warning people that she might? I know some people have had this problem with putting signs up in the gardens/yard 'warning dogs ' etc.

Your views would be great- It's no big deal if so, we walk in pretty isolated hilly areas etc.
Thanks ! x

Fides

Visit site
My OH lawyer says that yes it would as they would question why the dog wasn't muzzled if it was already know the dog had 'issues'. It gives the 'bitten' proof of knowledge so to speak. Also caution is only of use if someone can read, and indeed read English.

mandwhy

Visit site

Fides

Visit site
What about a yellow dog lead or other products? I would hope that kids may have come across this and if not you have grounds to explain not to approach a 'yellow dog' for next time. It doesn't have to state the dog is dangerous, they say 'I need space' which can mean anything really and is just a polite request as far as I can see http://www.yellowdoguk.co.uk/index.php/online-store#!/~/product/category=0&id=33141128

It has been well publicised in the press and social media that the yellow ones are for nervous dogs. Red universally is associated with danger

mandwhy

Visit site
Yes, that's why I thought it might be appropriate for this dog rather than labelling it 'dangerous', it encompasses dogs that are nervous or unfriendly because they are old and grumpy.

'Why might a dog need space?

There are many reasons why a dog may need space:

Maybe it has health issues
It may be a rescue dog being rehabilitated. The world can be a very scary place for these dogs.
It may have had a bad experience with another dog or is just not like the kind of friendly dogs which always want to say “Hi!”
A bitch may be in heat
The dog may be in training
It may be very old and arthritic
It may be very nervous or shy and other dogs cause it stress
In short, a yellow marker on a dog means it needs some space.'