Would this affect the lameness of a horse?

Aztecflyer

Visit site
I have posted before about my horse and his 'un levelness' and looking at his foot he has a big chunk/gash taken out his foot that has grown down. My question is would it make him lame?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My mare was sound on this hoof (abscess holes that had burst at the coronet growing out).

100_2174.jpg

Can you take a photo of your horse's hoof? What took the chunk out?

YasandCrystal

Visit site
My mare was sound on this hoof (abscess holes that had burst at the coronet growing out).

100_2174.jpg

Can you take a photo of your horse's hoof? What took the chunk out?

Faracat has your mare got 'sinkage'? I ask as the pic looks like there is a dip above the coronet band. My mare had this :(

Aztecflyer

Visit site
YasandCrystal thank you so much!

So this is my boys foot. the gash is deep but not that big!

7ca930ff.jpg

also im not sure these shoes are the best for him either!

Aztecflyer

Visit site
He said its nothing, but a second opinion said he must have has an old abcess, about 8 months ago and it burst and has grown out? would tie in to his unsoundness at the end of last year but then he went sound.

I noticed this about a month ago?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Last edited:

Bryndu

Visit site
YasandCrystal thank you so much!

So this is my boys foot. the gash is deep but not that big!

7ca930ff.jpg

also im not sure these shoes are the best for him either!

Hi,
May I ask.....does your horse have that large bump on the pastern above the coronary band on the other hoof?
Best wishes
Bryndu

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
One abscess wouldn't cause me to search for a new farrier. My grey who has wonderful hooves has had one abscess over the three years that I've owned her (she's not shod) it's just one of those things.

If your horse is getting lots of abscesses/hoof problems and you're unhappy with the job farrier is doing, then that is a good reason to get a different farrier.

Looking at your photo, I can see that your farrier has given your horse some heel support, which is good.

Aztecflyer

Visit site
I can't find any lumps on either foot? He has come out of his box today so much better so maybe just some rest?

Was told by another farrier that he would shoe him with one toe clip and less heel support and he over reaches very badly and pulls off shoes!

Bloody horses!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Was told by another farrier that he would shoe him with one toe clip and less heel support and he over reaches very badly and pulls off shoes!

Noooooooooooo! ^ This is the start of the slippery slope to long toes, under-run heels and possibly tendon trouble.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Not laminitis - you can read the whole sorry saga and see the photos here http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=549121 I will add up to date ones as soon as I get around to taking them. :eek:

Faracat my hubby looked at your sorry thread and I won't repeat exactly what he said but he finished with if he shod feet like that he would give up! He said the pressure from those long toes would be unbelievable :( I hope you sent the pics to the Farriers Registration Council! Absolutely disgusting.