Would you and do you turn out on rough frozen ground?

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
NO THEY DON’T!!!! people with this opinion are the cause of so so many problems!

I have a horse that would undoubtedly do himself a serious injury if turned out in winter let alone on frozen rutty ground. I would love to turn him out but he is relaxed and happy in his stable with exercise each end of the day. A friend turns hers out on whatever ground and all they do is stand by gate waiting come back in!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I would if it was my only option other than stabling, but my two are both tough and sensible (and barefoot) so I can understand others making a different decision.

As it is I have a yard area I can use if needed, though it hasn't been needed much this year. For the current freeze they are in their summer field, they can't harm it whilst it's frozen solid and it's nice and smooth.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m having to back track.... ?
I mean I’ve turned out anyway but am in a bit of a predicament here!
My horse was shod yesterday and I’d noticed picking his hinds out that they seemed more concave. Farrier said he has receded soles, this is caused by his already soft thin soles from wet ground being sloughed away on the frozen rutted ground.
He’s recomended not turning out in muddy wet conditions or frozen, or at least be careful about doing so. That’s don’t turn out over winter then ?‍♀️

paddy555

Visit site
I have a horse that would undoubtedly do himself a serious injury if turned out in winter let alone on frozen rutty ground. I would love to turn him out but he is relaxed and happy in his stable with exercise each end of the day.

at what part of the day does he get the chance in indulge in horse behaviour?

racebuddy

Visit site
My boy been out all day every day loves his days in the field , lucily i have good geound and grass , hes a horse that loves being out in the day , been a competition horse all his life bit never comprimises on his welfare needs xxx

muddybay

Visit site
Mines out every day even for a few hours in the snow! I understand not everyone can do that but I love to just watch him be a horse

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Mine are out every day, and most nights.

I’ll only bring in if it is very wet and rainy or if Mimosa is standing at the gate, yelling to come in. The longest they have been in this winter is probably 4.30pm until 9am, when it was dark at 4ish.

One Spanish and one 83% Arab and the rest some thoroughbred, warmblood and weirdly Shetland. I often remind her to channel her inner Shetland.

Neither are exercised beyond a few hacks so it would be totally unfair to keep them in.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Mine are out in the day at the moment. The only tricky bit is the gateway, but luckily we had the hedge trimmer come the other day and he’s made two flat tracks from the tractor tyres which make it abit easier for the horses to navigate!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I think the hardest thing is trying to balance the state of the grass against turning out.

This week looks so wet and I’m considering whether it is better to restrict turnout (maybe bring in overnight every night or do days in) just to save the ground a bit.

It has held up quite well to now so I have had them out as much as possible. Over the last two weeks it has frozen, thawed, been rained on, frozen again and now it’s looking like it will raining all week.