Would you be a little annoyed too?

dominobrown

Visit site
So the yard where I used to work and manage is selling off some of the ponies.
The images used are of me riding the ponies, taken with my camera, lifted from facebook page, and all over a year old when the ponies where last ridden, adverts stating that they have done this and that etc, but I was the last one to do anything with them, they have stood in the field for year.
The new person working there also asked me how I charge for clipping then undercut wherever possible, thought she was a friend, but thats the horse world (especially as I taught her how to clip!)
So a little bit hacked off, must act maturelly *repeat to self*
Also said person would like livery at my new yard, not going to happen!

Ben2684

Visit site
Hmmm I'd be a little hacked off about the photos, they could have at least asked!! but I'm not sure if they are in the wrong legally-guess that's the problem when pictures are on interweb/social media. Someone with some legal knowledge may know though :)

Abacus

Visit site
I'd be a bit cross that she was using your photos without asking, and annoyed in a general (not personal) sense if she is implying in the adverts that the ponies are currently at that level of work.

Undercutting your clipping prices is mean from a friend, but from a business perspective it's a common thing to do; I wouldn't worry too much about that unless she is being very aggressive in taking customers from you.

You can only rise above it all I guess, unless you want to start a confrontation / fall out with her by asking her to take the photos down.

Abacus

Visit site
Actually you aren't supposed to take and use any information from someone's social profile for a purpose other than the original poster intended. So you would be within your rights to ask her not to.

dominobrown

Visit site
I wouldn't do it, however I'm not going to cause a fight. You can only get away with lying about horses on adverts, for instance good in everyway, and very safe, when the child for whom the pony was bought for ended up airlifted at one point! Just commented on the advert that they are not up to date photos. People may read between the lines if they wish!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would contact whoever used your pictures and demand they are taken down that is incredibly cheeky, I would also be inclined to comment on the page stating you did not allow for your pictures to be used for the sale of the ponies.

as for the clipping seen as you taught her to clip that is really a horrible thing to do at least you know what sort of person they are and can steer well clear, maybe put some flyers around yourself and offer a clipping discounted few weeks and undercut them I would be tempted if it were me.

little_critter

Visit site
I would contact whoever used your pictures and demand they are taken down that is incredibly cheeky, I would also be inclined to comment on the page stating you did not allow for your pictures to be used for the sale of the ponies.

as for the clipping seen as you taught her to clip that is really a horrible thing to do at least you know what sort of person they are and can steer well clear, maybe put some flyers around yourself and offer a clipping discounted few weeks and undercut them I would be tempted if it were me.

If the ad is on facebook I think you can click on the photo and report it to FB and ask for it to be removed (if you wanted to)

Spilletta

Visit site
Yes, I would also be annoyed. Actually, I'm annoyed on your behalf! How rude to copy the photos without permission.

With regards to the clipping, that sort of business practice is why I'd probably be rubbish at running my own business, as I could never do that to someone who'd taught me how to get started. She's shot herself in the foot a bit because if you're too busy to fit someone in, I doubt you'll be suggesting they contact her!

alainax

Visit site
If you worked there, and the photos were taking while you were at work, doing your work, on work property and in the public domain, I don't think it is unreasonable that they could use those photos. They should have said to you first though.

Would be different if it was your private horse, you riding in your own time I would imagine.

dominobrown

Visit site
Little update... Pony which is for sale is now a purebred Connemara.... err not its not is a Cob X, good luck proving that!
This is probably a new thread, blatant lying in adverts....

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I wouldn't do it, however I'm not going to cause a fight. You can only get away with lying about horses on adverts, for instance good in everyway, and very safe, when the child for whom the pony was bought for ended up airlifted at one point! Just commented on the advert that they are not up to date photos. People may read between the lines if they wish!

Yep, this!! ^^^ IF the adverts are on FB then you can exact very simple revenge by commenting on the post, i.e. I would comment something chirpy along the lines of "gosh, it doesn't seem like last year (or however long it was) that I was riding pony XXX, doesn't time fly", or something like that, just to make your point.

But yes OP agree that you have every reason to feel chagrined. I would be too. Don't know about the legal position re. the photos.

But re. the clipping - that is very annoying, yes, and yes it would P!ss me right off, but personally I would rather pay someone that little extra to do a good job, than someone else who yes might be cheaper, but does an @rse of a job. Your reputation is unique to you, and presumably you will still have your loyal clients that know you do a decent job.

Why do people do stuff like this? FFS

GirlFriday

Visit site
To be fair most horse adverts will have pics from a range of dates because people often use the snaps they have rather than taking fresh ones of horse doing everything, and, espec when out and about snaps I think that is reasonable.

It would be polite to ask you as the pics were taken off your page but really, I don't suppose you asked if you could put up pics of their horse so the only difference really is who took them and that they are using them to sell something.

Can't comment obvs on breeding. Undercutting is a difficult one.

Sorry to here you're miffed. Personally I don't think you'd be doing your own professional reputation any good by getting into a public spat on FB though.

dominobrown

Visit site
Luckily I don't need to get into a spat, better yo say nothing. Several prospective buyers have asked me about said pony, just told them to be very careful when viewing and take advert with pinch of salt. Nothing nasty or libellous. I am not going to a have a great b*tching match, absolutely no point!