Would you be annoyed if...

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
Someone knocked on your door/put a letter through your door asking if you did livery? I randomly spotted on Google Earth that someone near me has the most beautiful track / paddock paradise set up. I drove past today and rang the buzzer at the gates but there was no reply. I'd love to keep my girl on a track like this but there are no livery yards around here that have anything approaching a track. This one was immaculate and the horses looked so chilled and happy when I drove past.

Would you go back and try again? I'm thinking I might and maybe leave a letter so they don't have to contact me if they don't want to. The house was very private behind electric gates. Would you be offended.

Thanks.

Merlod

Visit site
I often get people turning up on the off chance of livery which I don't mind but it's not always ideal if youre in the middle of chores or about to ride :) but I think a letter would be perfect - gives the owner time to consider and respond.

DuckToller

Visit site
Yes leave a note, rather than ring on the bell. I often think people who have big electric gates tend to be the sort who want to keep the world at bay, so be prepared for a no, or even no response at all. But it is always worth a try.

Make sure you list your good points - I am willing poo pick or look after yours when you go away etc. Things like that would swing it for me!

DD265

Visit site
I've done just that in the past. Everybody I asked was really nice even though they didn't take liveries and I was pointed in the direction of some alternative places to try.

As long as you're polite, take no for an answer and try to be considerate about when you call past, I don't expect you'll be met with rudeness.

Dubsie

Visit site
We get a few as we are adjacent to a big housing estate. Don't mind the livery askers, it is the obnoxious blokes who assume a) you want to sell your field to them and b) it's be easy to get planning for the fantastic house they'd like to build (they won't as its green gap between villages). Had one guy when I was trying to go out insisting I would want to sell and he'd always wanted to live here (really? why only ask now when I'm going out?) he kept upping the price he'd offer and I kept saying which part of the word no it's not for sale did he not understand?! In the end I had to ask him to leave as I was going to lock the gate and drive off.

I'd say a nice letter is fine.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
When we first moved in we had door knockers, and I got fed up with it. I reckon if I wanted liveries I would put a board outside, with something to that effect. We are like Fort Knocks now, not just because of unsolicited calls, but also because of risk of crime.

I liken it that most houses have 1 or 2 cars outside, and many people sell their cars every 2 or 3 years, so I guess a fair chance that if enough people knocked then sooner or later a car would be for sale. But, it would make most people fed up, I think, if you had regular door knockers asking if you would like to sell your car when there was no advertisement to that effect on the car or gate.

I guess it is a bit like unsolicited phone calls at night.

A polite letter would be OK, it is not as intrusive, and you can choose weather or not to answer.

dibbin

Visit site
Not at all. We'd only just moved our horses in and someone sent me a PM on Facebook asking if we could take in another one!

Annagain

Visit site
My OH has quite an interesting car (his big boy toy) on the drive. Over the years, we've had several people knock on the door to ask about it (usually curiosity rather than people wanting to buy it) including someone who wanted the paint code to paint his Lambretta scooter the same colour. OH takes it as a compliment and loves talking about it.

I would be happy someone thought my yard looked so nice they wanted to be there!

Deltic Blue

Visit site
My friend did this once as we noticed a nice yard set up being built near to our yard, so she wrote a letter and posted it in their letterbox.
They were nice and replied to her saying they don't do livery, but it's worth an ask!
Don't ask don't get :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We were driving round the district in desperation, saw someone hanging out her washing, stopped and asked about livery for our mare. We stayed there for 10 yrs until we took our, by that time, 4 horses to our own land.
Although I understand why some posters are advising that you write a letter, I would want to meet someone before considering taking them in as a livery.

Greylegs

Visit site
We were driving round the district in desperation, saw someone hanging out her washing, stopped and asked about livery for our mare. We stayed there for 10 yrs until we took our, by that time, 4 horses to our own land.
Although I understand why some posters are advising that you write a letter, I would want to meet someone before considering taking them in as a livery.

I agree with this, but they're hardly likely to reply with a "Yes, bring your horse along tomorrow...!" type answer. If the letter elicits an amenable response, then I'm sure they'll ask you to come and meet them before any decision is made. (You may hate them when you meet them!!) ...

I'm with the others who suggest a polite letter and wait to see what happens. Good luck ...

atlantis

I agree with this, but they're hardly likely to reply with a "Yes, bring your horse along tomorrow...!" type answer. If the letter elicits an amenable response, then I'm sure they'll ask you to come and meet them before any decision is made. (You may hate them when you meet them!!) ...

I'm with the others who suggest a polite letter and wait to see what happens. Good luck ...

No I wouldn't think they would answer like that. It would need certain things to fall into place for it to work, like all things do, but I think it's worth asking.

Yes I would want to meet them before making a decision anyway and the sort of arrangement for a private yard it needs to be mutually beneficial. I was on a private yard with my last horse and it was wonderful. Just the owner and a couple of liveries we were all good friends and we were even allowed to swim in their pool. I'd love that sort of arrangement again. Unfortunately we don't like in the same area any more and they've sold up anyway!! Fingers crossed.

Annie B.

Visit site
A note posted as an introduction before offering to come meet face to face is what I prefer. I get asked a couple of times a month and can always tell when there has been a fall out on one of the local livery yards as it steps up a lot. I have had one hand posted this week but our main gates where locked so they have climbed over to post which has really peed me off.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I think "I've heard you have a lovely track system" might be better than I've spotted you on Google Earth but otherwise you may as well drop them a note.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

No, of course they won't! But they are far more likely to ignore the letter than to respond in any way. If the right horse owner approaches them in person, they may just consider it

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I found my last yard by just knocking at the door and saying, sorry to bother you but I have seen horses in your fields and wonder if you take liveries? I stayed there for 8 years till the place was sold for development. I then did the same and went to quite a few places locally, everyone treated me pleasantly and some didn't have spaces but were happy to show me round. when I called at my current yard the owner initially said she didn't take diy as the last people were very difficult,however she said we could go there on 3 months trial to make sure we were compatible and we have now been there 18 months and both sides are happy, so its definately worth a try....

live-love-laugh

Visit site
It wouldn't bother me someone knocking to ask. No harm in asking.

When we have the yard built here the house isn't even visible from the road so the yard won't be either.

claracanter

Visit site
When I was a kid my mum found a yard a mile from our house just by knocking on someone's door who had horses and asking if they would take in a livery. I always admired her for doing this, my dad would never have had the nerve.

So go for it!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I wouldn't be offended, in fact I was asked if I would have a retired mare so that she could live out 24/7 with the company of mine and I did take her and it has worked out really well.

atlantis

Thank you all for your replies. I've decided to do a letter I think. I'll put a bit about, "I was driving past and noticed you had a really lovely track system in place. I was wondering if you'd consider taking in a livery". I'd put in a bit about me, including that I am currently training to be sn Equipilates Biomechdnics trainer, that I'm a Physio and that I wouldn't mind giving a monthly Physio /alignment session in return for being able to livery there (and I'd pay livery obviously).

Then I'd put a bit in about Lottie.

What do you think?

SusieT

Visit site
I would leave out the bit about monthly physio - I wouldn't want someone who might be wanting to 'advise' me on horse stuff constantly, just put about what you do maybe.

Nicnac

Visit site
I think "I've heard you have a lovely track system" might be better than I've spotted you on Google Earth but otherwise you may as well drop them a note.

Was going to say the same! GoogleEarth sounds a bit stalkerish. Good luck-letter defo way to approach it imo.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I wouldn't put too much about you , maybe just a bit about lottie and what you do with her.. I still think calling in person is better as they can always ignore a letter so you will never know if they would be happy for a livery. good luck