would you be interested in this livery set up

madeleine1

Visit site
hi
just wondering if people would be interested in this sort of set up.
i would have room for about 4 horses or 3 horses and 2 ponies, mostly due to the amount of grazing.

you would get:
a decent stable
turn out and bring in
grooming
rug change
feeding (not supplying feed)
haying (not supplying hay but could)
storage
tack room and kitchen
feed room
decent hacking
field schooling are
wash area and solarium

also not sorted out yet but maybe skiping out and mucking out but prefer not to as i have a job as well. could also lunge for extra and do schooling livery for larger horses if needed.

around £60 a week.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
No - not because there is anything wrong with what you are offering, but because I hate part/full livery. :p

When I did have CM on part livery, it was £65 per week (Hertfordshire) and you got overnight turnout with ad-lib hay if needed (needed pretty much all year as there wasn't much grass). The horses were bought in, in the morning and fed but not groomed. They had two large haynets in the day and were turned out in the evening if you didn't do it first. Boxes were mucked out once a day.

The yard had nice wooden boxes, an outdoor sand school, storage, kettle and a loo.

AFlapjack

Visit site
you would get:
a decent stable
turn out and bring in
grooming
rug change
storage
tack room and kitchen
feed room
decent hacking
field schooling are
wash area and solarium

Where my boy is currently based, I could theoretically get all that (minus field for schooling, grooming, & mucking out but plus outdoor floodlight school and use of equissage machine) for under £50 a week.

I guess it just depends on whereabouts you are and what prices are like in your area (I am in Gloucester btw) and the demand for livery yards.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'd rather have my horse mucked out than groomed.. I would drop the grooming and call it assisted DIY - which I wouldn't pay much more than £40-45 max for. I could get full livery for a big hunter with all included and a nice school for £75 round here, half livery (mucked out and turned out rugs changed in morning, brought in and rug change at night, leaving you to skip them out in the evening and groom) for £50. Again all food included.

mightymammoth

Visit site
potentially but it would depend on the off road hacking, and if you could offer all year turnout? For £60 I think its a bit steep unless you could throw in some hay? where about in the country are you as that can make a big difference.

madeleine1

Visit site
so the general agreement is that if would have to be a bit cheaper without a school.
you would get:
a decent stable
turn out and bring in
rug change
storage
tack room and kitchen
feed room
decent hacking
field schooling area
wash area and solarium

could also lunge for extra and do schooling livery for larger horses if needed.

around £50 a week. i couldnt go any cheaper really and do it

katia

Visit site
Yeah it's the school, or lack of it which would make me look else where.
Around here I think around £40-45 would be about right. Xx

wallykissmas

Visit site
I get what you are offering without the wash area and solarium, but with a bark school which is very well maintained and not slippy/muddy and straw bedding for £52.

We wash on the yard and stick a cooler on, I guess a proper solarium with heat lamps might entice some but would guess people who would hose their horse and make use of a solarium during the winter would want somewhere to school in the eve or if hacking isn't possible.

madeleine1

Visit site
ok
so new option, if it was possible which im not sure of yet to put a school in somewhere or share a very close by school do you think that 60 would be acceptable to people. im sort of doing as much research as possible here. thanks for all the comments good and bad

Liath

Visit site
so the general agreement is that if would have to be a bit cheaper without a school.
you would get:
a decent stable
turn out and bring in
rug change
storage
tack room and kitchen
feed room
decent hacking
field schooling area
wash area and solarium

I currently get everything you're offering apart from the solarium, but with hay and haylege and straw included AND an indoor school for £50 a week... and the hacking is amazing- no roadwork at all- direct access to forestry and AONB hills... so personally, no, I wouldn't pay that much for a place without a school and without hay/haylege and straw included I'm afraid.. BUT it does of course depend where you are- I'm in Somerset, where prices are significantly cheaper than Surrey for example!

abbijay

Visit site
I've just moved off a yard on a similar deal to this. It was priced around £60/week and we had:
Guaranteed year round turnout in well drained paddocks
Individual paddocks if required
Fields poo picked/harrowed for you
Rug changes
Turnout, Bring in & feet picked/hosed
Unlimited haylage (horses hayed up for you)
Bale of shavings
Fed twice a day (own feed)
Large stable
Secure feed/tack room including indiv lockers and ample rug drying space
Brew room with kettle & fridge
Mostly on road but good hacking
Show jump field (spring/summer) with full set of jumps
Floodlit arena
Wash area with cold water
Trailer/wagon parking

The haylage and shavings are worth more than a tenner a week plus I had an arena there but if you tell us you are close to London then I imagine people will find your prices agreeable.

Pippin79

Visit site
On our yard you would pay £56 a week for this, wouldn't include feed or hay / straw but there is a large floodlit school, jumping paddock, horsewalker, lunge pen, solarium, stocks, good year round turnout in post and rail paddocks and horses can live out in summer (on DIY). It does massively depend on your area of the country but you would need most facilities and definitely a school to charge this I think. From experience people on part or full livery generally are time short so somewhere to ride in the dark / all weathers is high on the list, think you'd probably have to be competitive pricewise to pull in the clients without a school.

sarahann1

Visit site
I pay £47 a week for:

TO/In - 5 days a week
Feeds prepared and given
Any rug changes needed
Hay
Straw
Floodlit all weather school - with LOTs of different types of jumps + fillers
Okish hacking
Good stables
Shower bay
Nice big fields with excellent grazing
All poo harrowed
Any ragwort dealt with promptly
Secure tack room
Spaces for feed and 'stuff'
Kitchen

£60 seems a bit steep with no hay and school to be honest, but i guess that depends on where you are OP.

eggs

Visit site
In answer to the OP, no, I wouldn't.

If I were you I would offer assisted DIY livery and include a daily skip out and drop the grooming. Field maintenance would also need to be included.

Round where I am basic DIY is approx £30 per week (this is for yards with a school and good stables and year round turnout) with approx £5 per day for basic care (turn out/in, skip out, feed and hay given) with owner supplying hay, feed and bedding.

Bay TB

Visit site
My boy is at a small yard (5 horses) on assisted DIY.
We get feed and turnout done in the morning (I muck out, bring in, feed and groom etc.. in the evening).
Nice stable
24hour turnout April - Mid Oct (great grazing)
12hour turnout in winter
Secure storage with lighting / kettle / heating
Floodlit outdoor school and great hacking
full show jumps set up in field spring / summer
We buy in haylage and shavings in bulk between us all and buy in our own feed - (all extra).
I pay £35 per week for this in Derbyshire area.

I think £60 is a bit steep if it doesn't include hay and shavings / straw and if you don't have a school. I think alot of people would prefer to have a school rather than a solarium and I would personally prefer to groom myself and not have this as part of the package.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
you would get:
a decent stable
turn out and bring in
rug change
storage
tack room and kitchen
feed room
decent hacking
field schooling area
wash area and solarium

The general concensus is that haylage at the least should be included, as well as a school..

I used to do DIY including haylage for £30/wk, so don't understand how you have to charge £50 to make money.

The best thing to do is compare your facilities and prices honestly to other yards in the area. If they are more expensive for less, you won't get clients. If other yards are a lot more you will!

madeleine1

Visit site
The general concensus is that haylage at the least should be included, as well as a school..

I used to do DIY including haylage for £30/wk, so don't understand how you have to charge £50 to make money.

The best thing to do is compare your facilities and prices honestly to other yards in the area. If they are more expensive for less, you won't get clients. If other yards are a lot more you will!

the basic diy livery in the area is £30 and the only part livery in the area is £70 both r with a school but only goes down to £28 for diy without a school. cheapest full livery in the area is £95 a week going to £120. thanks for the ongoing feed back and it has brought a lot of questions up.

also in answer to one of the questions we would make money at £50 a week of corse but its got to be enought to pay the mortgage back to my dad at a reasonable rate. fiddling figures we could get down to £40 possibly

Pippin79

Visit site
the basic diy livery in the area is £30 and the only part livery in the area is £70 both r with a school but only goes down to £28 for diy without a school. cheapest full livery in the area is £95 a week going to £120. thanks for the ongoing feed back and it has brought a lot of questions up.

also in answer to one of the questions we would make money at £50 a week of corse but its got to be enought to pay the mortgage back to my dad at a reasonable rate. fiddling figures we could get down to £40 possibly

I think £40 is too cheap, especially if you include hay/haylage. £50 sounds about right to me without a school, which is the only thing that would concern me in attracting customers. I know livery prices seem to be determined by the area but I honestly don't see how some people can make money with the rates they charge. If you proportioned water, electric, business rates, reseeding, fertalising and spraying costs, skip or industrial bin costs for wrap/feed bags (although this does depend on size of yard) etc etc per horse you do need to be making a profit or it isn't worth doing unless you're doing it for fun! Plus of course there is your time to take into account. I think there is a fine line between over pricing yourself and doing it to break even. If DIY is £30 in your area you definitely shouldn't need to go lower than £50 for this including hay/haylage without a school in my opionion.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I don't think it is including haylage though..

If basic DIY nearby is £30 and they have a school, to do simple DIY you'd have to be about £25-28 perhaps, so then add some on for turning in and out, giving feeds and haynets for people.. I wouldn't bother with the groom personally - thats more a full/part livery service along with mucking out and food.. So £40-45 would be about right.. You'd have to pay the mortgage with or without liveries, so anything is a bonus, no?

We had a schooling field instead of a field, something to bear in mind is your liveries will use it whatever the weather, it won't even cross their minds that it may churn up on wet days etc, so it will suffer a lot more than when its just you using it and thinking about the state of your ground... Also that there will always be something that needs fixing or doing - things that you wouldn't worry about when its just you and your horses, but has to be done for liveries (think ice clearing etc).

Not meaning to be negative, just they're all things that I'd not thought that much of when we started doing DIY..

Could you ask local rc members to do a survey on what they would like and would pay perhaps?