Would you be interested?

bensababy

Visit site
Just wanted to get a few thoughts... i have a 13.1hh NF gelding - 15 years old. I am looking at loaning him out next year...
However he previously had Acute Laminitis (about 3 years ago) and is now muzzled when out. Obviously due to having Laminitis and a bad farrier, he has had issues with his feet - he cannot ATM have shoes on so has the rubber boots on, while the farrier is re-shaping his feet etc.

He has a fantastic nature and incredibly cute and loving - great with kids. Currently being ridden western.

My question is - would you be put off loaning him?
confused.gif

bushbaby28

Visit site
does he still have issues with his feet and if he's put on a restricted grazing paddock is he ok? we have lami ponies but also have a field espically for them (or they are put in fields after the others have eaten it down completely.)

If it was managable and my yard could accomodate him i wouldn't be completely put off.

bensababy

Visit site
Hes as sounds as anything at the moment, he cannot go barefoot though as he does stuggle. He has the rubber boots on when ridden and turned out and never has problems. He is on restriccted grazing and is out either at night in summer or during day in winter.

I may be bias but he is the most fantasic natured pony i have ever come across. I have had him since he was 8months old and hes a soppy little monkey.
grin.gif

Jericho

Visit site
I dont think it would put me off as long as a yard had turnout for lamis and he doesnt mind coming in / being seperated from others . I keep mine at home so can do what I want regarding grazing and although it seems extra work even if she wasnt laminitic I would be conscious of her weight and the risk so would be managing her for it anyway (I think you have to if you have natives!) Prevention better than cure and all that.

I would be very clear about your concerns to all potential loanees and make a point of veiwing where your boy would be going and keeping a very close eye on the person who has him specially during the 1st spring

bensababy

Visit site
Thank you for the advice. He only got it in the first place due to some idiot chucking grass cuttings over the fence.
I dont think its that hard to maintain them.
Just wanted peoples views before i decide what to do.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
We took on loan a shetland who came to us after suffering an attack of lammi at previous loanees. Her feet were in an appalling state but with time and proper care we had her looking so much better. The owner did give us a grazing muzzle but she got quite sore under her chin so controlled grazing suited her much better. Unfortunately we sent her back as she was naughty off the leadrein. We certainly wouldn't be put off loaning a pony such as yours. If it was right for our daughter then the extra maintenance wouldn't be an issue. If you're near W Yorks let me know as we're still looking for the right pony.
smile.gif