Would you be mad? & experiences please

debsflo

Visit site
i would be absolutley livid. Effectivley they are drugging your horse without consent. if possible v strong words and id be gone..

stormox

Visit site
No yard owner/livery owner should give anything, or change any feed, without telling the owner!!!! Absolutely dreadful and they should be reported

MrsP*

Visit site
I ride them both once a week (due to a difficult time at work at the moment).

I'll have a look at the link thank you.

I suppose they have just made me feel like I don't know anything and what they do is for the best and is right.

Will be stating to yard hunt tonight! I just don't want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire. It's so difficult with not having much time for the horses at the moment. It will be hard trying to get them settled in at another yard and to trust the new YO/YM after all this.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Good luck in your yard hunt. If you find a yard you like the look of you could always ask if anyone has experience of it in the relevant regional board, or just ask for recommendations there.

Fun Times

Visit site
MrsP, I just wanted to put this into context for you. My horses have been on full livery for years at a number of different yards. When I was working away a lot, I barely ever saw them. Even then, I feel pretty certain that they have never been given any drugs or supplements without the yard owner first clearing it with me. I would get texts saying things like "so and so is stiff this morning so am going to give bute. hope this is o.k" or "we are worming all horses next week and will be giving Strongid P" etc. If my yard owner has something new to suggest I might want to try (like a new feed) she gives me the info and lets me make the decision. I am utterly speechless at the difference between this and what has happened with your horse. It sounds to me as though the people on your yard are a bit arrogant and only their views count. Weird. I don't think I woul dbe able to forgive this in that it would make me doubt what else goes on without me knowing.

Incidentally, isn't this the stuff that they gave (or used to give) soldiers to stop them thinking about **whispers and puts hand over mouth** sex?

blackandwhite

Visit site
Op you say "they" told you but you don't say who "they" is. Is it possible your Yo may not know that "they" are routinely dosing liveries' horses? I suspect it's not likely but it's a thought.

MrsP*

Visit site
blackandwhite, 'They' was the YO and the head groom.

Fun Times, another person has just said this to me so yep, I think you're right

Asha

Visit site
My vet recommended it once for one ours who was a gelding that was showing some Riggy tendencies. Tried it, but didn't keep the pony on it. Can't remember why as it's about 7 years ago now.

You certainly couldn't just get it anywhere, so I'd be blinking furious if my horse was given it without consultation with me and my vet.

Personally I'd been speaking to the YM and finding out exactly what's going on, and take it further from there.

JDH01

Visit site
Just a thought and apologies if someone has already suggested this, but is the yard BHS approved, once you have moved if it is I would suggest you speak to them re your concerns. I have always been on full livery (2 yards in 17yrs, current 1 for 14 yrs) and would be appalled if this was happening to my horses, we always discuss any supplements, feed changes and treatments. Talk to your vet and try to get moved quickly.

galaxy

Visit site
A vet prescribed some to my friends mare when she was coming off a long stint of box rest and we needed to be able to walk her sensibly to a pen in a field. It whacked her out, but did wear off within an hour or 2 so I would question exactly how much they are giving your horse for it to have such a lasting effect??? I would also ask what behaviour your horse is meant to have done to require this? Having seen it in action I would have described it nearer a sedative than a calmer and would not have got on my friends horse with the way she reacted to it. She was a total handful when it came to bringing her back into work and it was not advised by vet as an option when we discussed the struggle. I'd say you need to get out of there ASAP.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I think it is very wrong to do this without telling you.
Even on full livery you should know exactly what's happening with your horse.

Even if they really believe you horse needs it, they should have discussed it with you.

If they are doing this without your knowledge, what else are they doing?

Orangehorse

Visit site
Mine was given this, on advice of a vet, when he was such a lunatic after box rest. I had tried Sedalin at home, but he was sent to a livery as he nearly killed me and himself! Nearly killed the YO too, so she rang up the vet for help.

Apparently Bromide is what is given to TB colts when they are broken-in, so the YO said. The effects are not long lasting, so it is administered daily in feed. One problem is that if you give too much it can affect their digestion, I suppose the whole system gets sleepy, I know my YO was out at 10.00 p.m. walking my horse round to try to get him to eat grass, as he hadn't eaten anything as she was worried about colic. Vet said that it can have that effect!

Yes, we worked him when he was on Bromide. The dose gradually got smaller and by the time he was ready to come home he was on 1/2 a teaspoon. It just took the edge off him, I could ride him normally, school him and hack him. I didn't give him any at home, he was back to his normal rountine, back in regular work and was fine.

As for a livery yard administering this without consultation - I am not surprised you are angry, I would be too.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Quite. I was very grateful to the YO, she realised that something was wrong with my horse at the late evening check and did the right thing straight away. If she hadn't been so vigilant we could have had a full blown colic case. I think she was slightly annoyed with the vet for not warning her, but I also think that it takes a bit of fine tuning to get the dose/quantity correct.

Emby

Visit site
If someone did anything like that to my horse I would remove her from the yard NOW - even if it meant putting her in the garden for a few days till I'd found somewhere trustworthy! Totally out of order to be giving a livery's horse anything without permission.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Because it is cheap and is flushed from the body quickly I thought how easily it could be misused. Like viewing a nice quiet horse one day and getting it home to find it is a lunatic .................................

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Just get your horse out of there NOW- happened to me end of last year, horses were being given sedaline, I also just happend to find out.

It very probably is only the tip of the iceburg.

Serioulsy get moving.

MrsP*

Visit site
Think I've found somewhere to take them, a more expensive option but worth it I think. Will move at the weekend. Have been shaking with worry/disappointment/shock/anger tonight nos that it's sunk in

Adopter

Visit site
You must be in shock and feeling so let down. It is not a nice thing to happen, yards are trusted to do their best in the absence of the owner, but giving a calmer without discussion with you is unbe
Ieable.

Hope you find a new yard and move goes well.

Mike007

Visit site
The vet cannot prescribe a treatment for a horse that he is not responsible forand has been brought in by his client . The yard owner is breaking the law by administering veterinary treatment to clients horses ,even if the client agrees. .

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I was so furious for you that I did not dare reply last night!

Move today, then make a fuss.

If they are BHS reg then report to them. I would contact the vet and see what they have to say, if they knew then I would report the vet.

I would warn the other liveries.

I would only do the above once I had calmed down from rage! (other than the moving, which would be done today).

How absolutely awful. You could have been in danger, your horse in danger, you have been disregarded, .......... oh I could go on, but I am shocked and horrified.

Greylegs

Visit site
Like everyone else, I'd be furious and making my feelings very clear. Glad to see you've found somewhere to move to. Just wondering if the other owners on the current yard know what's going on and how they feel about it? Have you spoken to anyone else? They might not be in the know either. Good luck with the move

unicornystar

starbug02.wix.com
I would move, today, end of, name and shame the yard, the lot.

Potassium Bromide as a calmer is a last resort and certainly not for day to day use unless directed by a vet. A friends highly strung mare was prescribed it after a leg operation and 6 weeks in, it was so hardcore in it's effect we stopped using it after day 3!!!

Not something to play with and certainly you should have been informed!! Absolutely a NO NO for any yard to use on your horse without permission.

LittleMonster

Visit site
If someone did anything like that to my horse I would remove her from the yard NOW - even if it meant putting her in the garden for a few days till I'd found somewhere trustworthy! Totally out of order to be giving a livery's horse anything without permission.

I would have hit her... maybe your YO would give me a sedative then!
I'm shaking just thinking about your situation and aggree with Emby they would be in my garden until i found somewhere suitable.

Who the beeeeppp do they think they are??? and please make other liveries aware! or right a review on there website/facebook page to highlight this as i wouldn't want it happening to anyone else!

There is too many what if's in my head! for example: you could have given him some when the farrier came up as he maybe hard to shoe (not implying he is BTW) but then he would be overdosed as they didn't tell you!! and i don't think you can get drugs prescribed to horses that weren't in your name? i would be livid (i am) - i would personally take legal action as it could have been alot worse!

Good luck and hope you get it sorted soon! xxx