Would you breed from this mare ?

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
Bit of a long story but basically have bought this mare as a bit of a problem child - think it is past expiriences.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=459877&id=800455152&l=bb0e3390aa

She is the first five pics in this album

She is 16hh 7yo and as fair as I have been able to discover has never foaled before

She is by City Honours out of Luso Dream (by luso)

She is calm and unspooky on the ground but is feisty and unpredictable when ridden (not sure how far I will be able to work with her and whether I can improve her).

Talking to people around me - they have said whether its fair to her to push the ridden side of things when she seems so unhappy at present (saddle,back,feet,teeth all checked and in good condition). She is an absolute angel on the ground . II have never bred before so I am going at this blind as such and am willing to take any comments on board as I need to do right by this little mare

sdoherty

Visit site
if her behaviour on the ground is good then i wouldnt be put of breeding with her by what she is like under saddle,foals do pick up habits but they wont see what shes like being ridden.if shes thoroughbred then maybe she raced and thats where the sharpness comes from.if her pedigree is good enough and you know what market you want to breed for then go for it,but make sure you pick a stallion that will give you a saleable foal!

ischa

Visit site
There are several things you really need to think about
(1) what would you be breeding the foal for (to sell or to keep for yourself )
(2) if it's for yourself , and you say your keeping for a permanent home
How can you guarantee it's going to be for life
Lets say you lose your job , how will you beable to support that horse
Will you have to sell !!!??
(3) Breeding vet fees (would you beable to afford these )
(4) training would you beable to pay for this or are you exerienced enough to do this
I'm sorry to sound negative
I say this because i see a lot of personal breeders aswell as high rated studs
That can not sell what they got a the moment ,
But insist I'n breeding every year
Alot of people that say yer it's for personal use and it will be for a permanent home
But a year or so down the line , will have to sell because they've lost there job etc
In today climate i say no because if you needed to sell you wouldn't
Because there are so many higher studs and personal breeders out there that can't get rid of high quality horses and normal bred horses ,that's why there is so many unwanted horses
If anything put her out on full loan for a companion
Failing that get someone I'n to help with her issues

Last edited:

paddi22

Visit site
would agree with the other poster. she's a nice mare but nothing spectacular, you could buy plenty of cracking youngsters that are bred already. why breed for her if you are unexperienced and unsure. there are so many extra horses around, why add to it? especially when there are so many decent horses going for cheap.

i have one of her brothers i think, rambo honours, and he is an absolute pet on the ground but he can be feisty under saddle too. his issues stopped once he was brought back to basics and restarted really gently. when everything is done in baby steps and he gets confidence slowly he is fine. if he is overfaced at all he naps and rears and falls to bits.

i wouldn't write her off as a riding horse, people had said my lad was just a difficult horse, but he honestly isn't with the right handling.

what do you mean be feisty? what kind of behaviour

amy_b

Visit site
I have a mare which was started (then carried on) very badly, I persevered (sp?) with her for nearly three years as she had competed at 1* in Germany but every time you turned to go down the centre line her head would fly up and i would spend the test looking at her face!!
We put her in foal because she is well bred, very good conf, and a total sweetie on the ground, and in every other aspect of riding she was fine, if a little sharp but she is TB.
Anyway she has bred us a stunning foal last year and we are waiting for this years now,they are both to keep and when I sell her at weaning this year I will probably sell her as a broodmare because I cant imagine anyone giving her a good home as a riding horse.
I suppose the thing you have to avoid is breeding an average foal from an average mare to sell for a less than average price to a less than average home!!

the watcher

Visit site
there is something about the way she holds herself at rest that i don't like, particularly the back legs (her stance suggests hock pain) so I would be having another very good look at the legs and feet before making any decisions as to her future

classicalfan

Visit site
Simple answer is no. There are so many so-so horses out there looking for good homes. If she hasn't got great bloodlines then a foal will not be easy to sell and you will not, in all probability, recoup your costs. With stud fees, vet bills, etc, etc, you're probably looking at between £2,000 to £4000 in costs.