would you buy a 16 year old?

Squiggles on Paper

Visit site
thinking about going to try a horse but debating whether it's worth it or not as not sure if he's too old. he is a 16yr old grade A competing up to 1.45. so obviously there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his jumping now but i'm wondering in two years he would probably have to step down and i know if in the future we had to sell him it would be hard to.

what do you think? thanks :rolleyes:

tinap

Visit site
If you're wanting an experienced horse then age wouldn't put me off at all. Of course I'd have a 5* vetting & would then be realistic about things that would crop up on the vetting (which at that age probably will). I sold a 15yr old SJ schoolmaster pony last year & although he had something slight crop up on a vetting, the then buyer refused to touch anything that had a single thing come up on vetting, whereas the home he eventually went to were realistic enough to way up his experience, record & his then current form with the small issue. He's performing as well as ever with them over a year later, still winning & teaching the kid loads x

Fides

Visit site
My experience...

I took on an 18yo ex-grade A who had been competing internationally for pottering around on and some low level stuff. He last competed at 14 and seemed fit and well. We had only had him for about 8 weeks and he had a heart attack and died :( My old TB was competing up to intermediate eventing at 21, did his last pre-novice at 25 and retired at 27. You could get many good years, you could get a few weeks - it all depends what risk you are willing to take - a horse competing at that level will have high milage but it is still a gamble like with all.

Go for it though! The experience of sitting on something with that class I will never forget!

slumdog

Visit site
Defiantly! He's only middle aged :p I bought a 20 year old grade A and he's turned into my horse of a lifetime! I adore him and he's taught me loads. I had the vet out to give him a lameness and flexion test on Friday as I was considering hock injections but he passed with flying colours so the vet said it's not something I need to consider yet. He's competing at 1.10 and schooling round 1.20 (he's brilliant, jockey isn't lol) he does take a bit longer to warm up and I make sure I cool him down but he's the best horse I've ever ridden :)

measles

Visit site
Without a second thought. We bought our elder son a 15yo Grade A when he was a tall 14 and he have him invaluable experience. We sold him to do the same again aged 17.

Younger son had 4f today at the pony of the year show on a 24yo 13.2 Grade A who we bought turning 16. She is a superstar and will never leave us as we owe her too much.

Go for it!

PorkChop

Visit site
I agree that you will learn a huge amount from a horse with that experience. Be realistic with the vetting, what a great opportunity.

slumdog

Visit site
I will say though one thing I've learnt, "experienced grade A" does not mean schoolmaster! Mine can be a right naughty sod and still throws a buck in even at 20! Of course at his age he's 'cute' and not naughty! Haha :D

Rollin

Visit site
My first horse was 15 when I bought him un-vetted!! Now 35 years young, still working and has never given me a vet bill. BUT I bought him for ride and drive so he has never been competed and subjected to that sort of wear and tear.

Fides

Visit site
I will say though one thing I've learnt, "experienced grade A" does not mean schoolmaster!

Tell that to my work colleague who has been riding a year and has suddenly come into money and has a £10k horsey budget...