Would you buy a 6yrs old working at PSG level ?

BBH

Visit site
Was looking at a dressage riders horses for sale and saw a chestnut horse as above. Personally I would worry about a horse this age doing such work, what happens to their ' baby years'. I would also be worried about its future in terms of a, soundness and b, trainability if it becomes stale and bored by doing too much too soon.

It maybe that he goes out and does other things and I stand corrected but what do others think ?

I know as a professional its all about the production line of buying , producing and selling on but not sure I would spend loads of money on a horse I perceived on the surface to have done a fair bit of strenuous work.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I tend to agree with you. Things should be done at the speed the horse can cope with, mentally and physically. Look how many showjumpers go right off the job. Dressage horses seem to attract a ludicrously high premium - £15K for a 4 year old with x points is nothing it seems. But as you say, PSG means they can add a couple more noughts to the price. Animals are not machines.

black_horse

Visit site
money isnt all...thought my horse was worth £40k as a 3 year old because thats what someone offered me, and £60k as a 5 year old cause thats another offer i got....horses are only worth what someone will pay for them...delicia is priceless because she will never be sold.

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
I personally wouldn't touch it - too much stress on legs in too short a space of time.
crazy.gif

black_horse

Visit site
bones and joints arent developed until they are 8-9 years of age....i would be concerned to the methods used as to how long before the horse breaks down, either mentally or physically....is it doing PSG or working PSG, cause some people have overflated views of their horses abilities.

BBH

Visit site
Yes thats my feeling aswell. I remember being at a Brightwells auction and in came a four year old doing GP movements and the audience went wow, he achieved top price that night and have never heard or seen of him again.
frown.gif

mik

Visit site
all rather round in front no? Or is that just my viewpoint, I like my babies in front of the vertical.

nokia

Visit site
That will be mega expensive !! Wow i wouldnt be able to buy it ...how much do you think it will be 4 sale for.

Silverspring

Visit site
Competing at PSG or able to perfrom the require PSG movements? It's one thing for a horse to have been show piaffe and piroutte it's another thing for it to be competing PSG. You usually train a horse one stage above the level you compete so you would be training for Ele while competing Novice, if you were competing PSG you would be aiming for training at Int 1 level which IMO is WAY to big an ask for a 6yo. Wouldn't have a problem with it just touching on PSG as part of his eductaion. Does that make sense?

BBH

Visit site
Yes I agree, touching on the movements is different to competing at that level. The only thing to say is that the add profiles his piaffe and passage as a USP and would imagine it has been trained well enough to show it off successfully to potential buyers.

somethingorother

Visit site
In agree, a lot of them look behind the vertical. Also agree that a youngster being asked that much of is likely to breakdown mentally or physically rather early. There's a reason the SRS don't start their horses on high level movements until they are about 8. I would have thought such an experienced trainer would have done the same.

Who would buy a 4yr old that could already do it all? I would find it a bit boring. If i got a 4y/o i would be doing it to have a cleaner slate and put the work in myself. If i wanted a been there done that type i would be looking at 8y/o +

Makes me sad. Wonder how early he was started to be at that standard by now. Can't have had much of a life as a baby...

Edited because i'm a numpty, it's 6 not 4 lol! Still quite young to be doing that though. I agree touching on the movements now and again is probably not a problem... but from the advert wording i would assume him to be doing them regularly and to a good standard, or else why mention it?

hostess99

Visit site
I think its really sad when you read adverts like that. Can you imagine how intensivly that poor young horse has worked to get to that level Its such a shame I used to work for a well known dressage rider and time and time again these poor youngsters break down. Potential top class horses end up on the scrap heap because nobody has the patience to produce then slowly and in my eyes correctly.

Quadro

Visit site
although i have sj'ers and nothing to do with dressage i would stay away as i find that the horses that win 4/5 year old classes are often produced to quickly and become stale, as has been said above the horses that win these classes quite often are never heard from again

BBH

Visit site
It can almost seem like a race to sell them for big money before they break down, and to get big money people want to see all the moves so to speak. It happens all over with professional riders because they have a living to make.

BBH

Visit site
Yes I have seen that, I often wonder how Laura Renwicks stay sound as they have a fair bit of mileage on them.

Dutch

spaces.msn.com
Hi

It is suspicious for a 6 year old to be PSG level. Most horses wouldn't be muscled up enough. It sounds like the horse might know the movements but I wonder how through it would be.

I think horses need time to develop, physically and mentally, hence the reason there is a minimum age for horses competing at Grand Prix level.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
'training' at PSG is very different from competing at PSG. I can understand why they have positioned the ad this way. It looks and sounds impressive.

In reality the horse has probably just started some of the movements and performed them well to date - he is probably no way near PSG level. He does not look muscled enough anyway.

In fact if you look at their other horses, they describe an 8 yr old as 'ready for PSG' this IMO is very different.

lexiedhb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
'training' at PSG is very different from competing at PSG. I can understand why they have positioned the ad this way. It looks and sounds impressive.

In reality the horse has probably just started some of the movements and performed them well to date - he is probably no way near PSG level. He does not look muscled enough anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!!!

Silverspring

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

In fact if you look at their other horses, they describe an 8 yr old as 'ready for PSG' this IMO is very different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I said!

mik

Visit site
There are so many young 'amazing' horses for sale and are never heard of again. Where are they all now?

Erehwemos

Visit site
QR
Would I buy any 6yr old 'working at PSG level'? No, not without serious consideration.
Would I buy this one? Yes! I see nothing wrong with the advert or the horse - he isnt competing at PSG, he's just already working on some of the movements. I'm not a stressage person really, but I would equivalate it to a 6 year old SJer - I wouldnt buy one which is advertised to be consistently jumping 1.40 tracks....but I may well buy it if it had 'jumped 1.40 with ease at home'. If you get my drift!
wink.gif

SJers, IMO, are in general taken through the ranks far too quickly. I remember going to Scope with my instructor and his lovely Voltaire baby for the 4 yr old championships - the horse was a stunner, but he didnt get anywhere because he wasnt fast enough, he gave the fences too much air and he didnt go round with his chin attached to his chest. The horses who made the final line up didnt look like four year olds at all
frown.gif
We then watched the five year old championship, and I was horrified at how these babies were being hurtled around the course - five year olds should never be speed horses
frown.gif
Sadly I think the Fox and Newcomers championships are going the same way....how many of the 'top' Foxhunter horses go on to be superstars? Not many....Opportunity B is about the only one I think who has had the kind of career that was predicted for her after her win.

Oh dear, I've gone off on a tangent!!!
blush.gif
But back to the OP, yes - I would buy Wizzard if I had silly money to spend
grin.gif