Would you buy a field near cherry trees?

Marigold4

Visit site
I posted earlier about oak trees - and thanks very much for your reassurances. Now I've had the other field boundary checked out and there are some cherry trees nearby. I've checked online and the leaves of cherry trees are very poisonous when wilting - say on a fallen branch - and the cherry stones are toxic too - even if cherry stones don't actually fall there, birds can leave them around.

Any experiences of horses and cherry trees please? Is this a big problem?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Cherry trees are fine. DP had one in his German paddock and regularly stripped the leaves and the mares field also had one side lined with them without issue. If you make sure the branches are maintained and any loose ones cut before they fall it won’t be a problem.

Marigold4

Visit site
Cherry trees are fine. DP had one in his German paddock and regularly stripped the leaves and the mares field also had one side lined with them without issue. If you make sure the branches are maintained and any loose ones cut before they fall it won’t be a problem.

Thanks for replying - that's reassuring

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I posted earlier about oak trees - and thanks very much for your reassurances. Now I've had the other field boundary checked out and there are some cherry trees nearby. I've checked online and the leaves of cherry trees are very poisonous when wilting - say on a fallen branch - and the cherry stones are toxic too - even if cherry stones don't actually fall there, birds can leave them around.

Any experiences of horses and cherry trees please? Is this a big problem?
our neighbour has a young tree and we have a large one, and horses chew bark but no other issue.