Would you buy a field near oak trees?

vhf

Visit site
Well, oak trees are listed as a poisonous tree for horses so I think I'm doing the sensible thing checking this out before I pour my life savings into the field .
Many years ago we lost 2 and permanently retired 1 due to oak poisoning, so you are sensible to consider it. At the time the vets were fairly flummoxed. They did some consulting and apparently the New Forest vets were familiar with something similar. The three affected were a distinct subset of over 20 on the property, most having access to oak trees.
To me now, it sounds very like the atypical equine myopathy you get with sycamores; and it was leaves and not acorns, in autumn, that did it. (Gut contents + ?tannin? staining of membranes). Those fields are just fenced off in the autumn now, as everyone says above. I wouldn't discount land on the strength of that experience, horrendous as it was, but I'd exercise care. They are a beautiful native tree and deserve enjoying.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
The acorn wheelie thing is great! Would it pick up leaves as well or just acorns/nuts?
i just used it for the acorns luckily we rest the acorn area for the ponies as we strip graze so by the time they come down the squirrels have eaten most.
Back field they only on one side so we just let it be and by the time they move again there is less but they do eat some.

HashRouge

Visit site
But oak trees are tons nicer than Plane trees.

(I shouldn't say it but I think that acorn picker-upperer looks far harder to use than a rake for picking up acorns.)
Considering we're talking about old, established trees that none of us planted, it's a bit irrelevant what is nicer! But I really like this London Plane Tree, it's beautiful in summer with all its leaves.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
We have a couple of huge, beautiful oaks on the land we rent. Never had an issue with them at all...yhough I now feel I need a nut wheelie thingy just because it looks fun ???