Would you buy a field...

cowgirl16

Visit site
I now keep my ned on a track livery yard, with a campsite next door. There is a dry stone wall boundary, and electric fencing about a metre inside of that. A few trees, but no hedges. The site is very quiet, clean and tidy. Obviously, only used for a few months of the year. To the best of my knowledge, there has never been any problems. I've been on a few campsites in my lifetime, and all were very well run, clean and well organised. As another poster mentioned, provided it is a campsite, and not the other kind, I wouldn't have thought you'd have any problems. I'd bite someone's arm off to be able to buy my own land - campsite or no campsite!

L&M

Visit site
Just wanted to add keeping horses to going to become harder and harder as the years pass if you get a chance to own where keep you them go for it .

Totally agree- land is of such a premium that anything available should be considered if you want to own your own land. There are compromises with everything.....

We recently bought a paddock that has some sycamore down one side. Although not ideal we are slowly taking them down and this spring spent several hours collecting saplings by hand and mower, and which no doubt will be a yearly chore - but once they have been cleared the field is ideal for what we need. Also the top end of the paddock has no sycamore, so we do have a safe area to graze.

It borders onto a cycle path - we are lucky to have inherited a good deep hedge, and have also put up high netting and barbed wire, and touch wood so far have had no issue with rubbish/disturbance.

To us, owning our own land guarantees a home for our horses for life, never having to be dependant on renting, and being able to manage the land as we like. Paddocks like this, even in more rural mid wales where we live, are like hens teeth and count ourselves very lucky that it became available.

So I would certainly give it careful consideration.

Last edited:

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I expect that the campsite is empty for much of the year.

The same rules regarding fencing should apply to campsite owners as to livestock owners.

You are supposed to have fencing that will prevent your livestock from straying out of your field, and you are liable for damage caused by your livestock if they get out. Campsite owners should also be liable for damage caused by their campers who get past the barbed wire fences and searchlights.

Suechoccy

Visit site
Yes I would, no doubts whatsoever. A tall hedge and good stout fencing will give you privacy, and while the hedge is growing your horses have fantastic amusement in their "television" next door in watching the campers too so they'll be used to cars, children, flappy blowing tents, footballs. Fabulous education. I love to see horses when I'm on holiday. A few well-placed nice notices about not feeding the horses will work well too. Good luck with your purchase if you go ahead. Having your own land is much less stressful than being at mercy of livery yards closing, and although you have to factor in time/cost of field maintenance, you'll be watching your horses and learning about their characters and behaviour while you're doing those jobs, and it's all rather lovely.