Would you buy a horse that windsucks?

aoibhinn98

Visit site
As the title suggests really, went to see a very sweet 12 year old mare, comfortable over 1.10m fences and has lovely flatwork., with everything done. Asking price around €3000. However, she windsucks. Although not chronically as apparently she does not do it in the field and only occasionally in the stable. Would this put you off buying?

HaleysComet

New User
Visit site
If the horses was everything else I was looking for then yes. My friend bought a horse who was a known wind sucker but again only in the stable and he was her horse of a lifetime. This horse was the one who made her name in the show jumping world and never failed to come home in the top 3! Yes havin a wind sucker does have some risks and is a vice but if you’re prepared to look past it as at the end of the day the horse does sound really good. You need to be honest with yourself if you wants to buy the same calibre of horse but without the wind sucking would you be able to afford the horse? However, I would make sure I got the horse vetted and let the vet know hey wind suck just to check everything is ok and the vet is happy.

be positive

Visit site
Windsucking would put me off more than cribbing as they can do it without taking hold of anything and that makes any attempt at prevention by using electric fence etc no help at all, I would never take the sellers word as to how bad it is, their idea of only occasionally may not be the same as mine so I would want to observe her if possible.

As for whether to buy it depends on whether she is a long term horse that will suit you in every way, if she ticked every other box and passed a vet then possibly, I would get her scoped as soon as possible and or treat her as if she has ulcers as it may stop if she has the right diet and management.

Floofball

Visit site
No (answering the thread title question) it usually has an underlying cause initially then if it is ingrained can lead to gastric/colic/dental issues - also the noise and managing damage to surroundings. Sometimes yards see it as a vice and don’t take horses on that do it.

stormox

Visit site
No. Until i had one i thought as long as it does the job I could forgive cribbing or windsucking. But when a youngster of mine started while at livery I was absolutely driven mad by the noise and had to sell him. Also he kept getting slightly colicy episodes which may or may not have been connected.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
As the title suggests really, went to see a very sweet 12 year old mare, comfortable over 1.10m fences and has lovely flatwork., with everything done. Asking price around €3000. However, she windsucks. Although not chronically as apparently she does not do it in the field and only occasionally in the stable. Would this put you off buying?

all horses up for sale who crib/windsuck only do it occasionally and never in the field-until you get them home. Personally I would not-even though I now have my own place as the noise drives me mad and I myself have never met one that 'only does it occasionally'. In my experience, they do it all the time.

If you are at livery I'd think very carefully-they can be difficult to place.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
no. its the one vice i hate and would never buy a horse that did it. you may find that a talented horse that has this vice could be priced low enough for people who dont have a huge budget. i would rather buy a less talented horse with no known vices...

aoibhinn98

Visit site
I have got my own yard to keep the horse so would not be an issue with livery yards not taking her etc. Does anyone know if there is any research linking windsucking to physical issues in animals, I'm not very familiar with it myself to be honest I haven't even ever seen a horse doing it before. This mare is worth nearly double the asking price without the vice so it must be an issue for a lot of people looking to buy

claracanter

Visit site
I have a TB who windsucks and cribs. Although I love him to bits I don't think I would buy one knowing it did it too. Livery owners are very often put off by this vice and I'd hate to have a horse that I couldn't find a yard for unless I had my own place.Having said that though, if it was perfect in every other way I might buy it as atlas I know how to deal with them!
I agree with the other poster who said they all only do it at meal times and never in the field when they are for sale!

stormox

Visit site
I have got my own yard to keep the horse so would not be an issue with livery yards not taking her etc. Does anyone know if there is any research linking windsucking to physical issues in animals, I'm not very familiar with it myself to be honest I haven't even ever seen a horse doing it before. This mare is worth nearly double the asking price without the vice so it must be an issue for a lot of people looking to buy

If you ever wanted to sell her on again it might prove difficult. As regards health issues, possible ulcers or gaseous colic (though its chicken and egg- does cribbing cause them or do they cause cribbing), wear on teeth if she catches hold of things, possibility of other horses copying it (some people say they can copy it, others say they dont), and an exceedingly annoying noise...

HashRouge

Visit site
I wouldn't. One of ours crib bites and although we have sussed our management now, we've had a lot of issues along the way including colic episodes and ulcers.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

Because it's like living with an addict

ihatework

Visit site
Probably not. But the older I get, the more I appreciate a really good horse, and the more lenient I am in accepting the ‘buts’ to get the right horse under saddle.
The problem with windsucking is I’m reliant on livery and it’s always a bit taboo

aoibhinn98

Visit site
Many thanks everyone for the replies. Definitely some things to think about. I would more than likely be looking to sell again in 2/3 years so may be more of an issue then. My instructor knows the horse and I also know the woman selling so I would be inclined to believe when she says that the windsucking is not excessive. I also viewed the horse in the stable for 20 minutes when trying her and she did not attempt to do it. However I don't know if I could stick the horrible noise that everyone says comes with it, might drive me mad ��

Casey76

Visit site
I wouldn’t, but mainly because the noise drives me to distraction.

We have 2 on the yard who crib at the moment, one of which is very bad. He was tied up outside while his box was being mucked out, and he was cribbing on his lead rope every 5 seconds for the full 20 mins it took me to finish my jobs. I had mentally battered him by the time I was finished.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My horse is a horrific wind sucker and cribber.
I was his groom for a few years before having him as my own and it was a huge shock to get him home and find out how incredibly destructive he can be!
His old yard had brick stables and electric over all the post and rail fencing so he just didn't do it there.
I've got used to it. The noise doesn't bother me. I find weaving a lot more annoying!
It bothers other people a lot! (This irritates the hell out of me!) I always see people trying to shoo him off the fencing whereas I let him get on with it. (Kept at home)
I protect what I need to, have never had any issues with weight loss or colic.
I was unable to find a livery yard place for him that I liked years ago though, also now he's retired I'd quite like to find a big field of similar horses to turn him out in but I have to mention the fact he has this vice and most places won't have him.

Sallyfinn

Visit site
Yes, I had one. It improved a lot after scoping and treatment for ulcers but never completely went away. Sweet itch on the other hand would be an absolute no from me, even if you were giving me valegro for free!

MDB

Visit site
One of mine windsucks. I think it can also be a behavioural or self soothing habit as well. She came to me in bad condition and windsucked requently. She does it much less nowadays. She has never colicked or showed any signs of ulcers, and has always been in good health. I don't think it would put me off at all unless the horse showed other signs of issues.

Chuckieee

Visit site
I really want to say yes but I did it and the poor horse was a nightmare. Livery yards were very funny with us and often insisted on the horse wearing very tight cribbing collars. Other liveries were less than understanding and frequently unpleasant about it.

I thInk it was a contributing factor to ulcers and bad behaviour.

All sellers will say that they don’t do it very often but I’ve yet to see a horse that fits this description because under stress, yard moves, new horses, new people, muck heap removals, feed times etc you’ll notice it becomes quite pronounced.

So whilst with all the will in the well I want to say that it wouldn’t put me off, IT WOULD and I say this speaking from experience.

VRIN

Visit site
Definitely no! And if you are looking to sell on ... by the comments above you will find it difficult to find a buyer.. I am guessing it would fail the vet???

be positive

Visit site
Definitely no! And if you are looking to sell on ... by the comments above you will find it difficult to find a buyer.. I am guessing it would fail the vet???

There is no reason why it would fail a vetting, unless it is showing related issues such as damaged teeth in the case of a cribber, as long as the purchaser is aware of the vice before vetting they have already accepted it, much the same as a scar or conformation defect that is declared if it does not effect the purpose and not causing an issue at the vetting it should not fail, it will need to be declared to insurance companies and may mean exclusions.

VRIN

Visit site
There is no reason why it would fail a vetting, unless it is showing related issues such as damaged teeth in the case of a cribber, as long as the purchaser is aware of the vice before vetting they have already accepted it, much the same as a scar or conformation defect that is declared if it does not effect the purpose and not causing an issue at the vetting it should not fail, it will need to be declared to insurance companies and may mean exclusions.
Good to know

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I viewed a lovely little Welsh D mare backalong when I was looking, she was very well papered and I liked her and was discussing vetting with the owner on return to the yard, when.......... she windsucked!!! Seller had kept schtum about it till then, but could hardly deny it!

I walked away, I have my own yard and didn't want something knawing and chewing at my stable doors; plus my understanding (on talking to my own vet) is that the vice can pre-dispose horses to ulcers.

Nope! I walked away and didn't look back.

aoibhinn98

Visit site
Definitely looking like it would be difficult to find a buyer for her again judging by the comments so I had better keep looking. Thanks very much everyone!

BOWS28

Visit site
My horse has always windsucked. She used to showjump to a high level, and got very stressed being kept on a competitive yard.
The vet has checked her over more than once and is certain she is as fit and healthy as a 5 year old! (she is 20)
I can honestly say, hand on heart she only does it on her stable door! I use a door chain during the day so she will only ever do it for a couple of minutes once I've shut her door in the evening. Once all the lights are off and its quiet she doesn't do it either...
I wouldn't let it stop you buying, if you feel the horse is perfect for you! my girl is the best thing that has ever happened to me, and has made me into 10X the rider I was before I got her! It is manageable, and if you can do as much as you can to prevent it, you'll be fine!!
They will often do it after they've been fed treats or their hard feed.
Hope this helps :)