Would you buy a horse un vetted?

Mule

Visit site
I haven't vetted and things have turned out fine. But all the horses that me or my family have bought were cheap. The current one was born in a rescue centre so other than the donation I gave he was free.

Having seen a problem that someone I know has had (an injury concealed by its former owner) I will vet the next time. Particularly as mine are like pets to me so I would spend a lot in treatment rather than cut my losses and pts. If money was tight I would definitely get it vetted. It's too much of a risk if there's a problem.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I am not a great fan of vetting for lots of different reasons - which aren't really relevant here. But as many others have said my choice to rarely vet has never been a financial one.

I would be brutally realistic withy yourself about the running costs of a horse including the unexpected extras. There are so many of them that trhey will almost certainly crop up. And make sure you don't over-strecth yourself as there is nothing more stressful than robbing Peter to pay Paul because your horse needs x,y,z and you can't really afford it.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The only horse I haven't vetted was Granny horse, but she was only costing me £500 and I'd already had her on loan for over a year.

On the one hand vetting is a snapshot and doesn't guarantee long term health on the other hand it's a set of hopefully experienced eyes on the horse and can show up underlying problems you hadn't or couldn't see. Personally I believe it is a useful thing.

The other thing to consider (and take this from someone who has been penny pinching and worrying for over 6 months now) is that horse ownership more often than not requires you to be able to throw up unplanned 300 quids relatively frequently... it is stressful if you can't! Don't so over stretch yourself buying the horse that you then have no emergency fund left for when the darn thing runs through a fence the first week home! But I still think it is false economy to skip the vetting.

AandK

Visit site
I haven’t (but haven’t bought a horse for 16yrs!) both of mine were vetted, one failed, one didn’t, guess which one had to retire age 12..
For a cheap horse (about 1k ish) I wouldn’t, but if spending upwards of 2k I would, unless I knew the horse. £300 really isn’t a lot in the grand scheme of owning a horse, and if you can’t afford it now, you need to look at finances in future for this horse. Vet bills can rise very quickly, and come out of the blue!
In your shoes OP, I’d either ask for some money off the horse (assuming you haven’t already) or walk away, and either save a bit more so your budget will allow a vetting, or look at lower priced horses.

Equi

Visit site
Not in that situation. A friend recently had a horse on trial, thus vetted. Horse was a few k, failed vetting within one glance from the vet (didn't even bother continuing after vet literally looked at it) despite the horse being and looking perfect, vet found an issue that would be very deadly and expensive to fix if fixable.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Not in that situation. A friend recently had a horse on trial, thus vetted. Horse was a few k, failed vetting within one glance from the vet (didn't even bother continuing after vet literally looked at it) despite the horse being and looking perfect, vet found an issue that would be very deadly and expensive to fix if fixable.

Ok I'm very curious... what did the vet see?

nikkimariet

Visit site
I bought both of mine unvetted.

One as a nearly 8yo cheap exracer the other as an unbroken 2yo WB (he was very expensive for me but in the grand scheme of things not expensive).

If I was spending serious money or buying some sort of schoolmaster I would have a vetting done.

mcnaughty

Visit site
Depends on how much you pay and how old it is IMO. I didn't have the two babies I bought vetted at all but the two older and more expensive ponies I had 5 stage done on. However, quite frankly I don't think it makes much difference really. I know people who have bought young horses, had them 5 stage vetted and then a year later got chronic issues with arthritis in various joints, cripped and had to be shot!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
After having seen many vettings of 2 and 5 stage, I can honestly say I wouldn't bother with a full 5 stage using certain vets and some I would insist upon it as they are so thorough! They vary so much. I have always vetted for long term horses, for youngsters just backed etc I don't tend to, I judge for myself and cross my fingers; so far so good but I'm used to the risk and stress, would not recommend to anyone else. Having sold a small number of horses, I encourage vetting to people who buy as it gives me peace of mind as a seller that the horse has passed a proffessional second opinion, so I think it's worth that to the buyer. Apologies if that's not written too well! long day.

whizzer

Visit site
I did have my last one vetted,2 stage as was unbacked at the time. ‘Flew’ through the vetting. Backing attempts after purchase didn’t go well,horse was subsequently found to be lame in front,have kissing spines,to be not right behind-but nobody could pinpoint exactly what was not right behind,oh & also had potentially serious uv allergy which was not picked up on! Horse now written off after spending vast amounts of time & money trying to make it right.

Sophire

Visit site
I don't vet but I buy very cheap horses (less than £1k) and just take a punt. If you've over stretched yourself to buy this one I'd feel a bit nervous about not vetting.. . It would have a big financial impact if you found a significant problem.

This!
One of them is insured and due to purchase amount and what she is insured for it has still worked out OK.
ETA - anything over my £1k that I've spent on each horse, I'd get vetted. Even just 2*

Charla

Visit site
Only horse I ever had vetted was the only horse I ever had medical issues with, yet nothing was picked up on vetting.

I have never had a vetting on anything else through choice - but they have all been unbroken youngsters for not a huge amount of money. And never have i had any issues with any of them.

Two friends have had 5 stage vettings on expensive competition horses, passed with nothing picked up, both turned out to be 'broken' horses not long afterwards and ended up spending thousands on vet bills.

Two horses I have sold failed on flexion tests on vettings on one leg. One is now out competing advanced medium and has never had a single days lameness or ever one issue in life. The other is now out winning regionals at Novice level and again, never one problem.

Lastly, a friend bought a youngster and asked for a vetting, the vet refused and said from just looking at him, he will not pass him as his conformation is too poor. She bought him anyway and he went out to win foxhunters on a regular basis and is still sound as a pound now at 24 years old.

I've been put off.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
After months of searching I have finally found a lovely horse. However he is slightly over my budget which hasn’t left me anything for a vetting. Would/have you brought a horse un-vetted before? Horse is under 5k and to be an allrounder.

I would offer price less cost of vetting as its definitely a buyers market, I would always have horse vetted as otherwise insurers wont insure, I would always attend vetting myself as its such a great opportunity to test how the horse lunges, responds to vet, etc etc, I know if Id attended a horse purchased couple of years ago I would never have bought him!! but recently attended another horse purchased & served to re-enforce what a great natured pony we were buying - good luck.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Ive never vetted any of mine but then apart from one we had on loan for a year before buying him all our others have been no more than £1600 and we just liked the way they moved.

One of ours wouldnt have passed a vet but we took a chance that six months of hacking and strengthing up and down hills would sort it and it did