Would you Buy a horse with Shivers?

ApolloStorm

Visit site
As title mainly, A friend has spotted a horse she'd like to view, however states in advert "mild shiver, does not affect way of going" Horse is priced accordingly. But from the little I know about it its chronic and incurable. I have heard it be managed by diet, but I don't know if it would be something you'd refuse to buy a horse for? Would you bother going to see? Horse would be vetting and obviously this would come up.

be positive

Visit site
No. It may not affect way of going now but it is a progressive illness. It won't pass a vetting.

This, it may not affect it's way of going for now but will be picked up at a vetting so why bother starting the process when there are plenty of horses without a progressive unsoundness, diet may help but you will not know until you get it home.

MrsMurs

Visit site
Tricky one, and also lots to consider.
A friend of mine lost her horse last year, he was 18. She bought him with a mild shiver when he was 9, and was always considerate of the challenges this condition brought and she bought him purely to lightly hack out as it he was perfectly sound back then - I think I've read that exercise can actually help a shiver!. She also had a very patient farrier. Towards his later years she retired him, trimming became very difficult, he struggled terribly to get up and down. There were various other issues going on, but undoubtedly the shiver played a part in his discomfort and living with any quality, and ultimately, in her making the heart breaking decision.
Having said that, she had many wonderful years with him. She also had no intention of ever selling him on. Nor did she insure him.
I'm no expert, but my understanding of a 'Shiver' is that it's 'progressive', which to me means it will over time worsen - please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
If it was me, I wouldn't discount a horse with a shiver, but I would consider what you want to do with him/her, and have a chat with your vet.
Good luck

Last edited:

Frumpoon

Visit site
Yes and have done! My fittest, soundest and sweetest horse has a shiver and still jumps 1m plus, manages flying changes, turns on a sixpence, leg yields, pirouettes etc

Oh and is 22 going on 23

oldie48

Visit site
Yes and have done! My fittest, soundest and sweetest horse has a shiver and still jumps 1m plus, manages flying changes, turns on a sixpence, leg yields, pirouettes etc

Oh and is 22 going on 23

That's great and I am very pleased for you, but it's a gamble! a bit like buying a horse with sarcoids, sometimes it turns out fine but sometimes it doesn't and when you buy you don't know the outcome.

ApolloStorm

Visit site
Thank you all for input. Horse is currently doing BE80 having moved up to 90 for the last 2 runs of the season and is 6yo. Is priced at about 2k less than what I would say was market value.

Frumpoon

Visit site
Actually I stand corrected, Ives just looked it up and my horse has a wobble and not a shiver. She was advertised with a shiver though so it is probably that most people (myself included until 2 seconds ago) don't understand the difference between a wobble and a shiver

vallin

Visit site
No, not in a million years, especially for a competition horse. It is a progressive disease and will only get worse so whilst she may save ££ she'll spend far more in the long run and won't be able to get the horse insured for anything useful.

4faults

Visit site
I would view and go in with eyes wide open.
I have known several and owned two, one mild and one much worse. Didn't affect either horses way of going and always managed to shoe them with patience and a decent farrier.
One of mine showjumped up to 1.30 and did advanced medium dressage and the other is now a PSG horse. Shiver has not progressed any further in either one of them. Also a horse I worked with who won HOYS heavyweight working hunter had a pretty severe shiver that never affected him.

TGM

Visit site
We bought one 7 years ago and he has been fantastic, competing very successfully at BE Novice as well as hunting and doing all PC activities. But my husband is a farrier so knew what he was taking on and also he is aware of how many shiverers there out there doing their jobs successfully.