Would you buy a horse

SillyMare

Visit site
No.

Have watched one of those being edited together - the person selling deleted a big section where it threw it's toys out of the pram totally. Even without editing, videos can be recorded over and over again until the horse goes well for the duration.

Plus I think gut instict plays a big part when buying a horse - unless you have seen it in the flesh and the way it interacts with its riders on and off the ground, it is difficult to get much insight.

dieseldog

Visit site
It would help me to decide whether to go see it, but I couldn't buy a horse with trying it. Although if it is a unbroken youngster It would be OK

SillyMare

Visit site
... of couse that is not to say I don't think DVDs are valuable - can get a much better idea of what the horse is like before wasting time actually going to see it.

Wouldn't buy a horse based on a DVD but I would certainly eliminate one.

marmite

Visit site
No never im one of theese people who never trusts anyone selling a horse when i go to view i turn up early to make sure they are not lunging it or anything,i ask for the arena gate to be left open,ask for fillers when jumping and if they say they dont have any i take everyones coats off them and drape them over the jump.

People will go to any length to sell a horse if they have to trust nobody see it with your own eyes.

KarenX

Visit site
No, I dont think so... unless it was recommended or thru a friend. We have however sold a pony over the phone with just an emailed photo of it. They didnt even have him vetted! He went on to qualify for hoys though so he was a good buy!

Karen
smile.gif

katelarge

Visit site
I wouldn't but I know someone who did import a youngster (backed though) unseen. It was very weird to hear her say "the first time I saw him was when he came off the lorry"! The horse is actually a total star and has had his pic in H&H for his dressage wins, so it worked out fine! However, these are a very experienced dressage family and they might well know the stud the horse came from, as another friend of mine has a mare of similar breeding, so perhaps it wasn't such a stab in the dark.

Usually people use the DVDs/vids to narrow down which ones they want to travel over and see.

Happytohack

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies - make interesting reading, as I personally would never buy just from a DVD, but apparently, according to one well-known website, a lot of people do - obviously they are not members of this forum!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yes, have done once. Didn't regret it.

And have also bought one from a picture, not even a DVD (it was very cheap and I had very little time to make a decision). Again, havent regretted it.

Obviously go and see it if you possibly can. I wouldnt buy a 'proper' horse (like my main competition horse) from a DVD though. Only ones that are cheap that I plan to sell on (and they've always been unbacked so there's less to be wrong with them!).