Would you buy a second hand rug that needs cleaning?

BlackRider

Visit site
I've got some rugs that I want to sell as they didn't fit well, I've been meaning to get them cleaned before I sell them. I've just found out that there is a horsey table top sale locally on Friday, but I won't be able to get them cleaned by then.

They're rambo stable rugs, so too big for my washing machine - plus I'd never get them dry.

I personally wouldn't buy dirty rugs, but wondered what the consensus was?

Liz H

Visit site
Yes I would if they were in good repair and only ned cleaning. You would have to take the cost of wash/reproofed in your price I suppose. The other way to look at is that if you do have them cleaned you have to charge that on top of the price you want. I will add before anyone jumps on me that I wouldn't put another horses dirty rug on mine until cleaned! where is the sale?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
At the right price. However I think that if the rugs are decent then it is worth you cleaning them because the price difference you are likely to get for them will me more than the cost of cleaning. The only ones I wouldn't bother cleaning are tatty ones that I wouldn't expect much for anyway.

ihatework

Visit site
A decent brand at a decent price then yes I would, but it would go straight to the cleaners before seeing my horse

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
I just sold 1 new and 2 used (and un washed) turnout rugs on preloved. Price was lower due to this but washing and reproofing would have been another £26 which I didn't think I would make back as they were only cheaper rugs in the first place. Do you have to pay or a stall at the sale? If not, it's worth taking the chance in my opinion!

crabbymare

Visit site
I would buy if they looked ok and did not have a layer of hair on the inside or poo caked on the outside. but like everyone else I would have whatever I bought washed before I would use it and from your pooint of view its possibly better to sell unwashed as the price does not change a huge amount and often the difference will not cover the cost of washing so you may as well take them and then just get anything that does not sell cleaned and advertised

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
From experience, people seem to like buying unwashed rugs over more expensive new ones or washed one when attending table top sales, which I find weird! If I am thinking of selling a rug now I don't bother to get it washed as it is not worth the hassle, I get a little less than for a washed one, but it will sell quicker with less hassle.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I won't buy an outdoor washed one, as they are not waterproof then, and I find re-proofing is not as good as the original proofing.

A big stable rug I won't buy secondhand, as they are not easy to wash, and lose bulk even when washed by a pro IME. They can also change size.

I did buy a bargain of a Thermatex, only used twice, perfect other than a few stray hairs, and was absolutely as new after a go in the machine.

bakewell

Visit site
tbh I treat all second hand rugs as needing a wash, even when they look pristine; things like ringworm etc are so contagious I like to be sure myself. I'd definitely buy a quality old one.

I'd just give it a brush/ hoover to get the worst off and to be kind to your table hosts! (And take a roll of binbags for packing)

PuzzlePiece

Visit site
I have done and would do again.
Any used rug that I buy I wash myself, even if it states it has been cleaned.
(Unless it's from someone I know and Im sure it hasn't been used since washed)

luckyoldme

Visit site
depends if the sums add up or not! Ive put newly cleaned and reproofed rugs on ebay and thought afterwards it was a waste of time paying for them to be cleaned .

Spottyappy

Visit site
Yes. Often not financially viable to wash and reproof for sale. Have purchased loads this way, and just brush and hose myself then get done professionally after winter.

montanna

Visit site
Pretty shocked that people would buy second hand rugs & NOT wash them before they used them!? You don't know where it's been - horse could have had ringworm/lice?!

As well as the reasons above, there are so many good deals online now that I don't think I would buy a second hand rug - unless it was a good make & perhaps off a friend at the same yard.

Saying that though, I have sold old rugs (clean I might add - we are lucky enough to have an industrial washer/dryer at our yard) before for nearly the price of a new one! There is def a market for them.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
No, I wouldn't - unless I personally knew the owner & horse - as I'm funny about the transfer of skin disease & so on (I'm probably just OCD though!). To be honest, as Montana said, with eBay & online deals, you can get such good deals on new rugs I haven't bought any second hand.

rug~addict

Visit site
Yes. Ive brought a few that needed cleaning. But I expect them to be cheap as washing costs from £10.00 plus. Its a good way to get good quality rugs for a fraction of the price. I wont use them until they are clean though.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
No, I simply would not buy 2nd hand rugs at all, it is very easy to get brand-new good quality rugs at reasonable prices.

Neither would I sell rugs. If I had a rug which I no longer needed and couldn't recycle it for a different horse, I would donate it to one of the charities.

BlackRider

Visit site
I always buy new high quality rugs, and I've donated well over 20 rugs (and a saddle and lots else) to HAPPA in the last year.

I'm only looking to sell these are they are less than 12 months old, only had a couple of months wear max, as I noticed they where rubbing Apache's neck. They are the rambo stable rugs, and not cheap, so it would be nice to get a little back to offset against the 3 new rugs he's just got. (yes I do have a rug buying addiction I think!)

I'll have a look at the in daylight, and decide from their, but thank you everyone for your comments :)

Highlands

Visit site
Yes I often do but always wash before mine wear. One seller on eBay was bril and for an extra tenner she washed and I think reproofed.

Arizahn

Visit site
Yes I would buy them, particularly at a table top sale as it would be easy to check them for size and possible wear and tear. Not difficult to wash and reproof if need be :)