would you buy a used saddle off eBay?

nfpony

Visit site
(not advertising admin)

currently on the hunt for a vsd/dressage saddle for pony, i have found a used one on eBay that is what I've been looking for, in a brand that fits pony very well, with heat adjustable tree. The pics are okay, its not in perfect condition (it will only be a flatwork/occasional dressage comp saddle so don't mind) and its a bit dirty but i can't see anything horrific for the pics. Its a very reasonable price as its on bid and has had no interest so far. Would you buy? obviously if i did buy it i would have it checked by saddler straight away before using and its the sort of price that if it does go wrong, its an amount of money that I'm prepared to lose. what would you do?

chocolategirl

Visit site
I've bought a saddle on eBay before with no issues. Ask the seller to make sure she gets proof of postage though should there be any problems with delivery.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've bought saddles successfully off ebay in the past.

Make sure you have seen pics of the saddle from every angle, including the underneath showing the gullet and panels, and at least one with a tape measure in place proving the alleged tree size. I have always had to ask vendors for more pics than the ones shown in the original ad.

As long as you can afford the time and money for it to be wrong or faulty, go for it, but it's always a bit of a gamble. Check that the saddle will be appropriately wrapped and protected in a sturdy box for postage, I had one saddle arrive loose in a black bin liner (I returned it).

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Over the years I've bought several & sold a few as well. You can only go by the description & photos. If the saddle has been described properly & the seller is honest then there is no problem. Unfortunately not everyone mis as honest as we may want them to be. On the whole though I've had no problems & been happy with my purchases. I also had good feedback from my buyers of saddles I no longer needed so all good really. :)

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I've bought a saddle on eBay before with no issues. Ask the seller to make sure she gets proof of postage though should there be any problems with delivery.

tbh that's the seller's problem and any seller worth their salt would know that proof of postage means absolutely nothing as they are liable for delivery, not just posting, and should send it tracked.

as for the original question, if the saddle I wanted turned up at the right price, in the right condition then I'd buy it. I have in the past and have some very nice saddles bought almost new for less than a third of their new price. I have had one delivered in a plastic bag only, but it was a cheap one and was undamaged.

Notimetoride

Visit site
Yes I have. I have to be honest, I researched the seller as much as I could, and knew exactly what I wanted. I tried on the same saddle at a saddlery to check the size, then bought off eBay. Just needed a tweek by my saddler and I have a beautiful saddle which fits perfectly, for a really good price. To be a total hypocrite, I wouldn't recommend doing it this way - I just did lots of research and to some extent got lucky.

Dry Rot

Visit site
No hesitation whatsoever -- but with the safeguards mentioned above firmly in place.

If it doesn't fit, put it back up with some decent photos from every conceivable angle with a tape measure along side and you might even sell it for a profit.

Any of us living in a remote location (e.g. Scottish Highlands) will be used to dealing at long distance using the Internet, Ebay, etc. because it works. Just be aware and be careful. Fortunately, there are still a lot of genuine honest people out there.

Makemineacob

Visit site
I've bought my last two off there and not had any issues with them, the last saddle was even delivered for free by the seller as he was worried about trusting it to a delivery company so drove the 80 mile round trip free of charge! :)

mytwofriends

Visit site
I sold one a few years ago, and it ended up going to the States. I was 100% honest with my description, took millions of photos from every angle imaginable, and answered all questions promptly and accurately.

If the advert was placed by a person like me, yes I would have no hesitation. Anything fishy, walk away!

Micropony

Visit site
I'm sure you won't be as daft as me - was after a specific make and model of saddle, but the one I bought was too old. So the tree, although not broken or twisted, wasn't heat adjustable as I had expected, and the gullet was too narrow to give adequate clearance either side of the horse's spine. Saddler told me it was only fit for the bonfire, so that's what I did with it. Totally my own fault for not asking the right questions before I bought it.

uncle max

Visit site
Yes, my saddle fitter told me the make and style my horse was most suited to, told me to shop on ebay, and came and fitted it when it arrived. Saddle was well packed and exactly as described.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yes, my saddle fitter told me the make and style my horse was most suited to, told me to shop on ebay, and came and fitted it when it arrived. Saddle was well packed and exactly as described.

This is exactly what I did. It was an Albion, and was simply out of my price range brand new. The one I got off ebay was a third of the price and in immaculate condition.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I have done so several times and never had an issue. If it's a saddle with a serial number I always contact the manufacturer to make sure the seller details are correct - this has saved me from buying a MW 18" advertised as an XW 17"!

I've also driven a 500 mile round trip to pick one saddle up as the price I won it for was too good to be true (£3k less than new price, but saddle was immaculate and hardly used!) and I wanted to check everything was OK before handing over the cash; plus didn't want to risk it getting lost in the post.

MissTyc

Visit site
I have bought several from Ebay, knowing the exact model I wanted.
Have also sold. I have been lucky and never had any problems in either direction.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
I've bought and sold six in the last 18 months, these were intended to be "interim" saddles rather than permanent Jump & Dressage saddles as my boy was still growing, I tried a few different types as I knew the width fitting and size that suited me, but wasn't sure which make/model best suited my full ID.

I bought some stunning saddles in great condition, often getting two/three year old saddles that would have cost in the region of £2K for under £500, if they didn't suit I sold them on, some I lost out on, some I made money on, in the end it all balanced out.

There where some stunning bargains such as a Jaguar Jump Saddle that had been on a horse and went for £450 (£2K new), also some people who felt that they could work a saddle hard for ten years and then expect to sell it for 80% of its original price. I was never (looks for the right word - Swindled shall we say!) Although a friend was, who bought a saddle advertised as a certain width, that had then been adjusted and wasn't as described, she decided not to persue iy and wrote it off as bad luck.

I made sure I asked all the questions - Has it been altered other than by reflocking, What is the serial number, whats the saddles history, did you buy it New?

Generally you get a feel for them and know to stear away from the dodgy ones, do your homework a lot of saddle manufacturers can tell you the specification of the saddle from the serial number.

Make sure you get a full description and ask the quiestion are there any blemishes/marks/signs of wear, I photograph its packaging before you open it.

pansymouse

Visit site
I've bought at least 6 and never had a dud. My everyday saddle was an eBay buy but I did spend twice as much as I paid for it having it rebuilt underneath (I knew I would have to). I buy Lauriches which haven't been made for about 15 years and I do know lots about the make and what to look for. I'm also a bridle maker so am able to replace girth straps and do stitching on the flaps myself which helps a lot when buying old saddles.