Would you buy a wind sucker if it was perfect in everway?

engab

Visit site
Looking for a horse for my daughter.... Coming off of a 14.2 schoolmaster, she wants to do pc teams and BE90. Needs to be safe and sensible.... I only have a 5k budget... I don't want over 12... Or a mare!...I have found a 16hh gelding that is 7 amazing,y safe, has a good strong record and has recently won a riding club championship, double clears BE100, hacks quiet as a mouse, BUT it windsucks! It's not bad, intact when we tried him we didn't see him do it and was in stable with food. Only said he will only do it sometimes, she is asking £5.5k think she will take 5k.... She said he would be a 10k horse without the vice as he is so straightforward, so would u bite the bullet and buy or would you give it a wide birth??? Never had a cribber before so don't know what complications it comes with! Opinions please? Thanks in advance

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Cribbers have never worried me at all. If he is coming to a smaller, relaxed yard it may get even less of an issue. I don't think cribbing would knock £5k off a horse's value.

be positive

Visit site
There is always a compromise and if the horse is everything you describe the cribbing will be why he is within budget, he could well be worth at least double if he did not crib. Most can be managed, plenty of time out often helps, cribbing can be linked to ulcers so managing diet, possibly scoping to make sure he is clear.
I had one that cribbed and had no health problems, never had colic in his life but could be difficult to keep weight on once he was into his late 20s, he was a very good doer most of his life, the only down side is resale value as many people will be put off so something to bear in mind if selling on is important but he should be seriously considered if he ticks all the boxes and passes the vet.

maisie06

Visit site
It wouldn't worry me at all! I'd take a look and have him vetted, if he ticks all the other boxes - sounds like a fab horse!

Spring Feather

Visit site
Have done and would do again. One of the very best horses I've ever had in my life was one. I would offer market price for what the horse could do, if it cribbed/wind sucked then it would be irrelevant providing I felt the horse was worth the money. Perhaps this horse would be a £7k horse if it didn't crib so perhaps they've already priced it lower than book value?

Stephani

Visit site
depends on how bad it is - we have a gelding that usually does it before and after short feed, and now and again at other times, but it doesn't cause a problem, either for him, us, or our other horses. Interestingly my friend has his full brother and he does it also. However, there are horses who literally will crib on anything and can be a real problem for teeth and muscular development.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Yes mine stopped sucking after 13 months and I feel blessed to have him in my life. Yo has a retired ja who does it constantly - teeth aren't great but he's good weight etc and about 30 so seems ok with it!

MrsNorris

Visit site
Definitely...good horses are so hard to find, but some yards can be very negative about it, worries about others copying etc, so maybe see how they feel about it too?
If you're keeping him at home then not a problem.

Last edited:

khalswitz

Visit site
As long as your yard is happy to have him, then yeah, definitely!! Sounds like you're getting a cracking horse!! It may affect resale value, so be aware of that, but as you're getting him cheap anyway...

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
It wouldn't stop me. Some yards are funny about having wind suckers on the yard as they believe that they will be copied by other horses. Vets will tell you that that's rubbish & an old wives tale.

If that's the only issue the horse has & the horse has the ability that you need then go for it.

-Sj-

Visit site
Slightly different but we have a cribber. So only does it when in the stable. After a little bit of management she is doing it less an less and infact I haven't witnessed her doing it this week at all and all the tape round her stable is intact.
She is the most fab little pony ever, so so so safe. Hacks no probs, so calm and cool in the school on and off leid rein, stands to be groomed by the smallest noisiest kids! perfect little first pony! and would buy her again in a heartbeat!
There are defo worse vices to have!

debsandpets

Visit site
I always used to say that I wouldn't buy a horse with any vice etc, but to be honest I think if it was perfect for your requirements it would be worth a go. If it ticks all the right boxes you could be passing up the opportunity of a lifetime for your daughter. I guess it would also depend on the horses management at the minute and how you would manage it - I think now if I bought a cribbed although it would annoy the hell out of me replacing fencing etc eventually, I would probably allow it to crib if it felt that it wanted to do so, as I have seen so many horses stress out far more from owners trying to force prevention on the animal, rather than try to find a cure, alter their management of the horse etc.

Bex390

Visit site
I would take a punt if he is perfect in every way but if you are keeping him on someone else's yard, make sure they are OK about it. Some won't allow because the vice can be copied by other horses.

Asha

Visit site
I always avoided horses with vices when horse hunting. When we bought my daughters horse, (step up from ponies) we where told no vices. Well she cribs, occasionally. By the time we had seen her do it, daughter was totally smitten. She is a total superstar and my daughter has learnt so much from her, and grown in confidence. The way I see it now, is that no one is perfect, and if this is the only concession its worth it.

Kadastorm

Visit site
Yep i would.
My pony was a cribber up until 2 weeks ago when i moved to a new yard. not done it since! He is stabled overnight and sometimes during the day if bad weather, he's really chilled

the change may help for this horse..

Doormouse

Visit site
Yes, have done and she was the best horse I ever sat on.

I looked at it a bit like smoking, something she did after a meal or when perhaps under stress, seemed to help her and I had no associated health issues.

I currently have one who weaves, not all the time but feed time, turnout time etc, doesnt worry me and his front legs are remarkably good for an 11 year old who has run 34 times! The only problem is when I'm tacking him up, the motion makes me feel sea sick.

If you do get the horse I wouldn't advise trying to stop it by removing surfaces etc that they can do it on, it generally stresses them badly.

WestCoast

Visit site
At least they've been honest about it - more than a lot of sellers would be. You could buy the 'perfect' horse and end up with vices.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I'd be tempted but there is always a reason why a horse has a vice.
If its ulcers they could be sorted or managed so you could get a bargain.
Or it could be more trouble and a lot of expense.

Mr Nick

Visit site
I would take a punt if he is perfect in every way but if you are keeping him on someone else's yard, make sure they are OK about it. Some won't allow because the vice can be copied by other horses.

is this ( the copying)something you've heard or is it verified by research?