Would you buy/loan a horse that was no longer fit to Jump?

harvgj19

Visit site
As the title says really.

Do you think anyone would be interested in a horse that could only be hacked or do dressage? Obviously if it was sold, price would reflect the restrictions.

confused.gif

Nickijem

Visit site
Yes - depending obviously on the severity of the horse's condition but if everything else was ok, ie it was good in traffic, had good manners, hacks out on its own then it will sell - at the right price. There are plenty of people (me included) who are not bothered about jumping anymore - we don't bounce as well as we get older!

reynold

Visit site
yes - I bought one that is fine - cheap price - absolute saint - but he has degenerative loss of sight in one eye that is untreatable (i.e. not a cataract)

he's now almost totally blind in that eye but is otherwise fine

I thought he was totally blind in that side but there was a bucket by the gate where there never should be a bucket - and he knew it was there last week by spooking at it - so he's not as completely blind as I thought

I knew he was going blind that side when I bought him but he's otherwise fine and does actually still jump plain fences like cross poles but I only do that when he's loose schooled so he can decide what he wants to do - and I mean low - i.e. 18 inches

so if the reason for no jumping is one that makes your horse sound for other uses then no reason why people wouldn't buy him at an appropriate price

only problem might be getting insurance - but mine is insured excluding that eye as he passed everything else

conniegirl

Visit site
yes at the right price. I dont jump and dont look for horses that do (my current neddy runs away screaming if you put a jump in front of him).
However ive had a pony with a tendon sheath injury and whilst it cleared up after about 6 months and has never reoccured (in 14 years), id be a bit wary of takeing one on without knowing the severity of the injury, the cause and the prognosis, hence the price would have to be right.