Would you consider helping in exchange for riding nice horse?

molly7886

Visit site
I'm in a dilemma! Like many people I'm struggling with too few hours in the day for my lovely boy. I'm trying to way up the pro's & cons of trying to find someone who would be available on weekdays to do a few stable duties in exchange for rides. I don't require any financial input, just the knowledge that someone responsible & reliable will help me out. I would have the advantage of free help, but as I see it they would have the advantage of free rides on a quality horse in beautiful countryside or sole use of an excellent school (I would even consider occasional competitions if it was the right person!)
Any observations? They would be carefully scrutinised as I wouldn't let just anyone care for my boy but do you think I'm being unrealistic?

Baileysno1

Visit site
I just advertised for a sharer, slightly different senario as horse is on part livery so no duties, but wanted him riding while I'm pregnant, found someone excellent advertised very carefully and hopefully all going well the sharer will start competing over the summer and doing clinics etc, in light of the livery set up I asked for a gesture contribution which hes agreed is fair.

If you offered a share with help at the yard rather than finanical contribution I think you'd find someone. I was able to be pretty flexible which I think is attractive.

Charmaine18

Visit site
I would kill for that opportunity! It would be a dream come true for me, and I'm sure many other people would feel the same - there are so many people who love horses and wants to spend every minute possible around them, but aren't lucky enough to be able to own one themselves. If you advertise on horsey websites and in tack shops and stuff, I'm sure you'll have plenty of takers!
laugh.gif

RachelB

Visit site
I have always shared in return for help - I have yet to find a share owner who wants a financial contribution (well, plenty to be found but I have never had to pay for my shares), and I am hopefully going to start sharing my horse completely free (she rides and that's it)!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Pretty much what I currently do but with a slight twist.
I have sole use of Juno (no one else wants to ride her anyway). Initially it was mentioned about possible financial contribution but that was scrapped as owner finds it far more useful having me look after her other horses when on holiday, away on business etc.
Works well as both of us appreciate the benefits
smile.gif

badgerdog

Visit site
I think you'll have people queuing up for him, especially as he's a lovely horse and you have great facilities and hacking.
You could advertise in local tack shops, interenet and adtrader.
Good luck, I hope you find someone soon who'll appreciate your horse as much as you.

Walrus

Visit site
I've ridden several horses on this basis over the last 10 years as I can't afford one of my own. Sounds like a fabulous deal for someone, if you were in Yorkshire I'd be with you like a shot - your horse sounds lovely.

molly7886

Visit site
Thanks for your comments, think I'll give it a go! I know before I owned him I would've bitten off someones arm for the chance myself so don't know why I was so doubtful. He's a fab allrounder, there isn't a discipline he doesn't get placed in at RC level & events intro/PN so hopefully I'll find someone who will love him like I do!!

maxapple

Visit site
Oh definately. I have a horse who is slowing down a bit and was looking for something else to ride as I couldn't really afford two - so you might find someone in a similar situation.

(I of course, despite not being able to afford it - got another one anyway on loan!! )

jenbleep

Visit site
That's is what I do with C, her owner only works part time but has a family with a disabled husband so appreciates the help - she rides C twice a week or so and I might ride 3/4 times a week so she is nice and fit. I pay £55 for shoes every other time she needs them (so every 12 weeks), and in the winter we share the workload, with her owner doing her in the morning and me in the evening, and vice versa.

I have done this with other owners before, but Johanna is the best so far! I feel very lucky
grin.gif
laugh.gif