Would you consider loaning your horse to this person?

Spottyappy

Visit site
My lovely neighbour (well, one of, As I’m fortunate enough to have several lovely ones) wants to get a horse.
He is Asian, which is relevant, as his long term plan is to do Asian horse dancing, (no comments please about this, as I know it’s emotive) and also some Asian form of jousting.
However, he has absolutely no horse experience, bar sitting on some a couple of times in Kashmir. He can not ride as we know it, but somehow clung on when the horse cantered off!
He is absolutely lovely, and keen to learn but as an Asian male, does not feel a riding school in the home counties is for him, which I understand.
Talking with him today, he said he wondered if someone would loan him a school master type horse for 12-18 months, so he can improve so he can buy his dream Spanish horse once he’s more confident.
He has land, and stables, but the horse would be kept alone, with sheep in the same field.
I am about if he needed advice, and one of his employees has experience of horses, but in Kashmir and that is clearly a very different environment to here! However, it does mean the employee can handle horses if my neighbour did need him to,
Well, would you loan your horse to him, if you needed to rehome it for a year or so?

madamebonnie

Visit site
Probably only if I knew him or you personally. And probably if he kept it with you/at livery for a while first to learn the ropes.

A shame that near me is a good opportunity. A Lady has a yard of riding school type horses that she loans out a few days a week. Basically treat them like your own but help on hand if needed.

Floxie

Visit site
Nope - not to a complete novice, with no horses for company.

Out of curiosity, is there another term for 'asian horse dancing'? I've been looking it up and I think I got the idea from the vids, but there's not much info, so just wondered if there was a better term I could look up to learn more?

9tails

Visit site
Why would a riding school not be a suitable environment for him? No way would I loan my horse to an absolute beginner in charge of her care, even if a knowledgeable neighbour is on hand. The beginner would miss ALL the signs of injury or illness and it would likely be too late once the neighbour is called in.

Sophire

Visit site
No absolutely not. Nothing to do with his ethnicity, or even his intentions for the horse? But purely a worry that there is not enough immediate experience to look after my horse well enough.

HeyMich

Visit site
No, for reasons detailed above - namely the lack of equine company and experience.

Incidentally, I'm very impressed (or rather concerned!) that he thinks he can get up to speed within 12-18 months - can he please share who his instructor/teacher is going to be?!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
For this?

No. Someone who is not at all experienced, with a person who says they are experienced but you don't know, to do this... I can only imagine how some people would teach a horse this. I would imagine you would get a very edgey horse back.

Spottyappy

Visit site
He won’t be using this horse for anything to do with dancing, or jousting, but to gain confidence and knowledge with lessons and assistance. So, your horse would come back as it went. What he needs is an older semi retired type to teach him the ropes.
I can’t have the horse with me, as My yard is private, plus I don’t want liveries either!
I’m not sure he will be up to speed in 12 months, but he will ave gained much more knowledge and riding ability. 12 months was the thought that he will have learned a lot.
Conniegirl, he will be having help, lessons and assistance, so not sure why you assumes he won’t be. Yes, I’m not on call 24/7 but I am quite happy to be texted or what’s apped if he has concerns and I’m not at the yard.
Madambonnie, the set up you have would be perfect, but sadly nothing like that around here that I have ever come across.
9tails, he feels as an older Asian male, he doesn’t feel comfortable in a riding school environment where it is predominately white females, and I think he is worried about what his wife will think if he is spending a lot of time with other females.
View, do you mind telling me the area you are in, and if it would maybe be possible for him to join a group lesson with more Asian men, where he may feel less concerned? Thank you.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Why would any-one even think that someone might loan any horse to a complete novice, with no real support and no equine company for it?

You can take that as a "no!"

BBP

Visit site
Is it tent pegging he is looking to do? It’s very popular in parts of Asia. If so perhaps you could put him in touch with the British tent pegging association. I think there is a group of Pakistani riders who compete in their competitions, he might feel more comfortable speaking to them about where/how to learn than a riding school? (Their tent pegging horses are also taught to dance)