would you consider this good quality of life- cushings?

gothdolly

Visit site
If a horse with cushings was permanently restricted to a small bare pen with horses next to him, but not in with him, as unable to take any grass at all without raising digital pulses, and was unable to be ridden due to lameness (laminitis related and arthritis) walks in hand resulting in footsoreness despite shoeing with equipak, and was not completely field sound (lame at trot) would you consider this a good enough quality of life?

Im not sure
frown.gif

D

Donkeymad

Without knowing the pony, it's hard to say, but from the pure facts - no.

Marchtime

Visit site
As donklet says it's hard to know without knowing the individual pony however it sounds far from ideal. In the short term I think it might be feasable but if long term there is unlikely to be any improvement I think I'd probably be thinking about making a very difficult decision...

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
what has been used with this horse? has the owner (sorry don't know if it is yours...) tried pergolide, trilostane and the other medications available? possibly tried alternative therapies.
Obviously tried remedial farriery etc.....

If all the options had been tried tested and this is still the outcome, Id say it doesn't, in my opinion, sound like the life I would want for my horse, but its a case of owner assessment of their horse... they will surely know if the horse is happy with their state of being or not.

Is it your horse? or a friends?

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
How does the pony look in itself - totally fed up and depressed or reasonably content and bright? As long as it is eating enough to keep it unstressed from hunger, has friends in sight and presumably almost or occasional contact, and is moving fairly comfortably, then OK, probably not a cruelty issue.

Otherwise....

salee

Visit site
my mare has the dreaded cushings too.

i would agree with the postings in general - if all forms of treatments have been tried and the horse has no joy in life left then time to let it go...

but if it still has a spark of fun, gets attention, has friends, then wait, assuming it is an old horse then not getting out might not be as distressing as it would to a younger animal, could pain relief be given for its walks out or can a soft surface be used,

its nice to hear someone actually considering how the horse feels, a lot of owners seem to forget their animal has feelings and emotions too. good luck

merlinsquest

Visit site
By that description alone I would think that it was a pretty poor quality of life and not one that I would consider to be worthwhile
frown.gif
frown.gif

I hope you can find a solution to your problem
frown.gif

spaniel

Visit site
The horse cannot eat grass, move about freely, is in pain, cannot be ridden and cannot interact with other horses. In another circumstance this would be a welfare case.

No, I dont think quality of life is there for this animal.

gothdolly

Visit site
Thanks for your responses. The pony I was referring to was my friend's pony, managed as above (and yes, all drug treatment and special shoeing etc has been tried and exhautsted), but I was asking because Domino has cushings as well and whilst he is not quite in that situation, he grazes on a small bare-ish paddock with my other one, is muzzeled when out, is shod with special shoes and equipak and is not sound enough for me to ride anymore although enjoys a life as a leadrein for my son. My friends pony is a lot older than Domi, but the issues and health history is the same. So for me its important to consider where to draw the line. I dont think its the life I would want for Dom.

thanks
Cassandra

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
I would think that if there is a still a purpose to life etc, and the pony is enjoying it (which only owners will actually know) then I think life is worth keeping

If the horse appears miserable etc then id say thats where the line gets drawn!

hope domino is ok

purplekt1972

Visit site
my old girl (28) has cushings a bad heart and arthritis but still puts me in my place! She is lucky enough to not have any lamanitic symptoms yet and i nearly lost her in Feb due to choke but at present she seems happy. If she wer in the situation as described above i am affraid i would have to have her pts as i would be keeping her alive for me not for her to enjoy life.. It is about quality not quantity. I have been lucky with Kiz had her for 24 years but my young horse now 6 which i have had for 2 years may well have to be pts before Kiz

good luck