would you get the vet for this?

kizmund

Visit site
My horse came in from the field last night lame on her off fore, not hoping but noticeable at walk on a straight line. I checked all her legs and they had not obvious signs of injury. I felt the legs and the inside of her knee on the lame leg was hot but not swollen. I cold hosed for 15 mins and then put her to bed (she's currently in at night and out in the day).
This morning there was no change so I rang the vet and spoke to the receptionist, really I rang to see if I could get some danilon or similar. The receptionist told me I should really have an appointment as it could be tendon damage due to my description?

I've booked an appointment for tomorrow but now I'm thinking maybe I should monitor and cold hose for a few days just in case it's just had a knock? Or keep appointment for tomorrow fearing an emergency appointment over the weekend?!

What would you do?

Last edited:

bonny

Visit site
I wouldn't, chances are it will be an abbcess and that the lameness will get worse so I would wait and then call the farrier. I also wouldn't give painkillers unless you know what you are dealing with.

Arizahn

Visit site
Had it been Monday or Tuesday, I would have continued to monitor and cold hose for thirty minutes three times a day for a couple of days to see if this resolved the issue. I would also have applied arnica and witch hazel to the area after cold hosing in case it was a strain or similar. If there were no improvement by today then I would have booked the vet - and of course if things had gotten worse in the interim. However, as it is Thursday already, I would get the vet rather than risk an emergency Sunday night call out fee. Horses seem to like those! I prefer to err on the side of caution - it's generally cheaper in the long run. The same applies to Bank Holidays etc.

(I understand that many people will probably say farrier for suspected abscesses, but here the vet is frankly easier to get hold of and just as capable with regards abscesses anyhow. Plus he accepts payment via debit or credit card so I don't have to have cash in hand - useful when you don't know in advance how much something may cost!)

Fingers crossed that it is not serious :)

OWLIE185

Visit site
I would call the vet in immediately to get a diagnosis and then treat accordingly.
Farriers are not qualified to diagnose or provide a treatment plan.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You've booked an appointment with the vet & you can't be criticised for that. It's better to have the vet come on a weekday than on a weekend as the fees increase significantly. If after the hosing etc by you there is no improvement then you would need an appointment anyway. I believe that you get a gut feeling after you've examined your horse as to whether you need a vet or not. you've actually seen your horse & you've made a decision & it's probably the right one. :)

Auslander

Visit site
I wouldn't, chances are it will be an abbcess and that the lameness will get worse so I would wait and then call the farrier. I also wouldn't give painkillers unless you know what you are dealing with.

Why do you think it's an abscess? Heat on the inside of the knee isn't usually a symptom of a problem in the foot.

OP - I would be icing it like mad, and getting the vet out on Monday if the horse was still lame.

eggs

Visit site
Does she have a digital pulse?

Like most of the others I'd have done what you did. My vet is very happy to have a quick chat with me on the phone if needs be before deciding if I need to make an appointment.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Why do you think it's an abscess? Heat on the inside of the knee isn't usually a symptom of a problem in the foot.

OP - I would be icing it like mad, and getting the vet out on Monday if the horse was still lame.

This. And lame in walk would be ringing all sorts of alarm bells too. Cover your bases and err on the side of caution.

P

Clodagh

Visit site
I would wait. They can't diagnose tendon injury, by scan, for a few days anyway. I would box rest, bandage and cold hose and see how it goes until Monday.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would worry it could be a tendon or ligament especially as she is lame in walk, I would have got the vet the next morning if no change, one of my horses has just been diagnosed with a holle in his suspensory ligament and has to have 3 months in the box and his fine in walk so I wouldnt wait as you never know.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Does she have a digital pulse?

Like most of the others I'd have done what you did. My vet is very happy to have a quick chat with me on the phone if needs be before deciding if I need to make an appointment.

If the horse did not have a digital pulse it would either be dead or perhaps be getting gangrene .
OP knee injuries are not to be mucked about with I would get the vet .

Illusion100

Visit site
If my horse came in lame in walk with heat on/near a joint the vet would out sharpish. Cold hosing and bandaging, great 1st aid treatment for overnight, however there is no change so imo this needs looked at asap. Better safe than sorry.

Moon Dancer

Visit site
I am another who says vet. A couple of years ago my horse had a hot spot on inside of his knee, size of a 5p so not very obvious and easy to find, was not lame in walk or trot, just didnt quite look right on the lunge. Mine had done a ligament and took over six months to get right.
Hopefully this isn't the case for you but it's not worth taking the risk.

linperrie

Visit site
I'd be inclined to wait another day if it wasn't Thursday already, but as it is get the vet tomorrow. Otherwise sods law will dictate a weekend visit! Mine deffo seems to like a spot of lameness on a Friday night. Or the very odd lump in her mouth on a Saturday that turned out to be food!! Typical!