Would you give up riding for a few years for your perfect horse?

Pluto

Visit site
My friend is looking at buying a horse and she has always wanted a Spanish breed but couldn't afford one as they are always at least £2k plus so she has been looking for a TB or similar which are less costly to buy and make super riding horses (she's had 4 before so is experienced with them) ...

However she's just been offered the most incredible Lusitano x Andalusian filly of 10 months at a very very low price by a lovely breeder who is a freind who just wants a 5* home for her girl and now my friend isn't sure what to do.

If she takes the filly she wont be able to afford another horse so will not be able to ride for at least another 3 years but she has absolutely fallen in love with this filly who will grow to around 15h and has the breeding and temperament to DIE FOR .... Would you give up your riding to take on a youngster?

She does have friends with horses that she could ride ...

JollyTall

Visit site
Sounds amazing, she'll end up with her dream horse and the satisfaction of knowing it is all her own work and the bond they would have would be amazing too.

Sometimes we have to make sacrifices for the things that are important to us :)

giddyupalfie

Visit site
I think she should go for it! I bought one of my boys at 4 months...he's still only 10 months so I've still got one hell of a wait! But it really is very rewarding :D the filly sounds beautiful aswell! Have you got a pic? x

wildcard

Visit site
I did a similiar thing i couldnt afford my 'dream' horse straight away so loaned some for a while.. then similarly what i classed as my dream horse was pricey so i had to buy young and hope i can turn her into my dream horse but like you say breed,temperament colour etc all exactly like i wanted.. she was just 3 when i got her and only just riding out now nearly 6 months later but will mean not much competeing next year for me unfortunately. But have to agree doing it yourself is great.. you know the horse how it reacts etc.. and at the end when you get your first pretty you can say " i did this"..
I think it sounds a great idea.. the reward later will totally outweigh the lack of riding to start with and like you say, people are always wanting help riding there horses to tide you over.. Good look some piccys please if all goes ahead :) xxx

Ally_F

Visit site
YES! I had the same problem earlier this year, and I choose the filly! - I have not once regretted it as she keeps me occupied enough without being able to ride her!

FairyLights

Visit site
:Dyes I have, bought 2 weanlings last year,will ride when they are 4. They are just lovely and I so enjoy teaching them things,to lead,be groomed etc. Its such great fun and a fantastic sense of achievement and you create a very close bond. They are pictured in my blog.

Last edited:

RolyPolyPony

Visit site
I would go for it! If she has friends with horses she can ride then where's the problem? Having a horse, though, isnt JUST about riding! I have a little DHP who i will never be able to ride (she isnt even pushing 10hh!) and although i do have my old boy who i can ride, i sometimes prefer working with them on ground than riding!