Would you hack 4 miles road work to a jumping or flatwork lesson?

ls0311

Visit site
Obviously the horse would be fit and we would all be aware he has to hack back after the lesson, but I'm questioning how fair on him it would be regardless. It's 4 miles there, and another 4 back.

Mostly walking with a bit of trot here and there.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I once hacked 3.5 miles to a show, did two classes then hacked back. It was fine. Depends on the horse but if they are generally fit and well I don't see a problem.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
If the horse or pony is fit then I wouldn't see an issue with it. We used to regularly do 7 miles round roadwork hacking mostly walk with bits of trot to the riding club, both lessons, rallies & even shows doing a few classes.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Yes, I used to hack a similar distance regularly to/from an hour’s lesson before I got a trailer. You’ve got the right idea in taking it steady both ways.

ETA And a slightly shorter distance for a regular series of RC shows with dressage/working hunter/ SJ.

Carrottom

Visit site
I would hack there as long as there was somewhere I could offer my horse a drink after the lesson and would probably look to walk him in hand for the first 15 mins or so on the way home.

ls0311

Visit site
I would hack there as long as there was somewhere I could offer my horse a drink after the lesson and would probably look to walk him in hand for the first 15 mins or so on the way home.
The instructor is also a friend, and it's their yard, so he could definitely have a drink and could even have a rest there for a bit if really necessary. I wouldn't plan to do enough to warrant that but for if any reason it was needed, it would be possible.

ETA I realised it looks like I meant he wouldn't need a drink, I meant he shouldn't be working so hard that we would have to stop off at the yard for a rest after

Last edited:

huskydamage

Visit site
I would think nothing of it. But then i am crazy enough that I regularly hack around 2hrs to get to competitions, clinics etc. If its an all day long thing I give her a rest in the middle. I tracked one outing on my phone and my horse did a 30mile round trip including the xc schooling in the middle. She is just as hyper on the way home not fazed at all you can literally go all day on her. If you horse is fit 4 miles (or 8 i guess there and back) is nothing.

TGM

Visit site
In my youth (which admittedly was a long time ago) I hacked further than that to a one day event, competed, and then hacked home. As long as the horse is fit enough I don't see the problem.

RHM

Visit site
I hack to lessons all the time a similar distance. I just walk him there so he is still pretty fresh for the lesson. Wouldn’t think twice about it!

Last edited:

HobleytheTB

Visit site
I was just a contemplating the same thing for a clinic on Sunday! Mine is slightly less at 3 miles, all on bridle paths. Should be a good chance to get the muscles warm on the way there, and a cool off plod on the way home. Can't imagine the TB will actually plod home, but you never know!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes, I too "in the old days" before we had a trailer we used to hack to shows, hunting and Pony Club rallies. It will take a long time, but then if you factor in the time to hitch up a trailer, load all your stuff, drive there and unload.

I used to hack over to do some indoor dressage about 3 miles. The only downside was that there was no where for stuff or tie up and I couldn't really leave the horse unattended as she was inclined to kick.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
4 miles isn't really very far-if the roads there are ok to ride on I'd not think twice about it. I'm another who grew up hacking to shows and hunting-we used to do an 8 mile round hack to hire the nearest arena and jumps.

Highflinger

Visit site
I hacked a good 3 miles to a show last year did two classes and hacked back He walked out so well on the way back he caught up with & strolled past a couple of thoroughbreds. He is 14.2 and 28. Once back in the field he had a good roll & galloped off to his mates.

Snowfilly

Visit site
I used to hack a 10.2 Shetland 3 miles to a yard, do a PC rally or lesson and hack home!

I've often hacked 5/6 miles to a show and done several classes, then hacked back. My last pony used to ride 3.5 miles to the local riding school, do an hour's jumping lesson and hack home once a fortnight.

It doubles as a really good warm up and cool down; a short walk on the way back can really help your muscles recover but I've never known a horse need it.

Local shows and yards are normally good about you leaving stuff there as well; I'd drop a spare collapsible bucket in so he can drink with no sharing risks, and maybe a flash of tea for yourself if it's cold.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I do lol at the grew up hacking to hunting etc. We were hacking to hunting 2 years ago within a 5 mile radius and would still be doing so if he weren't too old and we were still in wilts :D. I also used to go for a hack before my lessons and come back to the yard to limber him up

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I do lol at the grew up hacking to hunting etc. We were hacking to hunting 2 years ago within a 5 mile radius and would still be doing so if he weren't too old and we were still in wilts :D. I also used to go for a hack before my lessons and come back to the yard to limber him up

there's been multiple threads about this over the years about hacking a bit to go somewhere-I get from a busy roads POV it may not be desirable, but from whether a horse can do it POV its a no-brainer isn't it? just that people seem to box everywhere these days/everyone has an arena. on livery yards I've been on, some people seem to think 30-45mins is a decent hack lol.

windand rain

Visit site
Yes used to hack everywhere including early starts hacking 15 miles to hunter trial and hack home didnt have access to transport so wherever we went we hacked. 6 miles to the beach was a weekly occurance race along the beach for miles flat out and hack home. Those were halcyon days
It is me thats too old for it now